2018 Nissan Maxima Platinum Mini-Review

The wife has a 2018 Nissan Maxima in their Platinum trim level as a rental. Here are my thoughts.

Visual/Aesthetics/Interior:
Car has some very sharp body lines. The front end is somewhat busy, but I can get used to it. The rear is very proportional and flows well. Our exact rental is a silver color which looks very nice on this car. The interior is mostly black with the upper portion of the interior and headliner being beige/tan. The black leather seats are very soft and comfortable. This exact model has heated/cooled seats which seem to work very well. The fake wood dash trim is nice (it doesn't usually bother me) and has some sort of physical ridging in its actual design. The rest of the interior feels well built and not-cheap. I can do without the red illumination, however, I am not sure if this is a Nissan thing. Reminds me of 90's to early 2000s Pontiacs.

Driving/Engine:
The car has a very good on-center feel and is quick to rebound to such. I am assuming this vehicle has EPS, and I will say that I don't find it over powered. There is a good amount of feedback in the steering. The steering wheel is also heated (heats well) and is also of some nice quality material (vinyl/leather). Bumps and imperfections in the road are felt mildly and proportionally from what I would expect of a sport-oriented car. Car takes turns well and does not have a lot of body roll.

The engine has plenty of power. I am very impressed with this V6 + CVT combination. Simply put, you gas it, it goes. The CVT does a good job of keeping the engine in it's peak power range to pull the car. The car has a Sport Mode which keeps the Rs up when accelerating. Additionally, the gear selector has a mode for manual shift. I did not find the manual shift mode to accelerate the car any better with a heavy foot than regular Drive.

Electronics/Stereo:
Excellent factory stereo system. Lots of bass. I am no professional car audio guy, but can appreciate good quality sounds. Really loved the CarPlay integration and how the infotainment system worked. Car has a BMW like combination knob to navigate through the infotainment system -- very useful. The backup camera and 360 view cameras are also very helpful. Car has blind-spot notifications also. In the center of the dash, a screen can display just about any notification, gauge or current event you'd like. Very customization and versatile.

In summary, I always hated Nissan and thought they were plain junk. This Maxima has really impressed me to the point of where I would comfortably say that I would lease one if I needed a lease. I don't know if I would trust a CVT for the long haul, but I am super impressed. I really really liked this car. The CVT is so smooth. Nice job Nissan.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Great review.
I haven't looked at those in years.
What is the mpg?
Thanks

Thanks. Actually super good, should've put that in my review. We've been seeing 25-26 MPG with a highway/suburban driving mix. Highway I would easily expect a 32-24 MPG.

Pretty good on fuel. Just read that it is supposed to take Premium... I've been putting 87 in it. Not worried, I'm assuming it'll pull timing if it sees any knock.

I wanted a Maxima, but couldn't fit in one comfortably. There was next to no head room even with seat lowered all the way down. Love the looks of it.

I ended up with a Q50 instead. This will be my forever car, until rust sends it to the junkyard.

Excellent details in your review. I have the 2013, and I am still in love with how it looks, but the current generation Maxima has a far nicer interior. Anyone who has doubts about CVT should drive a Maxima, because IMHO and that of others...they made a nice match with the VQ35DE engine.

I rent the Maxima every chance I get. Love 'em.

They are truly among the most fun new cars. Really responsive and plenty powerful. The CVT pretends to be a conventional automatic, and it's tuning is near perfect. Engine never runs higher than necessary RPM and is never short of torque. A perfect combo.

Agreed. The VQ35DE and CVT combo has a very different feel, sound and driving experience than any 4cyl coupled to a CVT.

Yes, another rental, I expected something newer, 2018 Nissan Maxima with ~33k, I got it for an extra night, leaving early and they don't open until 9am, so I got a chance to get familiar with it, and other than needing an air filter and some Nissan E-PSF, electric power steering fluid.

It should be a blast where the road is smooth, a $10 dollar upgrade from Sedan and with their insurance, I am about $160+ for a day. I must get that power steering fluid yet and that'll give me a chance to take a spin yet today so I can get more familiar with it, lug nuts were tight, not thrilled about low profile tires..., reminds me of a Pontiac Grand Prix from behind the wheel, here it is;
20220610_200535.jpg

20220610_200602.jpg

Attachments

• 20220610_200713.jpg
    20220610_200713.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220610_200851.jpg
    20220610_200851.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 12
I wanted a Maxima, but couldn't fit in one comfortably. There was next to no head room even with seat lowered all the way down. Love the looks of it.

I ended up with a Q50 instead. This will be my forever car, until rust sends it to the junkyard.
Interesting...I haven't sat in an 8th gen but in my 2014 I've got plenty of headroom at 6'3" even with the sunroof. I think the Max is the better looker, and it really is closer to wearing an Infiniti badge than a Nissan badge with the upper trims but 300hp to the front wheels makes for a lot of torque steer compared to the Q. The Q50 in passenger volume is smaller and it's always bothered me how the Max gets ventilated seats but not an option on the Q50...never understood that decision.

Back