2018 Audi Q7

“My point is, the hypocrisy is one of the biggest detractors of new members. It makes new members question the legitimacy of respected members on here as well as the entire site, which I hold in regard as one of the best sites for info like this.”

Are you running a polling organization? Are you chatting with new members who left because respected members are hypocrites?

You may be the top tech and tribologist in the country.

So far you havn‘t shown it.
There we go. Getting personal, no need for that. What I've shown is a willingness to learn, take criticism, admit when I was wrong. Am I running a polling organization??? Not at all, don't know what made you say that.
Am I a top tribologist??? Lol, heck no.

Have I chatted with members that left due to hypocrisy??? Yes, and often referred them back and gave then a list of people they should listen to as I've been browsing for the past 10 or so years.

I don't know why you would make those comments. Totally confused.

Thank you for the conversation fellas. Thank you for being cordial.

If you guys would like to discuss the subjects in this thread further, let's take it to pm, I'd l9ve to learn more.

Don't want to offend respected members or donors by asking questions or pointing out the obvious. It seems their reach is quite long as to stays on this site or who goes. Quite a bit further than facts.

Thank you.

Dr. Rudnick's modifications aren't going to make it perform worse.
Is that a same guy who co-authored book called Synthetic lubricants and high performance functional fluids? I read somewhere that 3rd edition of this book is at works. BTW, very good book. He also worked at Infineum for some time I believe or was he only a consultant?

Is that a same guy who co-authored book called Synthetic lubricants and high performance functional fluids? I read somewhere that 3rd edition of this book is at works. BTW, very good book. He also worked at Infineum for some time I believe or was he only a consultant?
Yeah, I have a whole thread on him:

And yes, he worked at XOM/Infineum back in the Tri-syn days.

The book you referenced:

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 10.24.35 PM.jpg

As @MolaKule stated:
MolaKule said:
I would say Les is the "Godfather" of lubricant knowledge and formulating as evidenced by his many papers and the editing of so many textbooks on oils and lubrication.:cool:

Yes sir, absolutely. Hence why I didn't mention any company. Just a blanket statement. Tbh, I was going to put in my comments (not x company) , but didn't want to ommit anyone else, didn't want to fanboy it up.

You have to admit to one company being transparent with their stocks, additives, etc, and having an almost open door policy with members and this site gives them that trust you alluded to in your post. Trust that goes beyond approvals, if we dare. It's brilliant for marketing, it builds trust, makes a heck of a product, and it's 'MURICAN makes it great.

Other companies do not, that does not mean their product isn't sufficient enough, hence approvals. While approvals can be met by 2 products, one can meet it, the other can also meet it but be a better oil.
If I know this, I am sure you do as well. Now, don't take the last comment out of context as I would not wish to pit my oil knowledge against yours, it would not be a fair fight for me.

Approvals are needed, they set a standard. But if you are going t9 recommend anything but, you need to back it up with facts pointing that user to concrete information about anything you are recommending. Saying just use "search" is n9t an option in this day as f9rmulations change, especially in this market. Anything less makes people look like hypocrites causing members, especially new ones to l9se credibility, as well as this site.

As I said, either preach a standard, if y9u do then turn around and deviate from that standard, better have a great reas9n not to. You did, hats off and thank you for the conversation/education.
OK, thank you for clearing that up. And you are quite welcome.

OP, let us know what happened to oil consumption.
Thanks Edy. Still working on it. Hoping to get it into an Audi shop to run a compression test, look at PCV valve etc.

I'm thinking the first step I would take would be to replace oil separator and possibly thermostat. Have run the car for about 125 miles since topping off and it is down almost a one quarter quart on the digital dipstick.

@johndw28

At that rate, do you see smoke out the tailpipe?? That's a considerable amount of oil to be burning.

I know it's hard to see under it with all the underbody cladding, but are you absolutely sure you're not leaking any oil??

Even though I've fixed the oil drinking issue on numerous 3.0t engines by changing the aos, I really would hate to be wrong and the fix not work for you and cause more expensive damage like bad cats.

Did you talk to the dealer and check your local buying laws??? Depending on your location and price you paid, the dealer might be obligated to fix it or take it back.

Bright light at the end of this, when it's fixed, that car will be amazing to drive.

@johndw28

At that rate, do you see smoke out the tailpipe?? That's a considerable amount of oil to be burning.

I know it's hard to see under it with all the underbody cladding, but are you absolutely sure you're not leaking any oil??

Even though I've fixed the oil drinking issue on numerous 3.0t engines by changing the aos, I really would hate to be wrong and the fix not work for you and cause more expensive damage like bad cats.

Did you talk to the dealer and check your local buying laws??? Depending on your location and price you paid, the dealer might be obligated to fix it or take it back.

Bright light at the end of this, when it's fixed, that car will be amazing to drive.
Thanks Vermess. The tail pipe seems to be extremely clean. I am really a rookie with all this and trying to get up to speed. But I don't seem to see any white or blue smoke.

I'm waiting on a UV flashlight as someone said the Liqui Moly has dye in it. I know it's best for an experienced mechanic to look at it but before they take another look would I possibly see much popping the hood and shining UV light in there?

Thanks Vermess. The tail pipe seems to be extremely clean. I am really a rookie with all this and trying to get up to speed. But I don't seem to see any white or blue smoke.

I'm waiting on a UV flashlight as someone said the Liqui Moly has dye in it. I know it's best for an experienced mechanic to look at it but before they take another look would I possibly see much popping the hood and shining UV light in there?
The 5-40 new generation has the dye that you can see. It pours out green.

And yes, you will be able to see the dye.

As I said. Check local laws before paying anymore money to anyone. Dealer might be obligated to fix it.

The 5-40 new generation has the dye that you can see. It pours out green.

And yes, you will be able to see the dye.

As I said. Check local laws before paying anymore money to anyone. Dealer might be obligated to fix it.
Thanks. I'm looking into that now.

ABAC3F0C-7580-4F07-967E-216A4D0B82C4.jpeg

Would this be considered normal or something more meaningful? Thanks in advance

@johndw28
Idle car for 5-10 minutes. Let someone press gas pedal and see whether you have any whitish smoke. Those would be valve stems.
At 1/4 at 125 miles that is huge amount of oil. I am leaning toward some leak or valve stems or piston rings.
I would contact seller tomorrow and inform them. Also, send them an email with description so you have record that you informed them about problem.
If you have leak of that magnitude, it has to show at floor somewhere.

@johndw28
Idle car for 5-10 minutes. Let someone press gas pedal and see whether you have any whitish smoke. Those would be valve stems.
At 1/4 at 125 miles that is huge amount of oil. I am leaning toward some leak or valve stems or piston rings.
I would contact seller tomorrow and inform them. Also, send them an email with description so you have record that you informed them about problem.
If you have leak of that magnitude, it has to show at floor somewhere.
Valve stems or piston rings at 76k on a 3.0t??? Never seen it before .

76k is prime mileage for a aos to fail.

I still say the op contacts the dealer. That aos replace is such a easy job, they might do it themselves even if not required to keep a customer happy.

@johndw28

Simple thing. Take a picture of your coolant tank and post it. Aos can fail in multiple ways. I'd like to see the color of it. It might be getting into your cooling system.

Valve stems or piston rings at 76k on a 3.0t??? Never seen it before .

76k is prime mileage for a aos to fail.

I still say the op contacts the dealer. That aos replace is such a easy job, they might do it themselves even if not required to keep a customer happy.
Anything can happen to any engine.

Back