2017 Nissan Armada crankshaft problem

2017 Nissan Armada 5.6l V8 with 62k miles.

My wife tried to accelerate on to a busy highway with our small kids in tow. Nearly got rear ended because the car wouldn’t accelerate like it usually does.

Also, it wouldn’t go over 50mph. No CEL. No odd noises. No smoke. Turned it on a few hours later and drove it and it drove like normal.

What gives?

Attachments

• 8954C955-E8D7-4E3A-AEF5-E709A5BC9F63.jpg
    8954C955-E8D7-4E3A-AEF5-E709A5BC9F63.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46
Sounds like the either one of the camshaft position sensors or the CPS is crapping the bed. Leaning more toward camshaft based on the fact it only shows the B bank, unless there are other codes for A?

Sounds like the either one of the camshaft position sensors or the CPS is crapping the bed. Leaning more toward camshaft based on the fact it only shows the B bank, unless there are other codes for A?
So you’ll have to school me a bit on this. I’m not real inside the engine saavy. Is this going to be an expensive fix? Losing trust in this Armada every day….

Attachments

• DC95B0BC-5E46-4E3D-8832-BEDEB0C4E238.jpg
    DC95B0BC-5E46-4E3D-8832-BEDEB0C4E238.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 9
So if it jumped time, does it correct itself? What’s the fix?

I'd be willing to bet that the camshaft reluctor ring moved around. Someone good with a PICOscope would catch that. Most of them are only pressed on.

Intermittent problem could be difficult to diagnose, I'd also look for an electrical problem, but only 1 bank could also suggest chain, chain guide or tensioner, oil flow/passage, vvt solenoid, vvt sprocket.

Wife drove it to work this morning and no issues at all. Thinking the sensor too at this point. Dealer only wanted to see it “if it happened again…”

Pretty difficult to diagnose, no CEL, BUT a good scan tool can read stored data !!, I would replace cam and crank sensor, but as stated Emissions should handle this issue.

You didn't by chance have a p0018 (cam-crank correlation Bank 2 Intake) as well?

Did you check the oil level?
How many miles are on the oil in the sump?

You have timing DTC's for 3 out of the 4 camshafts.......

8eR0U6E.png

DC3x4Yq.png

If the Nissan VK series of V8s is anything like the VQ family of V6s, the oil galleries are sealed off with covers accessible only if the front cover is removed for timing chain/head service. The gaskets on those are known to leak and cause a low oil pressure condition which can result in the VVT system acting up at the least and engine damage at worst case.

Back