2017 Nissan Armada issue

Hello all, need some help figuring out why our 2017 Nissan Armada is so rough when coming to a stop. I’ll try to explain the best I can. We bought this suv last summer as a certified pre owned with 39k miles on it from Nissan dealer. Powerful truck!
Here’s the issue: when decelerating, there is a noticeable jerking motion from about 40mph until stopped. The jerking motion slows as the speed decreases in a very linear fashion. For perspective, my wife and I feel like bobble heads in the suv when coming to a stop! If you have a coffee cup full in your hand, you better be prepared for that coffee to be sloshing around.
This is in stark contrast to the smoothness with which my Tundra comes to a stop. Is it the transmission? Brakes? There’s no decrease in braking power, just the jerking back and forth motion almost as if the brakes are having to overcome or fight with the transmission.
If you knowledgeable folks can help point me in the right direction I’d be grateful!

warped rotors?
Another +1.
Check lug nut torque too. Make sure that they are tight and even to eliminate possibility of rotor hat deformation.

If not mechanically inclined, have a garage tech inspect brakes and pads for glazing, that too can give uneven, wub-wub-wuub-wuuub feeling in body of car and through the brake pedal as you slow down with brakes applied.

There’s something going on with the tires or brakes. Tires out of balance or going bad. Brake rotors warped and/or calipers sticking. Jack it up and give the wheels a spin. Look closely and listen. At 39,000 miles it probably needs brakes. If it’s the rotor, DON’T let some jack-leg turn them. Get a new set.

Tires were replaced at 45k miles (50k now) with Michelin Defenders so the tires are brand new. But I’ll have to look into the warped rotor issue.
The brakes don’t make any noise when applied..would a warped rotor cause noise?

Tires were replaced at 45k miles (50k now) with Michelin Defenders so the tires are brand new. But I’ll have to look into the warped rotor issue.
The brakes don’t make any noise when applied..would a warped rotor cause noise?
There may be a relationship between new tires and problem you have if installer not careful when torquing lug nuts. One issue I had similar to your about 3k after new brakes and rotors was excessive run out with passenger front rotor. Caused a vibration when braking that only became worse. https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/rotor-runout-cause-and-correction/

So, while slowing down, the problem will come and go as you depress and release the brake pedal, respectively?

When you say it jerks back and forth so you mean front to back (stop-go-stop-go) or left to right, like a wobble?

I'd bet on warped rotors. You can absolutely have warped rotors and no unusual noise.

It's possible that maybe a worn suspension component is only showing symptoms when brakes are applied, but especially given the miles, I think it's the rotors.

Since it only happens when brakes are applied, I doubt it's tires or the drivetrain

So, while slowing down, the problem will come and go as you depress and release the brake pedal, respectively?

When you say it jerks back and forth so you mean front to back (stop-go-stop-go) or left to right, like a wobble?
So it’ll coast smoothly all day. But once I step on the brake pedal and slow down below 40mph I can feel the front-back wobble start (no left to right wobble). And the wobble slows as the speed slows.
No brake noise whatsoever. No vibration in steering wheel either...just the wobble that makes the passengers feel like a front-back bobble head when slowing down.

I'd bet on warped rotors. You can absolutely have warped rotors and no unusual noise.

It's possible that maybe a worn suspension component is only showing symptoms when brakes are applied, but especially given the miles, I think it's the rotors.

Since it only happens when brakes are applied, I doubt it's tires or the drivetrain
Good info, thanks. I’ll start with ruling out the rotors and go from there.

Update: front rotors were warped. They resurfaced and now it’s as smooth as new.

Back