Cadillac ATS -- reliability? problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, folk,

Haven't posted in a while; the '11 Buick Regal CXL has been an excellent car all around since I purchased it in early 2014. however, a dealer about 50 miles from me has a 2015 Cadillac ATS, dark blue over cream (which is impossible to find at dealers in Da Swamp *), only 27K miles, still about 10 months of warranty remaining. It has the turbo 4, 272 hp. I've searched here and found the post with the 2018 ATS lease. I wonder if the '15 ATS would have that same start-stop, since I don't see it on the list of features on the dealer's website.

Anyway: If I'm coming from the Regal and would like some more power and luxury, would this be a good bet? Any known issues with it, the transmission, electronics (a stereo and A/C control system without buttons??), or the engine?

* Of course dealers stock what sells. What apparently sells here are black interiors, which is insane in a climate that tops 90 F. for a great part of the year. Light-colored interiors exist - but I can only find them 50-500 miles away. . . .

I'm assuming it was my post that you found regarding the 2018 ATS lease.

I've got just over 5,000 miles on it to date. No issues so far. Not that you'd expect there to be with that low mileage.

One thing that I do know that ATS's are known for is the the touch screen cracking from heat (very common, google it).

I don't believe it will have stop/start. I've gotten used to it now but I still find myself turning it off a lot. In general, I really like the car. That little 4 banger just pulls and pulls when the pedal is pushed. I've enjoyed myself in this car, it's a fun one to drive.

Now, having to spring for Premium fuel at 3.30-3.50 a gallon....don't enjoy that so much.

Last edited:
I owned a 2011 Regal and a 2013 ATS. ATS will give you more power and luxury, but it is small! My biggest complaint about that car was the size. It did drive great though!

My personal choice would be a V6 LaCrosse or Impala.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I owned a 2011 Regal and a 2013 ATS. ATS will give you more power and luxury, but it is small! My biggest complaint about that car was the size. It did drive great though!

My personal choice would be a V6 LaCrosse or Impala.

Yea, this car is very small and as 6' guy, it borders on too small. I won't be buying/leasing another car this small again. But I'm gonna enjoy it while I have it.
smile.gif

I don't have an ATS, but I can speak to the 2.0 LTG (Turbo). We have a 2015 Malibu with one. We just hit 45,000 miles. I do oil changes. That is it.
Been back to dealer once for a bad tank of gas (it was mostly water). I think that was at 9,000ish miles but it has been awhile now.

45,000 miles is still low but it is has been flawless. In the Malibu it is 259 HP, but it moves it along pretty respectably.

Isn't the ATS about the same size as the Regal? About the same wheelbase, I mean? I have not found it small, and I'm now used to its firmer ride over the lousy streets here. Is the ATS firmer than that?

I'd go with a '15 or '16 Regal, but again, it's hard to find one with a light-colored interior.

OP, have you actually sat in an ATS? It's a nice car, but pretty small inside. Would be OK for me, but not for an average American.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Isn't the ATS about the same size as the Regal? About the same wheelbase, I mean? I have not found it small, and I'm now used to its firmer ride over the lousy streets here. Is the ATS firmer than that?

I'd go with a '15 or '16 Regal, but again, it's hard to find one with a light-colored interior.

The ATS is by far the firmest, stiffest car I've ever been in or drove. It's very rigid. It's the Alpha platform I assume that makes it so. Not sure if Regal is on same platform, but I'd bet they are since it'd save development costs and I know GM is trying to reduce platform numbers.

Originally Posted by Throt

The ATS is by far the firmest, stiffest car I've ever been in or drove. It's very rigid. It's the Alpha platform I assume that makes it so. Not sure if Regal is on same platform, but I'd bet they are since it'd save development costs and I know GM is trying to reduce platform numbers.

Living in a city with streets of the finest Third World quality, I don't find super-sporty-stiff to be a positive recommendation. If I still lived in Denver, assuming they still pave their streets so well, then sure.

Living in a city with streets of the finest Third World quality, I don't find super-sporty-stiff to be a positive recommendation. If I still lived in Denver, assuming they still pave their streets so well, then sure.

I know your pain. I used to live in Ohio and they have horrible roads. Florida has much much much better roads.

They come from the factory with run flat tires which degrade ride quality. If those have been replaced with a non-run flat set, the ride is probably more supple.

Last edited:
I was afraid of that about run-flat tires. The listing says "TIRES P225/45R17 ALL-SEASON RUN-FLAT (STD)." No spare, either, and apparently the trunk is too small for one. That worries me. I love the way the new Cadillacs look, but the gadgetry (expensive to fix, I'm sure) and other features are kind of worrisome.

Do not patronize third world. Many third world countries have much better streets then many big cities in the U.S.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Do not patronize third world. Many third world countries have much better streets then many big cities in the U.S.

Yeah, but I don't live in any of those places. This joint actually has bumper stickers reading, "Noo Awlins -- Third World and Proud of It."

Isn't the ATS about the same size as the Regal?
According to specs, front legroom is about the same. The ATS has less front shoulder room and hip room, and much less rear legroom, but as long as nobody sits behind you, that may not matter.

ATS passenger volume: 91 cu ft.
Regal passenger volume: 97 cu ft.

ATS also has a much smaller trunk.

Any known issues with it, the transmission, electronics (a stereo and A/C control system without buttons??), or the engine?

Scroll down on the following web page until you see the ATS in 3-year-old car "trouble" list:
https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings/Dependability/2018/Compact-Premium-Car
This for the the specific 2015 used car you speak of. It's far, far better than single-sample, 1-off experiences like you hear on forums like this. Every car line has problems and can have angry people talk about them, every one, including Lexus etc., the top quality ones, can have some problems. The ONLY thing that matters is how often they tend to have problems. .... Its playing the odds with car troubles, and this is the best way to judge the risk levels comparatively.
The ATS is a bit worse on the "Mechanical" category than the best in the class.

All that known and said, the ATS is one of the best handling chassis around in that class, sharing it with the very good Camaro.
I say it's worth a buy.

Hey, folk,

Haven't posted in a while; the '11 Buick Regal CXL has been an excellent car all around since I purchased it in early 2014. however, a dealer about 50 miles from me has a 2015 Cadillac ATS, dark blue over cream (which is impossible to find at dealers in Da Swamp *), only 27K miles, still about 10 months of warranty remaining. It has the turbo 4, 272 hp. I've searched here and found the post with the 2018 ATS lease. I wonder if the '15 ATS would have that same start-stop, since I don't see it on the list of features on the dealer's website.

Anyway: If I'm coming from the Regal and would like some more power and luxury, would this be a good bet? Any known issues with it, the transmission, electronics (a stereo and A/C control system without buttons??), or the engine?

* Of course dealers stock what sells. What apparently sells here are black interiors, which is insane in a climate that tops 90 F. for a great part of the year. Light-colored interiors exist - but I can only find them 50-500 miles away. . . .

Both Regal and ATS are cars where OPEL had a lot of involvement. However, they are different. Regal is not in the same class as engine is transversal while in ATS is longitudinal. I would say ATS is definitely step or two above Regal, although engines are same.

Both Regal and ATS are cars where OPEL had a lot of involvement. However, they are different. Regal is not in the same class as engine is transversal while in ATS is longitudinal. I would say ATS is definitely step or two above Regal, although engines are same.
No, Opel had little to no involvement in the Cadillac ATS. Its on the Alpha chassis, not the old Regal's Epsilon II. You might be confusing it with the Cadillac XTS, the big one on an enlarged Epsilon II (Regal) platform.
The Alpha is shared with a few modifications with the current Camaro.

Look at MA, it doesn't get much more third world than this. Now it seems you cant go in your house without worrying if its going to blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back