2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 Serviced

This is my 2018 Silverado 3500 that I bought new 4 years ago. I purposely bought this truck for the 6.0L gas motor (no AFM--Cylinder Deactivation) and before the new unknown 6.6L gas updated motor arrived in 2019 in the 3/4 and 1 tons. This is the WT, so it's a no-frills truck. On-Star delete. But it did come with Snow Plow package (skid plate under the transfer case) and it has factory spray in bed-liner and 5th wheel hitch as well. I added a roll-up bed over and the Headache Rack.

Right now she sits at 94k miles. I've had minimal issues with the truck. The oxygen sensors pre and post catalytic converter....that's about it. Gas is a bit of an expense now, and she always runs right at 11.5 MPG's regardless of what I'm doing. This truck is rarely worked and does tow 14-24' trailers occasionally because of my garden tractor hobby/business. I love the truck and couldn't be happier with it. If I could go back, I would have gotten a crew cab with the 8' bed.

I have a great service manager at my local Chevy dealer and have used him regularly in this truck's maintenance. Last week here's what the truck received at the Dealership using all AC Delco fluids and filters:

--Drop tranny pan, clean it out, and replace filter
--Complete ATF fluid exchange
--Drain and refill front and rear axles
--Drain and refill transfer case
--Flush and refill the engine's coolant
--Replace spark plugs with factory platinum plugs

I know some people are going to ask, the dealer charged me $1150 for all of those services. On the transmission, the pan was dropped at 38K miles and a new filter was installed. At 68k miles, a complete ATF exchange was also done.

Last spring (2021), I had the brake fluid flushed and replaced along with having all 4 calipers removed, cleaned, and re-lubricated. Factory 1-ton brakes in a truck that isn't worked last FOREVER and I am trying to prevent a stuck caliper from wearing out some pads and warping a rotor. The spring of 2023, I'll have this brake service done again.

The truck runs and drives like new. I'm hoping to get 400k miles out of her, which isn't uncommon for these 6.0L's and properly maintained 6L90's.

And this is BITOG, so as far as OCI's....She's been getting a steady diet of M1 5W30EP (4 quarts) + M1 Racing 0W50 (2 quarts) and Royal Purple oil filters. Napa Gold Heavy Duty Air Filters.

Attachments

• Truck in 2022.jpg
    Truck in 2022.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 95
Peace of mind especially if you have a good relationship with a dealer service department.

I love this truck.

Plain and simple and ready to do whatever. Just enough convenience.

I think I remember when you bought this truck. Good to hear it's treating you well (and you're treating it well). I prefer simple work trucks too but they're hard to find.
Agreed, I daily an '07 F150 XL w 2V 4.6. Rubber floors, manual door locks, manual windows. Most importantly perhaps....lever-shifted t-case! It's been a great parts runner and the regular cab makes it easy in tight parking lots.

That is the reason ( $$$ ) I do my own maintenance and servicing.
No doubt I could have saved myself some money, but here's what it would have cost to buy the materials myself:
8 Iridium plugs: $120
Amsoil ATF: $380 (tranny and transfer case)
Amsoil Gear Lube for Axles: $100
Coolant: $50

So that's $650. Yep, I could have saved $500, but it sure was nice sitting in the dealership, looking at some Medium Duties (6500 4X4's), drinking coffee, and thumbing through my work emails on my phone while someone else was under the truck getting those hard to reach rear plugs out from the wheel wells and unhooking/moving the exhaust so they can drop the tranny pan.

No doubt I could have saved myself some money, but here's what it would have cost to buy the materials myself:

So that's $650. Yep, I could have saved $500, but it sure was nice sitting in the dealership, looking at some Medium Duties (6500 4X4's), drinking coffee, and thumbing through my work emails on my phone while someone else was under the truck getting those hard to reach rear plugs out from the wheel wells and unhooking/moving the exhaust so they can drop the tranny pan.
Your numbers are a tad off there (the plugs are roughly $50 from Rock Auto and I’m sure the dealer didn’t use AMSOIL fluids) but I personally don’t think you got that bad of a deal. $1150 to give you peace of mind that your vehicle should last a long time isn’t a bad deal in my head. As long as you trust that the dealer actually did the tasks of course…

How much is the labor cost per hour? there was lots of work done. The 3/4 and 1 ton Tucks ups are heavy duty as compared to a half ton.

Your dealer uses AMSOIL?? That's one heck of a dealer! I have a set of AC Delco Iridiums for my Express, along with a case or so of (approved Dex VI) Mag 1 ATF, and some RP 75W90 Max Gear for the rear axle (& Dexcool), but it sure wasn't $650! Considering insane used truck prices, your Silverado is probably worth more than you paid for it 4 years ago!

The transfer case and differentials actually have a shorter service interval than the transmission on these according to the manual.

I don't know how the 6.6 will be in the long run but it is way better than the 6.0 on power and a little better on fuel economy. Plus I think the basic trim interior is better on the newer ones that that year. More room.

As long as they did all of these services with the fluids they said they did.

Years ago on my new Chevy truck, I took it to the dealer to get the front end greased because I didn't feel like doing it. I ended up checking their work anyway and all of the grease fittings that were behind the front skid plate, they never touched. I ended up doing those myself because I didn't have time to take it back but I called them and told them what a crappy job someone had done. Needless to say, I didn't take it back for any type of maintenance.

Reactions: GON
Your dealer uses AMSOIL?? That's one heck of a dealer! I have a set of AC Delco Iridiums for my Express, along with a case or so of (approved Dex VI) Mag 1 ATF, and some RP 75W90 Max Gear for the rear axle (& Dexcool), but it sure wasn't $650! Considering insane used truck prices, your Silverado is probably worth more than you paid for it 4 years ago!
No....the dealer doesn't use AMSOIL. I was just using those as examples (because AMSOIL is about the same price as the Dealer's AC Delco fluids....and if I was doing it myself, I would have bought AMSOIL).

So that's why I quoted AMSOIL prices if I was going to do it in my driveway.

I think the dealer charged me $80/hour for labor. But yes, I also had to pay dealer prices for AC Delco fluids and Iridium Plugs.....

And yes, I know the work was done. I went back to the service bays and looked things over while the truck was up in the air. I saw all the empty quarts of gear lube on his work bench, the ATF exchange machine was hooked up, I inspected the old ATF filter, he gave me the plugs back numbered in a box so I could look at them (per my request....and they all looked VERY good), etc. etc. This is why I enjoy and trust y dealer's service department. They are very transparent and are happy to let me look around while they do their work.

No....the dealer doesn't use AMSOIL. I was just using those as examples (because AMSOIL is about the same price as the Dealer's AC Delco fluids....and if I was doing it myself, I would have bought AMSOIL).

So that's why I quoted AMSOIL prices if I was going to do it in my driveway.

I think the dealer charged me $80/hour for labor. But yes, I also had to pay dealer prices for AC Delco fluids and Iridium Plugs.....

And yes, I know the work was done. I went back to the service bays and looked things over while the truck was up in the air. I saw all the empty quarts of gear lube on his work bench, the ATF exchange machine was hooked up, I inspected the old ATF filter, he gave me the plugs back numbered in a box so I could look at them (per my request....and they all looked VERY good), etc. etc. This is why I enjoy and trust y dealer's service department. They are very transparent and are happy to let me look around while they do their work.

Sounds rare, but good.

Probably the difference is I live in Rural Indiana and Ohio. The Chevy dealership I take it to is in a town of 6,000 folks and the nearest town with over 100,000 is over an hour away.

Where I find corn and soybean fields....I typically find honest people.

I used to drive into all parts of Indiana and Ohio on sales calls......the dealerships out in the rural areas looked like they were built in the 1970's (this is 2004-2012) but I guarantee the folks who shop there and work there probably take care of each other.

Unfortunately hardly any of those dealer types in the Buffalo area. Everything is West-Herr.

Family friend worked for one of the last tiny family-owned Chevrolet dealers that unfortunately closed for good earlier this year.

OP sounds like you paid fair if not going rate price and were satisfied with the outcome. Isn't that the end game after-all though, being satisfied where you spend your dollar.

Also, side note... where are you buying 8 Iridium plugs for $50. Usually around $10 a plug. If you're not figuring in shipping on RockAuto then the number is artifically augmented.

That's not bad considering how many miles on the truck. It's a fair amount of work. $80.00/hour is pretty low for labor these days. Of course there are the cheapskates and dealer hate that come out in threads like these.

Last edited:
An ATF exchange is a bit beyond what an shade tree mechanic can do. This typically requires disconnecting the ATF cooler lines and hooking them up to a machine. The pump in the transmission is used to exchange the old for the new.

$80 an hour!?!?!!! Around these parts the hourly rate is about $150.

Back