What 3pmsf all season tires?

I've been happy with my CrossClimate2's, but really haven't put a lot of mileage on them due to not needing to drive this year because of the pandemic. :/

I haven't tried the WeatherReady in snow yet. I will this winter as they have at least 10/32" and came on my used Accord. I CAN tell you that I find them very noisy overall for highway trips. They are noisier than the Continental WinterContact Si I put on last winter. For 3 season I put some Pirelli P7 on and made a large difference in lack of road noise and ride better even though Pirelli is on 17" rims and GoodYear is on 16" rims. If I don't like the GY this winter they will get replaced. I have other vehicles with dedicated snows and AWD if needed.

I like the General AW365 from tests/reviews. I had some great General Altimax Arctic on multiple vehicles.

The CC2 has gotten many great reviews especially for snow.

I'd skip the Firestone- the snows never got good reviews, not sure how the all weather would be.

Nokian has many good choices also for All Weather.

For what it's worth to someone, I'll put in a good word for the Firestone Weathergrip. I took the stupid 19" tires off of my 2019 Ford Fusion AWD and put 225/60R16 Weathergrips on for my 3 season tires. I run 215/65R16 Hankook Winter Ipikes studded for winter use, but I've been trying out the Firestone Weathergrips in winter conditions to get a feel for their capabilities. I usually experience snow on the road at times for 11 months of the year, so I was looking for something that could handle that well during the summer months.

For summer conditions, I have to say that I absolutely love this tire so far. It's very quiet, has a nice ride, and is much nicer to take a normal drive down the highway on than the over-responsive 19" stock Continentals. The tire does extremely well with standing water, and has plenty of wet grip. If I was building the car, this is the setup I would have put on it. 16" is not cool, but won't leave you walking just because you didn't see a pothole, and walking when you want to be driving is also not cool. There's still plenty of performance for street use on winding roads.

In wet slush, the Weathergrips might even be a touch better than the dedicated winter tires, despite being a size wider, likely due to the more open tread pattern. I have noticed that one area where the current generation of dedicated snow tires is worse than the howling, open treaded snow tires of 30 years ago (Wintermaster, etc.) is slush.

In snow, particularly dry snow, the Weathergrips are very good. Maybe too good...

Ice, particularly wet ice, or slush with an icy bottom, is the weakest point. I'm not really comfortable with the drastic change from very good snow traction, to the poor ice traction. In a bare pavement sun to snowy shade transition, there's a disconcerting zero-traction jump as the icy transition is crossed. To be fair, I'm comparing to the studded winter tires I'm used to driving on, but these are definitely not a one tire for the whole year solution for me. If you had slushy, heavily treated, roads to drive, and mostly a difficult snow filled driveway or parking lot that was the problem, these might be ticket.

I think these tires are a good step up from the usual all-season, but still a fair step down from a dedicated winter tire. I guess the best example is that I pulled up to my rural mailbox a few days ago on glare ice, as I've done countless times. I soon realized that the car wasn't going to stop in time on these tires. I got off the brakes, and steered around the impending collision. So, the bad news, they didn't have the traction to stop in time. The good news is they did have enough traction to steer around the mailbox.

I, and my mailbox, are looking forward to the switch to the real winter tires, sometime very soon.

cross climate 2?
these are strong summer bias type.
i´m thinking about more balanced , goodyear vector 4seasons gen-3
this winter i will have cc+ for last time. ~4,5mm which should be enough. these after 2-3y are sometimes skiddy on water...:rolleyes:
let´s hope nothing bad happens this year.

After about 80 kph you're taking your chances on any tyre with regards to aquaplaning. There's a strong correlation between aquaplaning and tyre pressure too.

Extra thread gives you a few kph more, but that's single digits and only if water depth doesn't exceed thread depth. Grip loss is a gradual thing though, the closer you get to critical speed the less grip you have.

these are strong summer bias type.
i´m thinking about more balanced , goodyear vector 4seasons gen-3
this winter i will have cc+ for last time. ~4,5mm which should be enough. these after 2-3y are sometimes skiddy on water...:rolleyes:
let´s hope nothing bad happens this year.
4.5mm is awfully close to the minimum tread depth requirement for certain countries.

Hopefully you have a set of chains for backup.

Surface is R > L .
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG

Surface : R > L

IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited:
btw those micro ridges on rubber blocks are only for "tyre tests cheating".:)
because it lasts few hundreds miles before wear out completely to flat surface...

Another new all weather tire that has received very good ratings on Consumer Reports is the Hankook Kinergy 4s2. If you are someone who appreciates the dry handling prowess of the CrossClimate but can't stomach that price, this might be a sweet spot. Auto Bild did a performance test and they scored better than the CrossClimate. (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-All-Season-Tyre-Market-Overview.htm). Note that the General Tire in this test is not the same model as the 365 AW. CR rates the 4s2's marginally worse the 365 AW's in ice braking, but still rated very good. The downside is that the 4s2's are rated noisier than those two tires.

A newcomer to the US market but is highly regarded in Europe is Vredestein. Their quatrac pro ranked better than the crossclimate in the Auto Bild test, and their Quatrac (slightly toned down performance for smaller rim sizes) in the tyrereviews.com test performed quite admirably. This is a sleeper pick that not many people know about. (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm) Unfortunately, our all-weather options in the US are highly limited to those in Europe, where all weather tires are considered standard.

In my opinion, these five tires vastly outperform the other all-weather tires available in the American market for someone who lives in a winter climate that experiences melted and dry roads. While the Firestone, Goodyear, Nokian, Toyo might have good winter traction... with the lack of handling and wet/dry grip of these tires you might as well get a true winter tire.

Last edited:
Back