2018 Buick Regal TourX as used vehicle -- opinions / experiences?

Went to a local dealer this afternoon to test drive one, they had a 2018 Preferred w/ sights and sound package, about 38K miles.

The preferred package impressed me as a base model-- there wasn't much there that I don't have in my 25 year old Maxima, except the mandatory backup camera, steering wheel controls, and some other things I don't find essential. The sights and sounds package gets you a better display in the cluster (from what research I've done) which is still pretty rudimentary IMO. It shows the normal stuff for a modern car (fuel economy, range left, tire pressure [all 4 wheels which is a bonus], maintenance interval, vehicle voltage, etc.) Nothing important like most Chryslers show (oil pressure / temp & trans temp, engine hours), the stuff I'd be interested in. Sights and sounds also includes the Bose audio system and a remote start.

I walked away from the interior thinking BLAH. Basically nice rental car quality is how I'd describe it, definitely no luxury feel to it, but I didn't expect that being a lower-option model. I sure hope the Essence / top of the line model (what I'd be interested in) is big a step forward in that regard. But I fully understand I'm looking at a Buick, not an Audi. But the baseness of the Preferred package leaves me wondering why anyone would buy it, given all the things it's missing for a 2018.

The highlights?

The 2.0L turbo engine and transmission seemed wonderful. Granted I'm on a 10 mile test drive, so I can't put it through my usual routine, but it impressed me. The 8 speed trans allowed the torque/power to be present regardless of what driving situation I was in, and shifted very smoothly. Awesome grunt at low-mid RPMs (a bit of turbo lag off the line), decent top end power. Moves plenty quick for me. The steering feel is probably among the best cars I've driven, handling / suspension I had no complaints.

Exterior still impresses me. The rear end is a bit too much of a bubble / hangs over the rear wheels too much, and not a huge fan of the aesthetics back there in general, but that's the compromise you get with a wagon. The front end and sides I wouldn't change a thing, and I feel like that really makes this car. This trim had standard halogen lights, but at least has standard fog lights. I was worried about the plastic cladding they use over the wheel wells to pretend to be a CUV, but it's nicely done and not offensive. But plastic cladding fades and turns a white grey with time, so I have that in the back of my mind.

At this point I can't make a buying decision until I get behind the wheel of a loaded model, but I like the vehicle enough to travel to where I can find one.. So that'll happen when I find one not too far away (and I look south due to potential rust) that's a decent price versus mileage. Until then, I'll look up similar models from other brands that are available locally and test drive those.

Here's a couple photos I took; sorry for the bad lighting, sun was beating down on us. If anyone has any suggestions on similar models in the <20-24K price range (40-80K miles I'd be okay with), I'd love to hear them.

Attachments

• IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 30
Was back on the prowl today and found two in Columbus, OH that are worth looking at. I wouldn't make the trip for just one, but the fact there's two very close to each other that sort of fit my criteria (both are loaded, one is higher miles than I'd like) I'll probably waste a day and some gas looking at them.

The only bad thing going for both is they're from northern states according to Carfax. One from Michigan, one from upstate NY / southern VT. Only way I would buy either car is if they would be willing to put them on a lift so I could take a look underneath. If not, I'll walk away, but at least I'll have been behind the wheel of a loaded model so I can decide whether to pursue them further. These are very rare cars indeed; a few others exist that check all the boxes but in some far-flung location that is too far to drive. Might turn out to be a waiting game, which is okay, my daily driver still soldiers on. If I could find one in say, Nashville (close drive and away from rust issues), that would be my preference.

Made appointments with both dealers for tomorrow, will report back with what I find.

Was back on the prowl today and found two in Columbus, OH that are worth looking at. I wouldn't make the trip for just one, but the fact there's two very close to each other that sort of fit my criteria (both are loaded, one is higher miles than I'd like) I'll probably waste a day and some gas looking at them.

The only bad thing going for both is they're from northern states according to Carfax. One from Michigan, one from upstate NY / southern VT. Only way I would buy either car is if they would be willing to put them on a lift so I could take a look underneath. If not, I'll walk away, but at least I'll have been behind the wheel of a loaded model so I can decide whether to pursue them further. These are very rare cars indeed; a few others exist that check all the boxes but in some far-flung location that is too far to drive. Might turn out to be a waiting game, which is okay, my daily driver still soldiers on. If I could find one in say, Nashville (close drive and away from rust issues), that would be my preference.

Made appointments with both dealers for tomorrow, will report back with what I find.
Since you've got the DD its nice to wait until a local one you want shows up. I find almost every time I drive too far for a vehicle it never looks as good as the pictures, or it isn't as advertised, and then the owner doesn't want to negotiate a reasonable price for what they're actually selling...

Since you've got the DD its nice to wait until a local one you want shows up. I find almost every time I drive too far for a vehicle it never looks as good as the pictures, or it isn't as advertised, and then the owner doesn't want to negotiate a reasonable price for what they're actually selling...
I should have updated this thread, essentially closing it.

The vehicle search in Columbus, OH actually panned out. The first one I looked at checked all the boxes, price was right, condition was good. I have a thread about the new vehicle here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-to-me-2018-buick-regal-tour-x-essense.366427/

Back