2017 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Utterly unserviceable at 130k. A 10speed will never "not" be shifting. When will one actually be applying power? LOL Lifetime fluid though I'm sure. And a 3.5L in a full sized truck? What a joke. This is just a way to jack up the price on V8 models to $70k. Displacement is king. And I drive a 2.4L. When I need more I get into a vehicle with a 5.7L. Simple math.

And yet my 2011 Ecoboost outperforms V8's easily. And, it returns 20MPG. I also have the same truck with the 5.4L V8. Comparing the two in a race is a joke. The EB truck is far superior in every way except the sound.

As for towing, the EB truck is the truck of choice, by far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And just a note to ITguy, you got so excited over the opportunity to say something critical about the RAM you forgot that any gearbox MULTIPLIES torque until it's in 1-1. But then your transmission expertise is noted here...

I know how a transmission works, thanks.

The 8 speed was supposed to be the end all from the Ram guys. It was supposed to have the RAM demolish the competition. It didn't for towing speed or MPG (Ram was last), or really anything else. The Hemi was last or tied for last in all towing metrics. The little GM 5.3 beat out the much more powerful Hemi....

The GM was the one to beat with it's 6.2 and 8 speed. The Ecoboost was a close 2nd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
And finally: I suspect this may raise the ire of some here.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

Got a link? Curious as the only F150's rated to the maximum tow capacities are the Ecoboost 3.5's. You would think if the V8 were the towing choice they would be the ones rated to the max.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

And just a note to ITguy, you got so excited over the opportunity to say something critical about the RAM you forgot that any gearbox MULTIPLIES torque until it's in 1-1. But then your transmission expertise is noted here...

The 8 speed was supposed to be the end all from the Ram guys. It was supposed to have the RAM demolish the competition. It didn't for towing speed or MPG (Ram was last), or really anything else. The Hemi was last or tied for last in all towing metrics. The little GM 5.3 beat out the much more powerful Hemi....

The GM was the one to beat with it's 6.2 and 8 speed. The Ecoboost was a close 2nd.

Focus on Information Technology ace.

Quote:
F-150 buyers who regularly tow heavy trailers are advised to choose the V-8 engine, says Doug Scott, marketing manager-Ford truck group.

“The 3.5L EcoBoost is best when you have a mix of light use and some towing,” Scott recommends. “We’ll be giving the same advice for the ’17 model.”

Got a link? Curious as the only F150's rated to the maximum tow capacities are the Ecoboost 3.5's. You would think if the V8 were the towing choice they would be the ones rated to the max.

Post above it had it, or here .

I'm pretty sure the V8 suggestion comes down to MPG. Running the EB flat out in boost all the time might actually return worse mpg than the V8 does (due to the EB likely running richer at high power levels). But in mixed use where you're not always standing on the throttle (or applications with a lot of idle time), the smaller motor returns better mpg.

That would be my guess too--not because it is boosted but because they run rich to ward off issues. Extra fuel means more cooling.

Wonder if anyone has detuned one for better mpg while towing. Cut boost a few pounds, then drop fueling (at least until detonation is detected).

Last edited:

Quote:

Most people tow the Horse, toy hauler,boat or travel trailer etc on the week ends . Towing heavy trailors all the time a F250 /350 would be a better option as the drive line is heavier duty. My F250 is so much beefier than my F150. My 2.7 F150 gets the same MPGs at the 4 cyl Auto Toyota truck and way better that the 3.0 4x4 92 Toyota truck that I loved but was rear ended so hard that it was totalled

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Focus on Information Technology ace.

Aww, shucks. Guess the truth hurts.

So, explain to me how a transmission where 6 is direct, 7 and 8 are OD will help while doing 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs? It should never be in those gears on WOT from 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. If it does, that is poor programming.

Post above it had it, or here .

Thanks. The OP had the Ford press release and I didn't see it there.

Quote:
The 10-speed gearbox features three overdrive ratios and one direct-drive ratio to help improve highway fuel efficiency while maintaining towing capability, says Kevin Norris, manager-10-speed transmission. The transmission features an integrated torque-converter/turbine clutch that saves weight and length, along with a built-in electric pump that maintains fluid pressure to minimize delays in transmission response in stop/start driving.

Weird, only one direct drive? You'd think they'd have multiples in order to find the best ratio for any given situation.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th gears are underdrive.
7th gear is 1:1.
8th, 9th, 10th gears are various overdrives.

You wouldn't have multiple gears with the same ratio AFAIK

I was being snarky--any fool knows you only need one direct drive, not sure why the Ford rep or the article writer needed to point it out.

Although to be fair, after I wrote that I thought about other transmissions which don't have direct drive. Close but not precisely 1.000:1. Not that it matters any which way, as the differential is another gear reduction.

Ward's has this to say about the dual injectors:

Quote:
...the extra fuel-delivery system also allows engineers to shut down the direct-injection system and its mechanical pump at low speeds and under low loads, reducing friction losses and emissions. Employing both systems at start-up cuts cold-start emissions as well.

Part throttle cylinder filling issues are well documented from the inception of DI. It is simply popular opinion that the secondary injectors in the manifold are for any type of cleaning.

I think you imagine you know how a modern slushbox works. After all, Google is a real info source.

My oft-repeated point is who cares about a drag race, especially in a full size pickup? I'll match my sig car up against any stock Egobooster. It goes like this: EB storms off the line like any awd drive car with torque. But around 100-120 mph you need a bit more than that. And that's when the ugly old poorly built POS Chrysler storms by like you've got your foot on the brake! And with only 5 gears. Get to a track for some high speed road course duty where the posers quickly die and it gets even uglier.

In case you missed the point, many truck owners care much more about the comfort level and OVERALL utility of the vehicle for the purchaser. They do not care what obvious fanboys say, because they make up their own mind. We LOVE our RAM, it's a terrific vehicle and has been flawless so far despite your advice!

Since their sales are through the roof it seems a few folks agree...

Last edited:
Of course the trucks are slow at high speed Steve. The aerodynamics hurt badly at that point. But at the same time, who cares? It's not going to be driven 100+ anyway.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Of course the trucks are slow at high speed Steve. The aerodynamics hurt badly at that point. But at the same time, who cares? It's not going to be driven 100+ anyway.

Note that I was speaking to the car platforms as well. Frankly they are quite the sleeper and can really get out of the hole.

I have never tried to race a truck. To me that seems almost silly, but I say to each his own...

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like truck bickering is identical to ricers, but instead of talking about V-Tecs and DOHC vs. pushrods it's about 0-60 while hauling a trailer. Both are equally hilarious.

Exactly! And I didn't buy my truck because it was "fast". To me that doesn't go in the same sentence as truck.

It's all about personal preference. Drive them all and enjoy the testing! We did...

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Note that I was speaking to the car platforms as well. Frankly they are quite the sleeper and can really get out of the hole.

I have never tried to race a truck. To me that seems almost silly, but I say to each his own...

I raced my V-6 Silverado once just for fun at the strip on test and tune day. I couldn't get it to go lower than 18 seconds LOL. But yes, all the manufacturers have some pretty decent trucks nowadays and although the Ram does a relatively slow time, it will tow just fine and is very nice for a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back