2018 Buick Regal TourX as used vehicle -- opinions / experiences?

After waffling over retiring my '96 Maxima from commuter duty the last few years, I've finally decided to enter the used car market in the next couple months and a '18 Regal TourX is on the short list. The '18 around ~60K+ miles checks the affordability box, anything newer might be out of reach for what I have to spend, considering I want a high trim / loaded model of whatever I get.

Any major problems with these I should be aware of? They seem relatively inexpensive for what you get. I understand they're German made, Aisin transmission, usual turbo GM corporate/Ecotec 2.0L engine. Reviews tend to be positive except those complaining it's more like a car than an SUV-- which is exactly why I'm looking at it.

I'm not particularly attached to a wagon and have no problems with a sedan for this application (primarily commuting), but I do see the utility of a wagon and don't like driving what everybody else drives (Impala, Malibu, Charger, the usual fare in the sedan class). Any other options that are reasonably sporty/fast fitting the affordability criteria (< $25K @ < 80K miles or so) I'd love to hear about.

The TourX is awesome! I wish we had more wagons here :D

Another good choice is the Ford C-Max. It also has lots of space and isn't what everybody else drives. Available as either a plugin or non-plugin hybrid (the plugin is called "Energi"), it's basically a taller Focus. However, the optional sunroof is a fixed glass and doesn't open.

We have the 2.0 ltg in the Malibu. Closing in on 95,000 miles it has been a good drive train
Is it pretty quick? I'm old enough that stoplight drag races are probably a thing of the past, but I still like to have fun. Most importantly, I drive two lane rural roads a lot, where passing maneuvers require some get up and go at highway speeds.

Is it pretty quick? I'm old enough that stoplight drag races are probably a thing of the past, but I still like to have fun. Most importantly, I drive two lane rural roads a lot, where passing maneuvers require some get up and go at highway speeds.
I mean define quick. Is it good for what it is? Yes. They run mid 14s (pretty much the same for the TourX). I have seen, documented, anywhere from 14.30s to 14.70s. It is going to be nimbler than anything you currently own. I have driven a TourX a few times and except for the AWD is does not feel much different than my Malibu. I don't really feel much difference between the 6 speed in the Malibu and the 8 speed in the TourX. They pull similar skid pad and braking numbers. The nice thing about the Buick is all the space inside. The TourX got much better reviews than my Malibu even though in testing it out handled and out stopped the Fusion, Altima, Optima and Camry. Most of the complaints were due to interior room. Not an issue with the TourX.

Last edited:
I had a 2.0T Malibu Premier as a rental about 2 years ago, surprisingly nice car with a great powertrain that I would consider quick. Can you challenge Hellcats to a street race with it? No. But you have as much acceleration as you'd ever need for everyday driving. You have more than enough power to merge onto a busy freeway, pass an idiot, climb a mountain pass or just have fun with.

I LOVE the TourX! Great looking car in white with the black trim and all wheel drive. The first time I saw one I thought well, Volvo finally got the look right! I was amazed that it was a Buick. I even considered adopting a couple of kids so I would have an excuse to justify buying one! But seriously, Just like GM to get a car just right then discontinue it! The Buick GN comes to mind.

The TourX is awesome! I wish we had more wagons here :D

Another good choice is the Ford C-Max. It also has lots of space and isn't what everybody else drives. Available as either a plugin or non-plugin hybrid (the plugin is called "Energi"), it's basically a taller Focus. However, the optional sunroof is a fixed glass and doesn't open.
The C-max 12 volt battery is a pain to get out it's wedged in the back hatch area. Otherwise yes its a nice vehicle. Never have heard of owners not liking them.

According to a number of estimates fewer than 5,000 were either made or sold in the USA, but rare enough to make replacement parts very expensive down the road.

I have a test drive scheduled at a local dealer that wants an obscene price for a 2018 base model of the TourX. I just want to get in the seat of one, have zero intention of buying from them. Due to its uniqueness, I'll probably have to travel a fair distance to find a loaded "Essence" model that happens to have the right mileage vs price.

But the couple hours I waste with the local salesman will tell me whether this car is worth pursuing...

I'm not looking for a sports car. Just something unique with practicality that I can have fun with from time to time. My old Maxima I consider adequate power for commuting duty, I suspect the Tour-X will definitely check that box.

Is the tour-X on a different / unique chassis or such that regular GM corporate parts don't cross over? That's definitely a wildcard.

As cool as I always thought these particular cars were, @CKN is right. They are rare coupled with today's supply chain issues could be a major issue with them.

I have a test drive scheduled at a local dealer that wants an obscene price for a 2018 base model of the TourX. I just want to get in the seat of one, have zero intention of buying from them. Due to its uniqueness, I'll probably have to travel a fair distance to find a loaded "Essence" model that happens to have the right mileage vs price.
Is the tour-X on a different / unique chassis or such that regular GM corporate parts don't cross over? That's definitely a wildcard.
deadbeat GM abandons their 90 year old kid

9557ECEB-98B7-4674-8EE3-B5D3767A17B6.jpeg

Its a discontinued dinosaur which will have very limited ( replacement ) body parts in the future. Do you feel lucky ?
It's not whether I'm lucky, it's whether my insurance company is unlucky someday. Body parts I couldn't care less about and I'll get a quote on auto insurance before I buy. My main concerns are mechanical / electrical systems, drivetrain and such, and GM wouldn't possibly make those unique on a low volume model. Rockauto lists the usual replacement parts I would expect to see for a newer and even older vehicle, at a reasonable price; even though some are genuine GM products they are priced fairly.

The same was said about my '07 Pacifica and at 175K, it's one of the most reliable and easy to repair vehicles I've ever owned. I can still get parts for it-- despite it being a weird Mercedes (rear suspension namely) / Chrysler concoction, and having a whole SLEW of unique parts that were not shared with other models, like the instrument cluster w/ projector NAV system, door controls, HID headlamp assembly, you name it. It's been an absolute treat to own. I'm not scared of unique models, especially ones that come from GM who is probably the world leader in parts sharing across models.

Last edited:

But the couple hours I waste with the local salesman will tell me whether this car is worth pursuing...

I'm not looking for a sports car. Just something unique with practicality that I can have fun with from time to time. My old Maxima I consider adequate power for commuting duty, I suspect the Tour-X will definitely check that box.

Yes. It is based on a model made in Europe. It is really an albatross. Really! It only had a two year model run here.

Last edited:
Back