2017 Tacoma; 73,000; 2,887mi OCI with TGMO 0w-20 (Extreme use)

immediately following a fresh O&F change; I did this 2,700 mile trip (2,700 mile towing MPG report (Toyota Tacoma)) I would say it was an extreme use event; 90 deg F+ the whole trip; towed a 1,200lb U-haul from Virginia to TX in 5th gear, then high speed, mostly empty trip back. Just for situational awareness; this is a Blackstone report from that oil (73,071 on the truck ('17 Toyota Tacoma; TRD Off-Road (4x4) with 3.5L v6 and 6spd manual trans) / 2,887 on the oil (TGMO 0w-20).

FWIW: I ran Motul Eco-lite 0w-20 for for about the first 50k, then switched to TGMO. I do O&F ~ every 6 months, no more than 9k (Usually closer to 6k). This was the first time I had a Blackstone analysis with the TGMO. On the report the prior 36k analysis was the Motul. The sample to the right dated 3/25/2016 was a virgin sample of the same Motul 0w-20 Eco-light.

What do you all think? Motul is up to almost $20/L now. Think I'll just stick with the TGMO and OEM filters.
B oil report TGMO 0w20 Tacoma 73k after towing.jpg

Last edited:
I'd pick whatever is the least expensive, because there's not enough data to distinguish one from the other. What you can conclude is that they both do well; there's nothing but "normal" wear here.

You can also not worry about the "extreme" use; clearly it made no difference. Go ahead and extnd the OCIs out even if running it hard.

1200 lbs is not really that much and even 100 degrees is not that hot especially if you are keeping air moving thru the engine bay at 40+ mph the entire time. And there are not many huge elevation changes between TX and VA. My opinion, use any decent oil and filter for 5k and don't worry about it.

immediately following a fresh O&F change; I did this 2,700 mile trip (2,700 mile towing MPG report (Toyota Tacoma)) I would say it was an extreme use event; 90 deg F+ the whole trip; towed a 1,200lb U-haul from Virginia to TX in 5th gear, then high speed, mostly empty trip back. Just for situational awareness; this is a Blackstone report from that oil (73,071 on the truck ('17 Toyota Tacoma; TRD Off-Road (4x4) with 3.5L v6 and 6spd manual trans) / 2,887 on the oil (TGMO 0w-20).

FWIW: I ran Motul Eco-lite 0w-20 for for about the first 50k, then switched to TGMO. I do O&F ~ every 6 months, no more than 9k (Usually closer to 6k). This was the first time I had a Blackstone analysis with the TGMO. On the report the prior 36k analysis was the Motul. The sample to the right dated 3/25/2016 was a virgin sample of the same Motul 0w-20 Eco-light.

What do you all think? Motul is up to almost $20/L now. Think I'll just stick with the TGMO and OEM filters.View attachment 64833
I think even had you run that oil out to 10k you'd have had a stellar report.0-20, 5-20, 5-30, 10-30 in that engine, in VA. it's all good.

What do you all think? Motul is up to almost $20/L now. Think I'll just stick with the TGMO and OEM filters.View attachment 64833
That moly is insane.

Easy on oil after 150K?
OCIs have been between 4k & 12k miles, depending on the oil used.

The dipstick has never smelled like fuel. The oil level has been constant. ie no signs of fuel dilution.
75% highway. 25% streets.

No hestitation or rough idle. ie no signs of carbon buildup on the back side of intake valves.

TheSS engines are easy in oil.
10k on any synthetic 0w20,5w20,5w30 or 10w30 is a breeze. since You did a bit of towing I would reduce the OCI a little but not as much As here.

Thanks for the feedback and comments all. Kinda surprised so many and going so long. To answer a few questions and comments:
- Compared to my usual (Post RONA) working from home of maybe 500 miles/ month this was the most I asked of the truck in a long time
- I knew the oil would come out still serviceable, I was just curious what 2,800 miles of hard use would look like (Extreme as measured by most owners manuals)
- Yes Moly content of current TGMO 0w-20 is much higher than the Motul I used in the past.
- Probably do a another change at the 6 month mark, see what that looks like.

Back