2018 Dodge Journey Crossroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first of all I must apologize as I did not take any pictures of the rental but wanted to post a review, nonetheless. I had some car troubles on Friday (ended up being a loose fan connector) so I made a last minute reservation on Friday with Avis. I must be honest and say I have always had negative views on many domestics but I have alot of positive things to say about a couple domestics I have rented.

So this model had V6, leather, sunroof, fold down entertainment console (screen in backseat) Alpine audio or the speakers at least were. Car had about 8600kms on it. The back passenger side speaker was definitely blown.

I must say the interior fit and finish exceeded my expectations. Heated seats and steering wheel worked nice, infotainment system worked well also. Seats were very comfortable and it drove bigger than it looks (positive in my eyes). Third row seats are very easy to move forward as I had no need for them but did appreciate the cargo space. I also noticed some neat little storage under the floors in the backseat! Thought this was a minor detail but still very nice when extra space is always appreciated.

The look of the vehicle I found to be quite ordinary and plain. Not ugly not beautiful. Ok I guess. The front fascia was nice, back meh...Backup camera worked well also and seemed to be of decent quality.

The engine is their Pentastar 3.6 V6, an engine I found to be good in the Grand Caravan. I havent looked at the specs but found it to be merely okay in this Journey, sufficient but not near exciting no matter how hard you stomp on it. The 6 speed transmission was also not my favorite, seemed to act like a CVT at times, not sure of which gear to be in. I have to say I thought the 8 speed transmission they use in the Chrysler 300 to be much smoother. I drove it for almost a full tank and got 430kms on it. Now the thing that I found to be the most shocking..my gas mileage came out to 15.9mpg. I wont lie, I really gave it some gas at times but about 200-250kms was highway driving. Tire PSI was normal (within whatever range the sensor thought was ok). I think I averaged about 12-13L per 100km with the Chrysler 300.

+
Ride quality & comfort
Ride height
Interior fit and finish/materials

-
Gas consumption 15.9mpg
Transmission unrefined
Driver space layout could be better (could use more legroom for tall drivers)
Sound quality was just ok(not considering the bad speaker that was buzzing at mid volume)

Overall has a few things going for it, my wife also liked it. Unfortunately the engine, transmission and poor mileage would sadly keep me away. Maybe a V8, and the 8 speed trans would make me consider one.

I never submitted a review for the Chrysler 300 that I rented in December, just to summarize, I liked it alot! It was the 300C model, leather, V6, 8 speed transmission. I feel the 8 spd controlled the power band of the V6 much better but it still didnt feel fast. Tons of interior room, very comfortable, great fit and finish, pretty good sound system (subwoofer in trunk). Negatives: V8 would be better option and trunk waas very small.

All in all both vehicles exceeded my negative views in many ways. Hope my review is helpful
smile.gif

I have two Dodges in my garage. The Durango, my DD, I would recommend every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's been a fantastic vehicle!

My wife's Journey is somewhat of a Tango Union Romeo Delta. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that I like. It doesn't behave like a car or SUV - I haven't figured out what it is yet. Acceleration is lacking considering its size and the Pentastar engine. Tranny bounces between 5 & 6 too much for my liking. AWD system leaves a lot to be desired. The seats are comfortable but I don't like the space of the passenger seat. The second row has plenty of leg room but the third row can only seat young ones or very, very small adults. The vehicle is very long in the tooth and needed an update 5 years ago.

Either way, I wasn't crazy about it when the wife picked it out and have grown to be less of a fan in the 3 years we've owned it.

I was behind a royal blue Journey Crossroad at a red light yesterday...I had never seen, nor heard of the Crossroad.

The Journey is something I have never quite understood. What is it supposed to be? Makes me think of the Toyota Venza, not quite a minivan, not a sedan.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I was behind a royal blue Journey Crossroad at a red light yesterday...I had never seen, nor heard of the Crossroad.

The Journey is something I have never quite understood. What is it supposed to be? Makes me think of the Toyota Venza, not quite a minivan, not a sedan.

Id class it as an SUV or maybe crossover. The Venza was more car like to me considering the lack of a third row in it.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
It's okay...drove one and it felt quite heavy to me....

Yes, that and the poor fuel economy seems to point that it would benefit from a V8.

The Journey was quite popular in my area for some reason, mostly to avoid the minivan and to get AWD I guess. I think for many families the 5+2 seating arrangement isn't a terrible idea either.
If they were as heavily discounted as the Caravans were I would've had a good look at them but for nearly the same price as a Sorrento/Highlander/Pilot they fell off the radar...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back