2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Status
Not open for further replies.
We scheduled an appointment on Saturday to go look at a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica with 11k miles one it. It was a leas vehicle that ended up sold at auction and is now being sold for very cheap. Carfax came back perfect except no oil change. The 3.6L Pentastar is rated for 10k miles. So its 1k over but it's a 2017 so time wise way over due. Would that be a deal breaker? Our current ride is a 2011 Durango Citadel AWD with 150k miles on the clock. I was thinking PUP with a fram Ultra would remide the oil change abuse in this case. Opinions?

In my opinion, I think you should do a short oil change for the first oil change if you suspect it's on the factory fill.

I would probably use a Pennzoil conventional 5w-20 for a short run of 2-3k miles switch out the filter too. There may be some small flakes in the filter pleats.

I wouldn't not buy a vehicle I got a great deal on because it had an 11k interval once, if that is true. You can run a car fax on my vehicle and no oil changes would show and I've done plenty. Oil stays in the sump when not running, so even "IF" is ran out of tbn 3k miles ago very likely there would be no appreciable damage in the engine due to acid buildup. It's not like 0tbn translates to 10TAN, it still takes time for TAN to raise. If you don't have mechanics look at vehicles you get what you get, but at 11k miles on odo it is a low risk move imo.

This is one downside of cartridge filters. If it were a spin-on filter, you'd know if it had been changed, just by taking a quick look at it.

Maybe they DIY'd an oil change. Take a look at the dipstick, the oil would look pretty dark if original, but no dealer with half a brain would sell a car with dirty oil.

I'd buy it unless I saw something obvious with the dip stick or filter that looked suspect. Even if on the original oil, it would probably be fine if the oil looks serviceable. Those Pentastars are pretty easy on oil.

That up to 10Kmile interval is with the 6395 standard meaning not even synthetic oil is required. The factory fill on the 3.6 nowadays is Pennzoil. I would purchase 6 quarts of 5W20 Yellow bottle Pennzoil and a Mopar filter and change it asap after purchase. I would continue using that combination forever. The oil changes on that vehicle are easy. Careful spinning the cartridge cover back on. Hand tight, over tightening leads to issues that you don't want.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
How good a deal is it? What's the asking price?

Its $18k 2017 with 11k miles. They are offering me $13.3k trade in on the Durango.

The lack of oil change is mostly irrelevant but I'd be leery of a vehicle that new, sold at auction then resold cheap. It may have something substantial wrong with it.

Carfax doesn't necessarily mean anything, a dealer may have repaired it in house and failed to report it, or the auction buyer did, or neither repaired the problem and either way it's now selling as is.

Originally Posted by gregk24
These had some nasty transmission problems, not sure if they were ever resolved.

First I've heard of this. I thought the tranny problems were ironed out a decade prior to this model.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by gregk24
These had some nasty transmission problems, not sure if they were ever resolved.

First I've heard of this. I thought the tranny problems were ironed out a decade prior to this model.

The Pacifica uses a ZF 9 speed. The Grand Caravans are on the older 62TE 6 speed. It's part of what drove me to buying a Grand Caravan over the Pacifica.... the biggest issue was them banging into gear. I know there were a ton of software updates for them.

I am still very skeptical of these high gear automatic transmissions. These 8, 9, 10 speed automatic's, make me very nervous for long term longevity. They Are made exclusively for improved feel economy however I think the jury is still out for long-term reliability

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I am still very skeptical of these high gear automatic transmissions. These 8, 9, 10 speed automatic's, make me very nervous for long term longevity. They Are made exclusively for improved feel economy however I think the jury is still out for long-term reliability

The ZF 8 speed seems to hold up just fine. And I would say they're just for fuel economy... The Dodge Durango for instance dropped ~1 full second off their 0-60 times without adding any extra power to the v6 or 5.7 HEMI, while also improving fuel economy. I personally trust them way more than I do a CVT.

The rfe's can be upgraded to be near bullet proof, but it aint cheap, first valve body springs, pistons, solonoid, plate, couple small things, then you will need a tune for line pressure, and then you look at the transmision upgraded. Then you get to easy stuff like drain pan and metal thread upgrade to accept synthetic filtration.

Couple great video's...

rfe trans upgrades

rfe valve body

The issue with the 8 speed, they are known as disposable tranny's, $4500 to replace the entire thing. Not easily servicable, over 1200 to get a fluid flush, and you cant even check the fluid level w/o a part one and two dyi video process. Sean's evo diesel Chabbel has a decent flush procedure, but it is nothing like the rfe's. Here's the difference, rfe's are very prone to problems but can easily be upgraded and improved. The 8 speeds are more reliable out of the gate but not very buildable, certainly nothing like the rfe's. Plus I don't like the entire mechanically heated fluid thing personally, there are a decent percent of these tranny's that simply operate over 225f. Something very very rare with the rfe. It is a mixed bag, maybe the edge going to the 8 speed because they really do get better mileage, no joke. To much bogging in the rfe's if you don't tune out the shift points. Rams got mileage upgrade from 545rfe to 68rfe, and then again with the zf8, it's no joke well over 5 real world mpg's. Maybe they will be easily buildable in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back