2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 6200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Scramblerguy
Oil life monitor showed 36% left and 331 total hrs with 53 idle hrs. This last fill had 3000 miles of towing 7500 lbs from Michigan to Atlanta multiple times.

The OLM would have let you go 500 hours / 10,000 miles.

Pretty far considering the turbo, the towing, and the semi syn non Euro spec oil.

The TBN might even be below 1 by then.

I agree with you wanting to do 5000 or so miles changes when towing. Looks like TBN would be around 3 at that point which is the lowest many recommend.

Originally Posted By: Scramblerguy
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Cut your OCI down to 5000 miles. That's too much fuel dilution. Remember that most of the fuel evaporates. That means your oil is being substantially diluted by non evaporating fuel by products. To back that up, you are clearly down at the lower end of the viscosity range.

I agree about the 5000 mile change, I am going to change the oil next at 15000 to get back on line with 5000. I didn't want to go longer that 5000 last time but my plate was full, sometimes life happens. Thanks for the comments Cujet

Another Ford EB engine where the "iOLM" seems to track down 10% loss of oil life for every 1,000 miles driven no matter how severe the driving conditions are it seems. The same in our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It seems that the Ford iOLM is mileage counter set for 10,000 miles OCI, similar to the one in our 2005 Explorer, only that was set to 5,000 mile OCI.

I did an UOA for a short term summer highway run of 7,000 miles and it came back just fine, except the viscosity was just a 30 weight with out indicated fuel dilution or reduced flash point, which could indicate fuel dilution. I'm sending in another sample run from late summer to early winter and I'll send in the 3rd sample that will encompass early winter through spring. I'm trying to establish seasonal wear/fuel dilution patterns, if any. We plan to keep this Explorer a long time as we do with all our vehicles and want to make sure it leads a long and healthy life. Whether Ford's iOLM is "the end all be all" for long term vehicle longevity is yet to be determined for me.

Whimsey

So far my 2.7 ecoboost has tracked 10,000 miles for the oil life monitor. I run M1 AP 5w30 as it is almost a 40w at 11.7 CST while under warranty.

Just for interest here are the transmission gear ratios for the 2017 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost

1. 4.69
2. 2.98
3. 2.14
4. 1.76
5. 1.52
6. 1.27
7. 1.00
8. 0.85
9. 0.68
10. 0.63

Some people call this a triple overdrive, that is the top 3 gears are overdrive. Gear 7 is 1.0 and gear 6 is the first underdrive gear at 1.27.
So, with a 3.55 rear end, if you wanted to compare this to the old technology of having no overdrive you would use gear 7 and the truck would be like an old school 3 speed with a 3.55 rear end. If you shifted to gear 6 with a 1.27 transmission ratio, it would be like having a 1.27 x 3.55 = 4.5 rear end, even higher than the old school 4.11. In this case, Scramblerguy was towing in 8th which is like having a .85 x 3.55 = 3.0 rear end. Scramblerguy was actually towing in the first over drive gear, but because the Ecoboost V-6 has so much torque, it didn't matter. He was able to tow at 64 mph at only 2100 rpm. This is why it really doesn't matter if you have a 3.55 or 3.73 rear end. What matters these days is what gear you set your transmission in to tow. The only real difference comes into play when you have the transmission in the third over drive gear (10), you will get better gas mileage with the 3.55 than the 3.73.

SF

Last edited:
Ford’s OLM will adjust the mileage for harsh driving conditions. Mine does just that. But 10k miles is the max from what I’ve seen.

I’d like to point out this is the new 2nd Gen EB motor. I think this is the first with fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back