2018 ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
**Pictures are sideways, I know, I apologize...also know this, I'm lazy**

Picked this up the other night. Fantastic car.

2018 ATS 2.0L Turbo AWD, Phantom Grey
272HP
295ft/lb

Came with remote start, sunfroof, wheels locks, rubber floor mats and heated seats as factory installed options.

First impressions:

Powertrain:

Transmission: It's fussy (GM 8L45). It does NOT like to be driven before it is warmed up, the first shift when cold is flinchingly abrupt. I'm hoping that this will improve as the transmission learns, the car only had 8 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. However, once warmed up, it shifts very quick and smooth, can hardly feel it. I have to watch the tach if I want to know when it's shifting sometimes. It just doesn't have finesse you'd expect from this level of car, the transmission in the Sonata was more refined.

Engine (GM LTG, http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/docs/GMQD16CL460_LTG_Product PDF.pdf): While I haven't yet been able to really DRIVE the car (1,500 mile break-in), from the couple times I've lightly gotten on it, this thing will move and the low-end torque is delicious. Once broken in, I am really going to enjoy this motor. 93 octane is highly recommended but can run on as low as 87, but with reduced mpg and performance. I'll always run at least 91. This is my first turbo car and I'm looking forward to seeing the performance they give.

Auto Stop-Start: What a dreadful technology to put on such a good motor. I disable it every time I start the car and am irritated I cannot turn it off permanently.

Suspension:

Steering: So much better than the 2017 Sonata I traded in. Tracks dead on-center. I've actually been able to understand what "feedback" is in relation to steering. I am sad about the steering wheel, I hate 3-spoke steering wheels. Going to be an adjustment.

Ride: Ride is kind of rough, but I knew this and accepted it in return for the Alpha platform.

Handling: Crisp, sharp turns, you can really drive a corner in this thing. Light, nimble, responsive, athletic. Everything I wanted. Fully understand why this Alpha platform found it's way into the Camaro. It's very good.

Brakes: 4-piston Brembo in the front, 2-piston Brembo (I think) in the rear. Stops on a dime.

Cabin:

Interior: Overall, I am in love with the interior. Very nicely done. I am not thrilled with the CUE system, but apparently, for the 2018 model it got a much needed upgrade, so I'd hate to know what it was like before.

Noise: By FAR the quietest car I've ever owned and I've really enjoyed that. I felt the Sonata was overly loud.

Seats: Recaro seats, some of the best seats I've ever sat in. I am, however, having a hard time finding my comfy spot. This car is a tad small for a 6ft tall person.

Now, can the break-in be done already! I want to drive this thing!

Last edited:
Awesome! My (realistic) dream project is to LS swap an ATS. Make what the ATS-V SHOULD have been!

Nice car! It's also nice you noted it's quiet. It makes road trips much more enjoyable. And I imagine the AC works really good, too.

Originally Posted By: E365
My dream project is to LS swap an ATS. Make what the ATS-V SHOULD have been!

Not sure I agree, the little turbo engines have a very nice feel, all their own. And It's prob quite a bit lighter, which would lead to a better driving feel.

Last edited:
I rented a Cruz with stop start. I found it to be much smoother if I let off the brake and let it start just before it was time to accelerate. Much smoother than just hitting the gas.

Congrats! Is there an MT version of this car? That would have been my choice - I assume you test drove one to know about the fussiness of the trans?

Having driven a number of start stop capable vehicles in Europe, I don't get the issues with it.

Tell me more about the tranny. Don't understand how being barely able to detect shifts is lacking finesse.

Caddy infotainment gets a lot of demerits in the reviews I've read. How do you like it?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Tell me more about the tranny. Don't understand how being barely able to detect shifts is lacking finesse.

Caddy infotainment gets a lot of demerits in the reviews I've read. How do you like it?

Smoothness is only one part of finesse, also being in tune with what you want and being able to react promptly to demands are equally important.

Outstanding car. We rented one while our car was in the body shop. It was a V6 6 speed auto with 36 miles on it.

I remember it very fondly. I found it a bit small but it was unquestionably the most dynamically rewarding smaller car I have ever driven. Outstanding brakes, sharp turn in, great acceleration, even got 25 mpg with the hot sixer. So smooth, too.

A CTS is probably better for me, but it would give up some of that ridiculous sharpness and agility that the ATS has!

Even though the car "has to learn" you'd think they could deliver it somehow "programmed".
Put another way: Why can't a transmission be smooth and learn your way of driving and adjust to it smoothly?

Are the engines in these Saab inspired?

Best of luck with it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Very nice--congratulations on the new car. Obligatory question--which oil and filter?

I get free dealer maintenance for 36,000 miles so it'll more than likely be whatever they put in. Since I've leased it and don't really intend on purchasing it at the end of the lease, I'm not going to be as picky as I normally am. I'm assuming the Cadillac dealer will use a full synthetic, but who knows. Ugh....now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I can do this. I have never, not once, had anyone else change my oil. If I were to do it myself, it'll be regular old Mobil 1 5w30 (0w30 in winter months) and a Fram Ultra filter.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Congrats! Is there an MT version of this car? That would have been my choice - I assume you test drove one to know about the fussiness of the trans?

Having driven a number of start stop capable vehicles in Europe, I don't get the issues with it.

I do believe there is an M/T version of this car. I don't know how to drive stick, and have never really seen the need to learn. I'm lazy, I just want to push a pedal.

My issue with start/stop is the number of times it does it in asinine situations vs. when it actually should. If I pull up to a stop light behind someone, stop, the engine shuts off, I go to pull up to the sign and it starts again, I stop again at the sign, it shuts off, 2 secs later it starts again when I go. That to me, is just utterly pointless. It really annoys me. And I don't care what they say, that cannot be good on an engine.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

When actually driving the transmission isn't bad, but around town and from cold starts it is quite finicky. It doesn't inspire confidence. I'm always just a little worried whether it's gonna shift correctly or not. But I will say, it has gotten better the more I have driven it so I'm hoping those improvements continue. It's hard to explain, it's just apparent that GM didn't take as much time with this transmission as they should have.

I am still learning the infotainment but so far I am pretty happy with it. Do I think Hyundai has a better setup, certainly. Do I think that Cadillac could make it excellent with a little more work and a few more rounds of massaging, for sure. But overall, it's a decent, solid setup.

That being said, the rear view camera on this car is a JOKE. Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves for using such an inferior camera on $40,000+ car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back