2017 Mazda CX-5 - Thoughts on using Mobil 1 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Okay I see what you are getting at. The Mazda oil is excellent btw. It's not as easy to get as say the M1 or any other major brand. For those who change out their FF early like me, this would be the top choice for that refill as you keep the higher level of moly in the engine during break in.
That is exactly how I used it in a Ford hybrid last year. I replaced the factory fill oil at 1,000 miles with the high-moly Mazda 0w20 to allow more gradual break-in.

I admit it's just us persnickety car enthusiasts who care about this. Engines do just fine on whatever cheapest 0w20 you find. I.E, I noticed the cheapest decent 0w20 is a 5-quart jug of MAG1 0w20 on Amazon.com which is good stuff. Similarly, one doesn't have to choose the best Fram Ultra oil filters either, but it is easy, so thats what I put on.

Congrats on the CX-5. About the best small crossover one can get.

M1 AFE 0W-20 is fine. A good 0W-20 that is widely available and often can be had for ~$2.50/qt after rebate!

I tend to think that the Mazda/Moly oil is better (due to its higher viscosity index and the heavy dose of Moly), but the Mazda oil is also quite expensive (usually in the $7.50-8.60/qt range in the U.S.), and not as widely available.

I've used both in my Mazda. If the price was equal between the two, I'd take the Mazda/Moly oil every time. But at 1/3rd the price, M1 AFE is plenty good.

As most have said, any 0w20 will work just fine. Seems like the trend is to keep OCIs at 5,000-7,500 miles.

We typically do 6,000-7,000 mile OCIs on our CX-5 with various 0w20s. Oil consumption is about 8 ounces per OCI, so quite low and normal in my book.

I want to ask the OP if he/she got the CX5 fully loaded? Supposedly it comes with a nice color HUD among other things. Mazda really updated the 17s with lots of nice touches.

I want to ask the OP if he/she got the CX5 fully loaded? Supposedly it comes with a nice color HUD among other things. Mazda really updated the 17s with lots of nice touches.

YES! 2017 Grand Touring with Premium Package....as loaded as it comes....Awesome vehicle....Soul Red Crystal to boot...

Last edited:
Excellent. I'll be in the market for a crossover later this year. The Mazda CX-5 is on the short list.

I honestly can’t recommend it highly enough. Its the BEST vehicle in its class I ever owned. About the only thing I have to complain about is that it doesn’t have CarPlay yet...which is very annoying to me. Hopefully it will within the next year

That has been a issue for some time. I've read about that part for a couple of years now. Anyway I agree, it's the best in class. I had wished they would offer a bit more options on interior color but it is what it is.

I had wished they would offer a bit more options on interior color

I opted for black. As stated I purchased it...and hope to have it a very long time...and I pretty much only wear jeans. That parchment leather is gorgeous but would be dyed blue in no time

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
There really is a big diff between 700 ppm and 60 ppm, trinuclear or not. Trinuclear is effective about twice as effective as the di- moly. The Mazda Genuine Motor Oil's high moly also helps wear during initial cold operation.... well, Mazda-Idemitsu states what they have found:

Fine, but there are other ways to achieve AW and FM that aren't necessarily trumpeted on a bottle label, or even on a VOA. When I buy a fully formulated motor oil, I expect that the oil company's (and the OEM's, and my own) concerns about friction modification and anti-wear (not to mention deposit control) are addressed one way or another, and I'm not concerned with the individual ingredient details.

Nothing beats TGMO 0W-20 SN's 116 ppm trinuclear moly. There is no definite proof that it's trinuclear but I'm pretty sure. Toyota wouldn't have approved it otherwise.

TGMO 0W-20 SN is a great oil overall. Everyone who has used it seems to be happy about it, with good UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
There really is a big diff between 700 ppm and 60 ppm, trinuclear or not. Trinuclear is effective about twice as effective as the di- moly. The Mazda Genuine Motor Oil's high moly also helps wear during initial cold operation.... well, Mazda-Idemitsu states what they have found:

Fine, but there are other ways to achieve AW and FM that aren't necessarily trumpeted on a bottle label, or even on a VOA. When I buy a fully formulated motor oil, I expect that the oil company's (and the OEM's, and my own) concerns about friction modification and anti-wear (not to mention deposit control) are addressed one way or another, and I'm not concerned with the individual ingredient details.

I agree with this. The classic example is Valvoline with no moly or boron yet it produced exemplary analysis reports.

I have nothing against a high moly oil, of course. I like looking at VOAs as much as the next guy, and a high moly oil is as interesting as anything else. But, when you're comparing name brand oils of the same tier and viscosity, it usually is so much hair splitting.

If I were comparing two 0w-20 options, them being M1 AFE and the OEM stuff, assuming both being synthetic (and the OEM 0w-20 not being a blend), and knowing they both meet the vehicle's specification perfectly, there had better not be more than a few pennies a quart separating the two, particularly given the OCIs Mobil will stand behind.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I have nothing against a high moly oil, of course. I like looking at VOAs as much as the next guy, and a high moly oil is as interesting as anything else. But, when you're comparing name brand oils of the same tier and viscosity, it usually is so much hair splitting.

If I were comparing two 0w-20 options, them being M1 AFE and the OEM stuff, assuming both being synthetic (and the OEM 0w-20 not being a blend), and knowing they both meet the vehicle's specification perfectly, there had better not be more than a few pennies a quart separating the two, particularly given the OCIs Mobil will stand behind.

No arguments here. The cost difference between MMO and AFE is enough to make me choose the less expensive one, or for that matter Synpower or Castrol Edge which are my go to brands. I do like the idea of using MMO or TGMO for the interval after dumping the factory fill which I generally do at 1000 miles. The additional moly may be beneficial during break in although that may be disputed as well.

I do like the idea of using MMO or TGMO for the interval after dumping the factory fill which I generally do at 1000 miles.

I don't plan on dumping the FF until the car tells me to. I subscribe to the school of thought that the 1000 mile initial oil change is no longer necessary. Of course I realize there are many opinions on that and I don't intend any disrespect to those that prefer to adhere to that time honored tradition.

I should also mention purely by happenstance I was in Costco today, and Mobil 1 AFE happens to be on sale for $27.69 for a six quart case ($10 instant rebate) off the regular price of $37.69) I picked up three cases. That price is good until 4/30 so I may get a few more.

Last edited:
I certainly can't dispute being cautious during breakin. Some people want to run the FF out, some want to run something special, some want to just do frequent oil changes. But, at least after that period, buy what works without shooting yourself in the foot from a cost perspective. Of course, sometimes the dealer can offer a good price on parts or oil, but that's certainly not something to rely on. For the G37, for instance, dealers up here don't even bother pushing their ester oil, since its price in the States is too high for Canadians, let alone a Canadian price on the stuff.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pvq
I don't plan on dumping the FF until the car tells me to. I subscribe to the school of thought that the 1000 mile initial oil change is no longer necessary. Of course I realize there are many opinions on that and I don't intend any disrespect to those that prefer to adhere to that time honored tradition.

Agreed, and you'll never find a consensus here, even among the most knowledgeable members of the site.

It's a personal choice whether to dump or not. I agree with your statement.

Mazda has made it pretty easy to change the oil on the CX-5. They designed a access panel in the shield that exposes the drain plug and filter both. It's surprising how many manufacturers do not do this, thus the entire shield having to be removed.

IMazda has made it pretty easy to change the oil on the CX-5. They designed a access panel in the shield that exposes the drain plug and filter both. It's surprising how many manufacturers do not do this, thus the entire shield having to be removed.

I think Mazda's engineering is exceptional. I knew about the access panel before purchase. Its details like that that have helped to make me a Mazda fan. I've already ordered and received a Fumoto drain valve that I plan to install on the first change to make subsequent changes even easier. I'm surprised no automaker has yet installed the Fumoto valve as standard equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back