2017 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd expect the trans to skip gears under most conditions, as it's unlikely to need to run through all 10 in sequence. But having more choices of gears could help with the situation of one gear being too tall and another being too low to use on a WOT downshift for passing uphill.

As far as the engine, provided bearings, rods, etc. are sized for the power output, displacement shouldn't really affect longevity. The first gen 3.5 EBs seem to be holding up just fine, so I see no reason to worry about an updated version.

And now with more power in the lighter aluminum body truck, those things are going to be quick when they're empty.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Only bad thing is, the small engines beat themselves (& the whole drivetrain) up with the endless shifting-my Cummins can pull a 7K loaded trailer effortlessly up a moderate hill without even unlocking the converter-the Transit can't get into top gear with the same load AT 65 MPH on flat ground, & is perpetually down shifting to try to keep up.

This isn't really an issue with the boosted small motors. The NA V6s do this as they're a little short on power and need to get the revs up to use the power they do have. The turbo V6 has a pretty flat power curve (and quite a bit of power) and if anything, it's closer in feel to a diesel than the NA V8s are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
*yawn* call me when the transmission goes to 11.

LOL Why stop at a dull number like eleven. Fifteen now we're talking!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
You really think Ford would risk their market share by putting out junk? Puh-lease. The big engine/small engine comparison is akin to the thick oil/thin oil debate that we still argue amongst ourselves. Guess what? The "thinner" oils are still kicking arshe.

Yeah, that Ford diesel really went over well. Alot research in that one. Ford sold more Cummins and Duramaxs and still continues today.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
A 10speed will never "not" be shifting. When will one actually be applying power?

I'm not sure that a 10-speed trans would shift through every single gear on every single take-off

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
*yawn* call me when the transmission goes to 11.

LOL Why stop at a dull number like eleven. Fifteen now we're talking!

You missed my reference.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

How much weight do you tow with the "Monster". I just can't wrap my brain around that a Twin turbo V6 is going to pull 10,000 lb plus without serious wear and tear, where a V8 Hemi will do it forever.

Our TT has a GVWR of 9900 lbs. And it is towed by our 11 F150 with the Max Tow package. It does fine. It's more Diesel like than anything else. Will hit 6th gear on the flats @ 65 and stay there at 1500 RPMs. If it needs more it will drop to 5th and sometimes 4th if needed. I've passed people going up hills with it and while it will run out 2nd to 50 it has plenty of power.

I'd rather have this engine over a V8 that has to spin to make power. It's been designed for the duty and by all accounts (5 years in the F150) it will "do it all day".

The new engine and transmission should be an interesting upgrade. Will make the most capable and fastest 1/2 ton that much better.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Only bad thing is, the small engines beat themselves (& the whole drivetrain) up with the endless shifting-my Cummins can pull a 7K loaded trailer effortlessly up a moderate hill without even unlocking the converter-the Transit can't get into top gear with the same load AT 65 MPH on flat ground, & is perpetually down shifting to try to keep up. I've already had the Transit's rear axle shimmed once for excessive free play-at 23K it's actually getting sloppy again. Weak!

With a torque curve like this:

It's more like your Cummins than your N/A 3.7. Not sure the rear axle sees much of the loads from the shifting as it's rotation would be fairly constant.

Last edited:
Well I've pulled a 10,000 skid loader a couple times and a 8000 lb rated Dual axle Motorcycle trailer with 2 Harley's and gear 4 adults plus a full truck bed quite a few times thru the mountains of West Virginia on vacation and it didn't even slow down on the hills.
Cars were struggling up the grades and I was passing them at 75 mph effortlessly.
That's all I have to compare to. I'd pull that thing against any hemi 1500 without worry.
Are there trucks that pull more? of course, but I doubt any 1/2 ton!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scudpilot

That's all I have to compare to. I'd pull that thing against any hemi 1500 without worry.
Are there trucks that pull more? of course, but I doubt any 1/2 ton!

It's been done and even with the 8 speed the Hemi was last (or tied in last) in towing in all categories...

Source: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01/texas-truck-showdown-2016-acceleration.html

The GM with the 6.0 is tops though.

Last edited:
I would never go with the Dodge 1500 for serious towing. They are way to light underneath. They are El Camino with lift kits. I am sorta stuck with my Dodge 2500 for the Lifetime warranty and I like the Hemi and lower gears in it. Everything I hear people say, if I was in the market. I believe I would want to try the Ford Ecoboost.

I would never go with the Dodge 1500 for serious towing. They are way to light underneath. They are El Camino with lift kits. I am sorta stuck with my Dodge 2500 for the Lifetime warranty and I like the Hemi and lower gears in it. Everything I hear people say, if I was in the market. I believe I would want to try the Ford Ecoboost.

I've never understood by Ram 1500 uses 5 lug wheels? Kind of like my little Subaru.....

Impressive numbers. We really are in the Golden Age of horsepower.

I bet Ford did a lot of research into longevity. Modern turbos with water and oil cooling stay pretty cool, and modern metallurgy helps keep wear down. It's more maintenance than design that will get a modern turbo vehicle to high miles. Keep the oil changed on schedule, keep the cooling system up to snuff to cool the turbos, and the engine should last a good long while.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the service industry has nothing to worry about in the next 20 years when it comes to employment.

Fear not, there's a ton of GM Turbo Hydra Matic DNA in the slushbox. It is likely durable.

I LOVE the power from that lil Egobooster. A friend just got a new Expedition with one in it. It hauls it around effortlessly. Towing and longevity? We'll see won't we?

And just a note to ITguy, you got so excited over the opportunity to say something critical about the RAM you forgot that any gearbox MULTIPLIES torque until it's in 1-1. But then your transmission expertise is noted here...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I've never understood by Ram 1500 uses 5 lug wheels? Kind of like my little Subaru.....

I never understood why Toyota went back to 5 lugs on the Tundra (gen 1 was six). What kind of torque is required on the lugs on these trucks? I'm about ready to get a new breaker bar, it's a workout to hit 150ft-lbs when I do a tire rotation.

Do the EB setups use a vacuum pump, instead of using engine vacuum? Seems to make sense, steady source of vacuum. Happened across it here and didn't know about it.

Ward's has this to say about the dual injectors:

Quote:
...the extra fuel-delivery system also allows engineers to shut down the direct-injection system and its mechanical pump at low speeds and under low loads, reducing friction losses and emissions. Employing both systems at start-up cuts cold-start emissions as well.

And this about the 10 speed:

Quote:
The 10-speed gearbox features three overdrive ratios and one direct-drive ratio to help improve highway fuel efficiency while maintaining towing capability, says Kevin Norris, manager-10-speed transmission. The transmission features an integrated torque-converter/turbine clutch that saves weight and length, along with a built-in electric pump that maintains fluid pressure to minimize delays in transmission response in stop/start driving.

Weird, only one direct drive? You'd think they'd have multiples in order to find the best ratio for any given situation.

Quote:
Ford will package the 10-speed exclusively with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine for the ’17 F-150. Carryover powertrains include the 5.0L V-8, the naturally aspirated 3.5L V-6 and the 2.7L EcoBoost V-6, all paired with 6-speed transmissions.

Last edited:
And finally: I suspect this may raise the ire of some here.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

And finally: I suspect this may raise the ire of some here.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

Weird, I've seen ford techs at press releases say the ecoboost is the one to have for towing. you'd think especially with the new 3.5 at 450 lb/tq. From some towing video reviews i've seen the 5.0 doesn't seem as happy towing. Thats not to say the 5.0 isnt capable, but the 3.5 is just better suited for it with its low RPM torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back