All season tires with snow capability

manicrodder

$50 site donor 2022
My 300 is going to need new tires this summer. I live at 6000 feet so snow happens. The Conti Is good choice but Goodyear has an assurance weatheready and Firestone has a weather track. It appears they have better snow performance than standard A/S tires. Does anyone have knowledge of these?
I had no use for the Eagles but maybe this Goodyear is better.

Its a compromise. True snow tires have softer rubber that cannot be used in warm/hot weather.

Pickups can get mud & snow, but while they can be used all year they have more road noise than a passenger car all season.

Shouldn't you be using winter tires in winter at 6000ft?

Krzyś
I'm not sure if the OP is after an all season to use in all seasons, or a decent a/s that can handle "some" snow in the off chance of snow during the other three seasons, but still plans to use snows in winter. That is what I do: I run RT43's, which are deemed "ok" in snow, but swap on real winter tires for Dec-April. If it snows outside of that window then it's not like I'm driving on bald tires.

I was waiting at a Costco the other day for my family and they had some oddball looking Michelin tires stacked that had the snowflake on a mountain symbol on the sidewall. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be all-season tires. Weird too as they had B traction rating (which is wet traction), an A temperature rating, and a 640 treadwear rating.

After looking it up they're the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

mi_crossclimate_2_full.jpg

The 2016 Honda CR-V I bought February of 2020 from a Honda dealer came with a new set ( all 4 ) of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A sport with the three peak mountain snow-flake symbol rating. Tirerack did a winter rating of several tires and these rated an 8.9 and the latest and greatest Bridgestone Blizzak WS 90 rated a 9.3 in winter performance. So while these did not rate as high as the dedicated Blizzak winter tire that you literally can not run in warm weather without wearing the out, they rated close to being as good as the Blizzak.

We had very little snow the last winter, but one day when there was snow still left in a big asphalt parking lot with no cement dividers in-front of each parking spot, I did some stops and acceleration and turns to see how well they gripped in snow. For the last 30 years I drove only Blizzaks on all 4 tires on every vehicle we had in the winter so I know how well they stick to the road in bad winter conditions ( even on slick ice when other vehicles are sliding off the road into curbs, center road dividers, and other vehicles ). These BF Goodrich had plenty enough traction in snow. I had to go out of my way to get them to brake loose. And we live on a hill and all winter I had no problems parking or pulling out when we had snow. Although my CR-V is AWD. I would say that Tirerack rated these correctly. They are not as impossible to cause them to break loose in snow as the dedicated winter Blizzaks are, but if you do not drive like a fool in winter conditions they have more than enough winter traction to keep you safe. Note I did not have any opportunity to drive on slick iced over roads last winter, but these tires do have a lot of small zig-zag slots built into them to give them some grip on ice. All in all I like them in the winter, and also in wet and dry. Its been months since I read the Tirerack reviews and I do not know if you can still access them, but you might look. Also look on YouTube.

The fairly new three peak mountain snow-flake symbol rating for all season tires is a new rating indicating that the tire has a new level of winter performance previously not available in all-season tires. So what ever all season you buy, if you want good winter performance, be sure it has that symbol.

The sport in the name means they also perform well in warm weather.

My sister in law has a set of these BF Goodrich on her Murano and she swears by them also. And She bought a set of them for the 2013 RAV4 AWD they recently bought for there son to use when he starts college in the snow-belt area of Cleveland.

This BF Goodrich is good for winter, good for wet, and good for summer.

My CR-V is the first vehicle I have owned that I did not buy a second set of rims and winter tires for. And if I wear out the set of BF Goodrich on it now I will buy a similar set to replace them. And the hills around Pittsburgh are nothing you want to drive in the winter without good winter tires.

The Michelin CrossClimate 2 that Y_P_W posted is probably the only other all season that give the BF Goodrich any competition. It also rates very well for winter performance. The Michelin usually cost a little more, and probably is a better tire if you want to cruse at very fast highway speeds, and might be a little less noisy. Compare both of these, they are both at the top of the line when it comes to all season tires, as of last fall.

I was waiting at a Costco the other day for my family and they had some oddball looking Michelin tires stacked that had the snowflake on a mountain symbol on the sidewall. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be all-season tires. Weird too as they had B traction rating (which is wet traction), an A temperature rating, and a 640 treadwear rating.

After looking it up they're the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

mi_crossclimate_2_full.jpg
Yes and I believe they carry 65,000 warranty.
Its a compromise. True snow tires have softer rubber that cannot be used in warm/hot weather.

Pickups can get mud & snow, but while they can be used all year they have more road noise than a passenger car all season.
The 2 above are covered for 65,000.

The 2016 Honda CR-V I bought February of 2020 from a Honda dealer came with a new set ( all 4 ) of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A sport with the three peak mountain snow-flake symbol rating. Tirerack did a winter rating of several tires and these rated an 8.9 and the latest and greatest Bridgestone Blizzak WS 90 rated a 9.3 in winter performance. So while these did not rate as high as the dedicated Blizzak winter tire that you literally can not run in warm weather without wearing the out, they rated close to being as good as the Blizzak.

We had very little snow the last winter, but one day when there was snow still left in a big asphalt parking lot with no cement dividers in-front of each parking spot, I did some stops and acceleration and turns to see how well they gripped in snow. For the last 30 years I drove only Blizzaks on all 4 tires on every vehicle we had in the winter so I know how well they stick to the road in bad winter conditions ( even on slick ice when other vehicles are sliding off the road into curbs, center road dividers, and other vehicles ). These BF Goodrich had plenty enough traction in snow. I had to go out of my way to get them to brake loose. And we live on a hill and all winter I had no problems parking or pulling out when we had snow. Although my CR-V is AWD. I would say that Tirerack rated these correctly. They are not as impossible to cause them to break loose in snow as the dedicated winter Blizzaks are, but if you do not drive like a fool in winter conditions they have more than enough winter traction to keep you safe. Note I did not have any opportunity to drive on slick iced over roads last winter, but these tires do have a lot of small zig-zag slots built into them to give them some grip on ice. All in all I like them in the winter, and also in wet and dry. Its been months since I read the Tirerack reviews and I do not know if you can still access them, but you might look. Also look on YouTube.

The fairly new three peak mountain snow-flake symbol rating for all season tires is a new rating indicating that the tire has a new level of winter performance previously not available in all-season tires. So what ever all season you buy, if you want good winter performance, be sure it has that symbol.

The sport in the name means they also perform well in warm weather.

My sister in law has a set of these BF Goodrich on her Murano and she swears by them also. And She bought a set of them for the 2013 RAV4 AWD they recently bought for there son to use when he starts college in the snow-belt area of Cleveland.

This BF Goodrich is good for winter, good for wet, and good for summer.

My CR-V is the first vehicle I have owned that I did not buy a second set of rims and winter tires for. And if I wear out the set of BF Goodrich on it now I will buy a similar set to replace them. And the hills around Pittsburgh are nothing you want to drive in the winter without good winter tires.
Thanks. This is comparable to the ones I am interested in.

I would just point out that the key is not about how soft they feel sitting on a display but how soft they are when it's actually quite cold. So if it can stay relatively soft once the temps go down and it's effective in snow, that's the only thing that really matters.

Roads are typically plowed quickly and it snows here less you than you think. My car is AWD and legal with MS tires.

Legal does not mean safe.
Do you encounter ice at 6000 ft. Does AWD help you steer or stop?

From tirerack:

"WeatherGrip tires meet industry severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol, and are designed to be a one-tire solution for drivers in environments that experience all four seasons, but don't receive sufficient snowfall or icy conditions to require a dedicated winter tire."

3MPSF is snow traction test only.

Krzys

Legal does not mean safe.
Do you encounter ice at 6000 ft. Does AWD help you steer or stop?

From tirerack:

"WeatherGrip tires meet industry severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol, and are designed to be a one-tire solution for drivers in environments that experience all four seasons, but don't receive sufficient snowfall or icy conditions to require a dedicated winter tire."

3MPSF is snow traction test only.

Krzys
I don't spend too much driving on the open road anymore so I'm just looking for around town. I drove the high Sierras for more than 15 years in the winter.
I know what you're talking about. AWD does help you steer. Braking is another story.

Back