2017 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct and port injection. Hallelujah!! Is this the end of intake clogging? This reminds me of the theoretical Ecoboost engine that had both fuel systems with gasoline going into the port injector and E85 going into the direct. It made something like 800ftlbs torque. That would've been gross and not net since it was calculated from BMEP, but, still.

Words like "All New" tell me to wait at least one to two years before even considering it. 10 speed transmission? I can't wait to hear the reviews on it.

The only thing that would put me off is the 10 speed trans. I wouldn't even worry about the engine since they are basing it off the first-gen 3.5.

Utterly unserviceable at 130k.

A 10speed will never "not" be shifting. When will one actually be applying power? LOL

Lifetime fluid though I'm sure.

And a 3.5L in a full sized truck? What a joke. This is just a way to jack up the price on V8 models to $70k.

Displacement is king. And I drive a 2.4L. When I need more I get into a vehicle with a 5.7L. Simple math.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Utterly unserviceable at 130k.

A 10speed will never "not" be shifting. When will one actually be applying power? LOL

Lifetime fluid though I'm sure.

And a 3.5L in a full sized truck? What a joke. This is just a way to jack up the price on V8 models to $70k.

Displacement is king. And I drive a 2.4L. When I need more I get into a vehicle with a 5.7L. Simple math.
That's the same engine that's optional in the Transit (the 1st gen), it would be a LOT better than the gutless 3.7 it has in it now. Not sure what's up with the trend, in TRUCKS, to smaller & smaller engines being pushed harder & harder, no way they'll last.

I wonder if the dual injectors has more to do with getting enough fuel into the cylinder at full tilt, rather than any sort of intake valve carbon issue. That or better control--easier to turn off one injector altogether than it is to finely tune a mammoth one at idle.

I give Ford credit. Looks good but I agree on first year teething issues...
What they need to do is improve the fuel economy on the Ego Boast...

I still prefer Ford and my F350

So why doesn't Ford just make the starting base price for one at $50,000, and just get it over with?

Doing a great job of pricing the people who are their market... out of the market, so they can build new plants in Mexico.

Im sure under normal situations its not going through all 10 gears.....I would think its programming would allow it to skip gears

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
So why doesn't Ford just make the starting base price for one at $50,000, and just get it over with?

Doing a great job of pricing the people who are their market... out of the market, so they can build new plants in Mexico.

Remember that car companies don't build cars for people who can't afford to buy them new, they build them for the people that can. High end pickup trucks are meant for the people willing to fork out big bucks, typically businesses.

Your average Joe Shmuck shouldn't be buying pickup trucks new, but they do, and that screws up the fleet averages of companies like Ford, so then they have to build smaller engines with high gears, so that they can meet emissions goals without having to sell 3 times as many 1.0 Liter Ford Fiestas every year at a financial loss.

BC.

I'll have an order in for one as soon as they open it up. I love my 2013 FX4 and have been waiting for the 8-10 speed tranny to come along.
The EcoBoost is a towing monster.. I would love a V-8 Ecoboost, but have never wanted for more power with the 3.5.

the service industry has nothing to worry about in the next 20 years when it comes to employment.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Words like "All New" tell me to wait at least one to two years before even considering it. 10 speed transmission? I can't wait to hear the reviews on it.

Exactly, wait a few years, let everyone else who owns one be the guine pigs to work all the bugs out.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
I'll have an order in for one as soon as they open it up. I love my 2013 FX4 and have been waiting for the 8-10 speed tranny to come along.
The EcoBoost is a towing monster.. I would love a V-8 Ecoboost, but have never wanted for more power with the 3.5.

How much weight do you tow with the "Monster". I just can't wrap my brain around that a Twin turbo V6 is going to pull 10,000 lb plus without serious wear and tear, where a V8 Hemi will do it forever.

You really think Ford would risk their market share by putting out junk? Puh-lease. The big engine/small engine comparison is akin to the thick oil/thin oil debate that we still argue amongst ourselves. Guess what? The "thinner" oils are still kicking arshe.

Cue the doom and gloom crowd.

Has there been a rash of 3.5L Ecoboost engines failing yet at the low mileages predicted in this thread? They've been in the F150 since the 2011 model year after all...

I'm not here to say 10 gears is the right number, but has anyone here driven the 8 speed in the Ram? Makes for an awfully nice drive and I can only imagine how nice a few more gears will be with the 3.5L Ecoboost...

Only bad thing is, the small engines beat themselves (& the whole drivetrain) up with the endless shifting-my Cummins can pull a 7K loaded trailer effortlessly up a moderate hill without even unlocking the converter-the Transit can't get into top gear with the same load AT 65 MPH on flat ground, & is perpetually down shifting to try to keep up. I've already had the Transit's rear axle shimmed once for excessive free play-at 23K it's actually getting sloppy again. Weak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back