2018 Audi Q7

Just bought a 2018 Audi Q7 2 weeks ago with 76000 miles. Quite frankly I'm very suspicious of European cars buy my wife insisted on this vehicle. When I got it home I noticed it was about a halfquart low on the digital disptick. My friend suggested I buy an Audi oil change kit on FCP Euro and changed the filters out and had a reputable mechanic replace the oil with Liquy Moly. I did this immediately before leaving for a 400 mile trip. By the time I had returned(800 miles I had burned a quart of oil). My top off oil light went on as soon as I returned home. Foolishly, I did not have a quart of oil on me as I surely thought I would be OK to go 800 miles after doing an oil and filter change(lesson learned).

I'm trying to get up to speed from reading and am scared to death that my engine may have serious problems in future. I have been watching oil like a hawk and am guessing out of a multitude of potential causes of high oil consumption the most likely are a faulty PCV, bad valve seals, or piston rings.

Am I correct that a faulty PCV would probably be a "best case scenario" as far as possibly improving the oil consumption issue and that faulty piston rings would be a worst case scenario and much more indicative that I'm closer to engine failure?

Thanks so much for anyone with insight.

Worst case the rings are worn. Even then keeping the oil topped off would keep it from “failing”. Hopefully it’s just the PCV.

Was the oil at full capacity when it was changed? How much did you top it off to bring it to full capacity?

I would drive this car a little more before getting concerned. Do oil changes religiously at 5k miles, not the 10k that Audi recommends and the car will serve you a very long time.

It probably needs the oil separator removed, which would require removing the supercharger. But some oil consumption is normal.

First replace the dipstick plug with a real dipstick and tube, some of the electronic ones are not that reliable, then change the PCV.

Edit: Added link
Absolutely, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, do this what Trav said!
Do not panic. We, who own European vehicles, therefore know what is good, will help you :)

Also, every Wal Mart carries European oils. Liquid Moly is average at best, but there is a lot of marketing behind. You need VW502.00 approval or VW504.00/507.00.
Wal Mart has abundance of VW502.00 oils. If in need on trip, just snatch something from Wal Mart that has VW502.00 and/or MB229.5 and/or BMW LL01. Or BMW LL04 and MB229.51.
Your local Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts carry Mobil1 ESP 0W30 and ESP 5W30 for $37 for 5qt. They are VW504.00/507.00 and much better than Liqui Moly.

Change the oil separator, while you're there, change the thermostat.

Every 3.0t that I had come in with oil consumption, it was solve by changing the oil separator.

These are very tough engines.

Also, put a piece of blue tape AROUND a few places on the intake tube. I seen intake tube getting sucked closed causing high vacuum.

Did you check for oil leaks??? Make sure your mechanic changed the gasket on the plastic filter housing.

Liquid Moly Nex Gen 5-40 has a dye in it. Use that to look for leaks via uv light.

Was the oil at full capacity when it was changed? How much did you top it off to bring it to full capacity?

I would drive this car a little more before getting concerned. Do oil changes religiously at 5k miles, not the 10k that Audi recommends and the car will serve you a very long time.
When my mechanic did the change he said there was around 6 quarts in the pan so it would have been down about a quart. After my mechanic changed the oil I drove about 800 highway miles and had to top it off with a quart to get the digital dispstick full.

Back