2018 Dodge Journey

I recently bought the '18 journey based on a few factors I was looking for. price was one. I got it with 69k miles for $11,300.

the look and lines are really pleasant and I think it has a nice profile. better than the Durango to me. I also like the headlights better pre-2019.

I did research the issues etc before I bought. I found the 6-speed all wheel drive 3.6l vvt setup has a different transmission than the FWD. It shows more reliability with far less issues than the other transmissions in this vehicle. i believe it is a bit stronger design-wise.

I plan to service the tranny soon because I have no history on previous service of the transmission in carfax. Shifting is smooth and steady, however, it does tend to hard shift if you "jerk it around". I do steady acceleration and stay conscious about how it shifts.

the color I got is black. (see Pic) I travel a lot locally and it seems to get about 24mpg consistently according to the fuel efficiency monitor. I have double-checked it t fill ups and it seems to get 1mpg less than the average it shows. I am resetting the mpg at each fill up to see if that still happens.

the 37cu ft with 3rd row seats down is very sufficient to carry 4 passengers and all my supplies. I put a 40" x 72 inch heavy duty outdoor carpet in the rear and mounted velcro to the backs of the 2nd row seats to protect the covering from factory. works great and I can just remove the carpet and shake it out for a quick cleaning between car washes.

so far r its a very nice vehicle for the price and I'm looking forward to a lot of good use out of it!

I know in 2022 they are discontinuing manufacturer until they move to production in Italy in 2023. like the jeep renegades, etc. I may trade in then if I like the models from Italy. should be good.

i would recommend the AWD 3.6l vvt with 6-speed tyranny especially if you live north of Florida.

I am happy with it so far.

Screenshot_20201218-202831.jpg

Nice. My aunt has a blue one she’s been hit several times in it it’s a magnet for hits lol. She has had a lot of electrical issues with it but luckily me and my uncle are mechanics and can fix it. Hers is a 2015 very bright blue.

I recently bought the '18 journey based on a few factors I was looking for. price was one. I got it with 69k miles for $11,300.

the look and lines are really pleasant and I think it has a nice profile. better than the Durango to me. I also like the headlights better pre-2019.

I did research the issues etc before I bought. I found the 6-speed all wheel drive 3.6l vvt setup has a different transmission than the FWD. It shows more reliability with far less issues than the other transmissions in this vehicle. i believe it is a bit stronger design-wise.

I plan to service the tranny soon because I have no history on previous service of the transmission in carfax. Shifting is smooth and steady, however, it does tend to hard shift if you "jerk it around". I do steady acceleration and stay conscious about how it shifts.

the color I got is black. (see Pic) I travel a lot locally and it seems to get about 24mpg consistently according to the fuel efficiency monitor. I have double-checked it t fill ups and it seems to get 1mpg less than the average it shows. I am resetting the mpg at each fill up to see if that still happens.

the 37cu ft with 3rd row seats down is very sufficient to carry 4 passengers and all my supplies. I put a 40" x 72 inch heavy duty outdoor carpet in the rear and mounted velcro to the backs of the 2nd row seats to protect the covering from factory. works great and I can just remove the carpet and shake it out for a quick cleaning between car washes.

so far r its a very nice vehicle for the price and I'm looking forward to a lot of good use out of it!

I know in 2022 they are discontinuing manufacturer until they move to production in Italy in 2023. like the jeep renegades, etc. I may trade in then if I like the models from Italy. should be good.

i would recommend the AWD 3.6l vvt with 6-speed tyranny especially if you live north of Florida.

I am happy with it so far.
Looks like a lot of vehicle for the money!

Nice. My aunt has a blue one she’s been hit several times in it it’s a magnet for hits lol. She has had a lot of electrical issues with it but luckily me and my uncle are mechanics and can fix it. Hers is a 2015 very bright blue.
Hey maybe you can help me. I got a check engine light that points to O2 sensor. I suspect a small exhaust leak. probably at the Y-pipe junction or other connection. I'm going to smoke the tailpipe and see if that's the issue.

but there is a clanking when I go over bumps. like if I drove it through a field the small bumps would be easy to hear metal on metal hitting. I don't know if it's the brake calipers or a bushing on a shock or rod in the front end. - any ideas?

Hey maybe you can help me. I got a check engine light that points to O2 sensor. I suspect a small exhaust leak. probably at the Y-pipe junction or other connection. I'm going to smoke the tailpipe and see if that's the issue.

but there is a clanking when I go over bumps. like if I drove it through a field the small bumps would be easy to hear metal on metal hitting. I don't know if it's the brake calipers or a bushing on a shock or rod in the front end. - any ideas?
Could be a number of things. I’ve also seen loose exhaust do that but don’t think that would be the case on something this new. It could be the sway bar end link bushings have went bad and causing them to move around. Could be a bushing in the control arm or something too.

My dad had a Journey with the 3.6L/6 speed AWD configuration. He really liked it and it served him well up to 120k miles. His front suspension did wear early, requiring replacement. That could be what's happening on yours as well, causing the clunking.

If you happened to get it certified pre-owned it will have a 3 month/3,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty.

Got one as a rental while my 2011 Durango was getting a new AC compressor. It was a FWD model, but had the 3.6.... I was pleasantly surprised by the Journey and almost bought one when we traded the Durango in. Love that 3.6 motor!

Problems already? Take it back to the dealer.

If you happened to get it certified pre-owned it will have a 3 month/3,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty.

Got one as a rental while my 2011 Durango was getting a new AC compressor. It was a FWD model, but had the 3.6.... I was pleasantly surprised by the Journey and almost bought one when we traded the Durango in. Love that 3.6 motor!
yea I found out about the bumper to bumper. every problem is a $100 deductible. I already spent $200 on the "warranty" work. I can take it from here except the oil leak if they over tightened the filter. then I'll get an oil change and report the problem like I should have last time. can't nail it on them for the last time.
hey, if you take that filter off yourself, should you drain the oil pan first? it seems the filter is on top of the engine. just wondered if it's empty until you start the vehicle.

Solid but generally anonymous SUV that few people have even heard of. That it's been around a dozen years means Chrysler got their monies worth and can sell them at a reasonable price. Kinda looks like a stretched Caliber.

Could be a number of things. I’ve also seen loose exhaust do that but don’t think that would be the case on something this new. It could be the sway bar end link bushings have went bad and causing them to move around. Could be a bushing in the control arm or something too.
look what else I have.
yeah I may take it to get alignment checked. that way they'll find all these "problems" and say they can't do the alignment until they fix them. at least I can look at the front end up on a rack instead of a floor jack.
oh look what I am also working on. just about ready to start it. need to flush the fuel tank first.

RR
IMG_20201219_103138462.jpg

look what else I have.

yeah I may take it to get alignment checked. that way they'll find all these "problems" and say they can't do the alignment until they fix them. at least I can look at the front end up on a rack instead of a floor jack.
oh look what I am also working on. just about ready to start it. need to flush the fuel tank first.

RR View attachment 37360
Yeah start with alignment. That’s an awesome beetle I see the Virginia plate on it are you in Virginia as well? What year is that? Mine is a 1973 sitting on a 73 chassis but the body is a 71 Super.

Yeah start with alignment. That’s an awesome beetle I see the Virginia plate on it are you in Virginia as well? What year is that? Mine is a 1973 sitting on a 73 chassis but the body is a 71 Super.
sorry I gave no info. 72 1600 dp. I cleaned out all rust and fiberglassed the wheel wells and floor. pretty much eliminated the heater channels but left it so I could run heat out under the back seats.
after all this I am putting pertonix electronic ignition on it and electric fuel pump.
then body work, hippie paint job then hit car/bug shows.

Last edited:
sorry I gave no info. 72 1600 dp. I cleaned out all rust and fiberglassed the wheel wells and floor. pretty much eliminated the heater channels but left it so I could run heat out under the back seats.
after all this I am putting pertonix electronic ignition on it and electric fuel pump.
then body work, hippie paint job then hit Sar shows.
interesting. yeah, sort of does. I like the cargo space. somewhat non existan with 3rd row in use. BTW I just had 6 very large people in it for a shopping trip. a little crowded in the 3rd row but we made it. I generally plan to use the 3rd row down for cargo and sports equipment.

interesting. yeah, sort of does. I like the cargo space. somewhat non existan with 3rd row in use. BTW I just had 6 very large people in it for a shopping trip. a little crowded in the 3rd row but we made it. I generally plan to use the 3rd row down for cargo and sports equipment.
That’s great. I’m putting an ignition electrical assembly in mine it’s the piece behind the ignition barrel mine burnt lol but I checked all the wiring the wiring is fine just that piece needs replaced. I actually bought the Beetle from my high school automotive teacher. Where mine has the 71 dash it’s a real pain to change but I’m managing it. It was the only Beetle I could find in my area at my price range lol.

That’s great. I’m putting an ignition electrical assembly in mine it’s the piece behind the ignition barrel mine burnt lol but I checked all the wiring the wiring is fine just that piece needs replaced. I actually bought the Beetle from my high school automotive teacher. Where mine has the 71 dash it’s a real pain to change but I’m managing it. It was the only Beetle I could find in my area at my price range lol.
I was selling a boat and the guy buying it drives over in this beetle. well the thousand or so we were apart on the boat allowed me to get the bug in the deal.
it had a huge hesitation. I put a weber 2bbl on and it runs a lot better but, I can't keep the dwell set and starting is difficult at times, so, going electronic on ignition.
just replaced all grounds and wires to the starter and battery.

Back