2017 Corvette / 14.4k / ACDelco MTF

This is the third manual transmission change the car has seen. Mileage worked out to nearly double (14.4k vs 7.6k) and track time was about 50% longer (22 hours vs 15 hours). The car has a dedicated transmission cooler.

Blackstone said things still look fine. Wear metals are dropping on a per-mile basis but the viscosity was again a bit thin, though didn't seem to cause any issues.

I'm now using Red Line D4 ATF instead of the OEM fluid.

Code

OIL ACDelco ACDelco ACDelco

MILES IN USE 14,465 7,623 6,392

MILES 28,480 14,015 6,392

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/24/20 10/20/18 9/22/17

ALUMINUM 8 8 11

CHROMIUM 0 0 1

IRON 63 52 82

COPPER 7 12 22

LEAD 1 1 1

TIN 0 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 0 1 2

NICKEL 0 1 2

MANGANESE 7 13 35

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 1 2 3

POTASSIUM 1 1 3

BORON 109 96 46

SILICON 10 9 16

SODIUM 3 4 9

CALCIUM 30 21 0

MAGNESIUM 1 0 1

PHOSPHORUS 270 234 160

ZINC 7 7 11

BARIUM 0 1 3

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.1 0.2

WATER 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT �F 400 390 385

SUS VIS 210�F 41.4 42.3 43.4

cSt @ 212�F 4.59 4.89 5.23

TBN

TAN 1.8 1.3 1.3

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
How does your shifting feel with the Redline?

Not much different from the OEM stuff. Car already has an MGW short shifter so the shift feel was already decent.

Thanks dparm.
I noticed in your videos how short and crisp your shifter was. Very impressive.

I finally replaced the gearbox oil last year in my C-5 using Castrol merc-dex as it had been reported as a good substitute for Dex-3. The old oil was factory fill with about 12-13k miles. I was TOTALLY blown away in the improvement in shift quality. I had reserved myself to the fact that the stock shifter just wasn't very good.
Now with the fluid change, I absolutely love driving the car again. I guess it deteriorated so slowly I didn't notice. Mind you my car hasn't seen any track-day or similar, just spirited fun in the Rockies. It still surprised me how much the shift quality had degraded in only 13k miles.
This fluid change is now on my radar and I've been keenly watching your posts on the subject.
Thank you.
Duke.

Thanks dparm.

It's an MGW shifter. One of the only mods the car has and well worth the $400. The factory shifter is trash -- mushy, poorly defined gates, no feedback. The MGW is a big improvement but the 2-3 shift is still iffy at times.

Thanks for posting this. I'll keep an eye on your UOAs to compare to mine since I also have a C7
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dparm
Thanks dparm.

It's an MGW shifter. One of the only mods the car has and well worth the $400. The factory shifter is trash -- mushy, poorly defined gates, no feedback. The MGW is a big improvement but the 2-3 shift is still iffy at times.

Hello again dparm.
You definitely piqued my interest with the MGW shifter. At first I was hesitant to make this change to my 50th Anniversary edition as I want to keep it 100% stock. However, two things changed my mind:
1) As you said: "The factory shifter is trash". Totally agree and believe this update would do nothing but improve the car.
2) I thought it would be obvious that the shifter isn't stock. After looking at it some more, I see that the shifter boot completely covers the shifter shaft. I can also reuse the stock shift knob for appearance.

SO.... Here's my question to you: During research of this shifter, I came across a modification called the "Anti-Venom Mod". This appears to be merely shimming the detent ball in the transmission so that it enables easier shifts. Less detent.
Have you any experience and or comments about this modification?
TIA.

Duke

Originally Posted by dparm
Thanks dparm.

Hello again dparm.
You definitely piqued my interest with the MGW shifter. At first I was hesitant to make this change to my 50th Anniversary edition as I want to keep it 100% stock. However, two things changed my mind:
1) As you said: "The factory shifter is trash". Totally agree and believe this update would do nothing but improve the car.
2) I thought it would be obvious that the shifter isn't stock. After looking at it some more, I see that the shifter boot completely covers the shifter shaft. I can also reuse the stock shift knob for appearance.

SO.... Here's my question to you: During research of this shifter, I came across a modification called the "Anti-Venom Mod". This appears to be merely shimming the detent ball in the transmission so that it enables easier shifts. Less detent.
Have you any experience and or comments about this modification?
TIA.

Duke

Interesting, I had never even heard of this. Opinions seem mixed on CorvetteForum based on skimming a few threads. I guess it's worth trying if you have the time and know-how, seeing as how it's removable/reversible. Ultimately you are still fighting physics to a certain degree -- the car is a transaxle so you have a linkage going all the way back to the rear axle.

Back