2017 CRV

Picking news tires for my 2017 Honda CRV. Trying to balance my cheapish nature vs a good tire. Here's what I whittled it down to from Costco and Sam's club. Although I prefer costco for service.

Costco
Michelin cross climate 2 - $700 total
Bf goodrich advantage ts sport - $600

Sam's club
Pirelli scorpion verde all season plus 2 - $670

Any helpful thoughts? Thanks.

Did you read the recent thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/all-season-tires-with-snow-capability.340445/

The Michelin is probably a better choice if you do much high speed highway driving.

The BF Goodrich is also an extremely great tire but some complain about it being noisy ( I drive with the windows up all the time and play my music on a flash drive so they would not be bothering me if they were a little noisy and I never notice them ), and there was a tire-rack review that complained about it being too squirmy on highways and not tracking well, but I suspect that poster was a very high speed driver basically overdriving the speed ability of the tire, or driving a vehicle with worn out suspension parts that could not stay in alignment, or needed an alignment. One complaint does not always mean the item is at fault.

99 % of my driving is at speeds under 50 MPH and I like my set ( all 4 ) BF Goodrich a lot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What ever you get, it would be a wise investment to have a good ( shop or dealer ) that has a Hunter alignment machine that measures angles on all 4 wheels down to 1/100 of a degree do an alignment as soon as you put on the tires or just before you put them on.

Last edited:
If you get the Michelins, be aware that they are a directional tire, so when you rotate them they stay on the same side. Front to back and back to front but on the same side.

You do not cross the back drivers side to the front passengers side and do not cross the back passengers side to the front drivers side.

The Pirelli's are a fairly good price, but that particular model won't last very long.

Defender LTX M/S (X LT A/S) is probably your best bet if you can accumulate 50-60k within 4-5 years and are willing to forego some of the handling and ride quality characteristics.

Another good investment is a digital air gauge. You can find them at Advance Auto Parts. Check the air pressure every couple of months, but even more often when there is a change of seasons such as when the average outdoor temperature changes enough to cause you to change the outdoor clothes you wear. Air, including the air in tires, expands if it gets warmer, or shrinks if it gets colder. In general if the ambient changes 10 degree F. So if you checked the tires when it was 40 degrees F and now it is 90 degrees F you very well may see the pressure about 5 PSI higher and may have to let some out to keep the tires at proper pressure. And if you checked the tires when it was 75 F and now it is 20 F you may find the tires about 5.5 PSI low, and have to add air.

Last edited:
Michelin Defenders
The Michelin Defender is a very good tire that has a long life expectancy, but does not have the tpmsf symbol rating, so if where the OP lives is north Ohio or they drive in a decent amount of snow then it would be better to stay with something with the tpmsf symbol rating.

The Michelin Defender is a very good tire that has a long life expectancy, but does not have the tpmsf symbol rating, so if where the OP lives is north Ohio or they drive in a decent amount of snow then it would be better to stay with something with the tpmsf symbol rating.
Big meh.

Back