2018 Buick Regal TourX as used vehicle -- opinions / experiences?

Body parts, the rest is GM parts bin. Like my Caprice.

Yeah owners will have no problem getting replacement parts for the TourX. A friend of mine is currently looking to buy one and has zero concerns about this.

Yeah owners will have no problem getting replacement parts for the TourX. A friend of mine is currently looking to buy one and has zero concerns about this.
Please explain how easy it will be to get body parts- for a model which sold 10,000 units and is sourced from Europe?

The Regal GS is a hidden gem also and it’s a lift back too!

F4854998-1B9A-4635-BCF8-E9810ECD7E72.jpeg

C2DC57C6-0BEF-4B19-A8CD-5BABB3E000C1.jpeg

356426F8-DC45-485F-BE15-8F20B03BF228.jpeg

0172C2B2-0E59-4D18-9DC7-18B13817E215.jpeg

020C2957-9D53-47B7-B7D8-3C514AE0FEEA.jpeg

49A8D5CC-B779-4500-9AF7-28D57F66A355.jpeg

I seem to remember that a manufacturer is required to provide parts for a discontinued model for 10 years, though ICBW.

Please explain how easy it will be to get body parts- for a model which sold 10,000 units and is sourced from Europe?

That's the insurance company's problem, let them write it off. If the car is in that serious of an accident it's probably new car time anyway.

That's the insurance company's problem, let them write it off. If the car is in that serious of an accident it's probably new car time anyway.
Its still a problem. If it needs to be replaced for whatever reason. Obviously- the OPs own admission is he is low on funds- one of the few reasons to look at this thing to begin with. He is trying to stretch his dollars. If it's totaled he could be in worse shape.

Its still a problem. If it needs to be replaced for whatever reason. Obviously- the OPs own admission is he is low on funds- one of the few reasons to look at this thing to begin with. He is trying to stretch his dollars. If it's totaled he could be in worse shape.
When it comes to funds, not sure how you filled in all the blanks from A-Z. I'm looking at the car because I like it and it fits my budget. Going beyond my budget means taking out a loan / debt on a depreciating asset, which I'd rather not do.

If insurance on it is fair (which is a requirement for whatever I purchase), I'll let the insurance company sort the lack of parts out if/when the time comes for repairs.

From the research I've done, this definitely looks likes stretching dollars-- get a nicer car than you otherwise would if you bought, say, any popular crossover. I like the sport-wagon models but don't really care for the looks of the others in the segment in that price range. But I'll probably check them out if I can find any locally.

I hear the Jaguar xf? Sportbrake is awesome. Rock bottom resale prices However It might be in the same boat.

Lots of replies on here, and some are relevant.

I bought one in fall of 2019, model year was 2018, and it had ~12k miles on it. I just traded it in with ~44K miles on a Kia EV6 GT Friday...so good bye friend ;-)

High Points:
German car with German car ride quality, and decent handling for what it was.
LOTS of compliments, so many people would stop me and ask what it was, and where I got it.
Sharp looking car overall...much better from the front, but the back wasn't too bad
Good highway gas mileage. I could pull mid 30's at +5mph over speedlimit most of the time
Not effected by side winds - extremely stable
AWD system was AMAZING! I have had BMW's with X-drive, Subarus, Silverados with selectable AWD...seriously one of the most seamless
Very intuitive infotainment, fast, and good stereo (sounded better than my new Kia that is supposed to have premium stereo)
I did like the comfort of the interiorwell done IMHO
Good steering wheel and steering wheel controls
Very quiet ride - has active noise cancelling

Mods:
I added rear air springs - stock rear springs are WAY too soft
tuner - added good power, and better shift points (this is a MUST IMHO)
3D floor mats
rear bumper guard
aftermarket wheels (I still have these if you want to buy a set)
I purchased coil overs, but never installed them...the suspension stock was decent, but soft for my tastes. (I still have this in a box as well).

Low Points:
Transmission is stout, and reliable, but shifts soft and slow
Feels like even after being tuned there is reduced power in 1&2nd gear
gas mileage is poor in the city - this is probably because I drive a bit more aggressively
My wife, my son, and most everybody I know said it was a "grandpa car"
Some Parts are hard to find - takes weeks or months from Europe
Lots of parts are easy to find - shares GM powertrain
doors feel cheap when you shut them - obviously trying to save weight, but just felt cheap

Overall I would say it is one of the top 5 cars I have ever owned. If I had planned to hold on to it, I think I would have installed the coilovers and also done something more with the transmission tune. As it is, someone will get a TourX with aftermarket blow off valve, and a decent tune worth 350 hp - so grandpa might find a sleeper ;-)

I'm happy to answer any additional questions.

Only two places I know to look out for...both failures on my car.

The computer that controls the radio, and cruise control went out - was replaced for free under warranty.
If you get the Pann-O sun roof, the fabric cover is known to go bad (retraction mechanism) - mine was replaced twice under warranty (parts took forever)

Point of frustration I forgot as well...
The adaptive cruise works AMAZING, and I love it. Sour point is if it is raining, or lightly snowing, it will disable. You can't use it in a "normal" cruise mode, so if it decides the conditions are not met, it won't work. It was rare, and most of the time, if weather was bad I would not use it, but sometimes I feel safe using cruise, but it won't enable.

@DriveHard , is anyone doing a mild lift for these for softroading? Like a full size Outback? Seems like a good vehicle to get the dogs and bikes to trailheads with a bit more clearance.

I have heard of one or two doing it, but I would NOT suggest it.

It is well made and stout, but the unibody is not made to do any articulation. It was made as a road car in Europe, and actually raised for marketing in the US, with the added stupid plastic cladding. If anything, it needs to be 1" lower...I don't believe the suspension would support raising it.

Ground clearance isn't terrible as it sits in the US version, but I would never take it down a road more than a muddy farm road.

@DriveHard , is anyone doing a mild lift for these for softroading? Like a full size Outback? Seems like a good vehicle to get the dogs and bikes to trailheads with a bit more clearance.
I'm pretty sure the Outback has at least as much interior passenger room and a bit more cargo space. In the same price range I think you'd be looking at models before the 2.4t though, and the older 3.6 probably isn't quite as quick as the TourX. I find our 2.5 fine really, but I don't do "tight" passes ever, not worth it IMO. 2018 and up Outbacks are bit more quiet and refined inside if you are looking.

Lots of replies on here, and some are relevant.

I bought one in fall of 2019, model year was 2018, and it had ~12k miles on it. I just traded it in with ~44K miles on a Kia EV6 GT Friday...so good bye friend ;-)

High Points:
German car with German car ride quality, and decent handling for what it was.
LOTS of compliments, so many people would stop me and ask what it was, and where I got it.
Sharp looking car overall...much better from the front, but the back wasn't too bad
Good highway gas mileage. I could pull mid 30's at +5mph over speedlimit most of the time
Not effected by side winds - extremely stable
AWD system was AMAZING! I have had BMW's with X-drive, Subarus, Silverados with selectable AWD...seriously one of the most seamless
Very intuitive infotainment, fast, and good stereo (sounded better than my new Kia that is supposed to have premium stereo)
I did like the comfort of the interiorwell done IMHO
Good steering wheel and steering wheel controls
Very quiet ride - has active noise cancelling

Mods:
I added rear air springs - stock rear springs are WAY too soft
tuner - added good power, and better shift points (this is a MUST IMHO)
3D floor mats
rear bumper guard
aftermarket wheels (I still have these if you want to buy a set)
I purchased coil overs, but never installed them...the suspension stock was decent, but soft for my tastes. (I still have this in a box as well).

Low Points:
Transmission is stout, and reliable, but shifts soft and slow
Feels like even after being tuned there is reduced power in 1&2nd gear
gas mileage is poor in the city - this is probably because I drive a bit more aggressively
My wife, my son, and most everybody I know said it was a "grandpa car"
Some Parts are hard to find - takes weeks or months from Europe
Lots of parts are easy to find - shares GM powertrain
doors feel cheap when you shut them - obviously trying to save weight, but just felt cheap

Overall I would say it is one of the top 5 cars I have ever owned. If I had planned to hold on to it, I think I would have installed the coilovers and also done something more with the transmission tune. As it is, someone will get a TourX with aftermarket blow off valve, and a decent tune worth 350 hp - so grandpa might find a sleeper ;-)

I'm happy to answer any additional questions.
Thanks for you comments. The one point you made about parts is what I have been saying all along. The OP can go down the path if he wants- doesn't seem worthwhile - IMHO.

Thanks for you comments. The one point you made about parts is what I have been saying all along. The OP can go down the path if he wants- doesn't seem worthwhile - IMHO.

The quality of the ride, and handling capability more than made up for waiting for odd parts. It was a great car, and most parts that keep the car going (powertrain) are easy to find. The only parts that are hard to find are the body/trim stuff that is specific to this model.
Changing the oil, air filter, most powertrain parts, etc. can be found around the corner at your local "insert discount parts dealer here".

So...yes, you will wait for an odd interior trim part, but it is more than worth it to drive something unique with the capabilities and driving quality this car has. So, overall I would disagree with your statement.

mine was replaced twice under warranty (parts took forever)
This would be my concern. Parts coming from Europe. The supply chain is messed up enough from the past few years, what's it going to be like trying to get parts now for a discontinued car?

If it's going to be your only car you might re-think buying it.
If you have another car, then maybe you can wait for parts.

I have been very happy with mine. It's more or less a Malibu underneath, so parts are not that difficult. Body panels aren't as bad as people like to say either. Pretty much every panel is the same as the Opel variant, so it's more or less possibly waiting a bit.

My only real issues have been suspension noises and a small water leak. These cars are also super sensitive to tire roadforce and vibrations.

I had a 2021 Vauxhall Insignia that the Tour X is based on. I had to get rid of it after 12 months and 17,500miles because it literally felt like it was falling apart around me. Got totally fed up with having to take it to the dealer to be repaired.

That said, it was a nice drive and comfortable. Just unreliable. Put me off anything GM for life.
20211216_150930.jpg

This would be my concern. Parts coming from Europe. The supply chain is messed up enough from the past few years, what's it going to be like trying to get parts now for a discontinued car?

If it's going to be your only car you might re-think buying it.
If you have another car, then maybe you can wait for parts.

It was the sun shade - the car was still 100% functional, and I drove it every day. The powertrain parts are generally available.

Back