2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD - dealer oil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What about the filter, any recommendations there? Although separate thread going on for that.

Yes - a high end wire backed synthetic media filter like FRAM XG, Wix XP, NAPA Platinum, or Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
6 quarts of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and take it to an independent repair shop (not quick lube)

When I use the vehicle selector on Castrol's site they state they don't have a recommended oil for my car.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: webfors
I agree, might bring in my own oil. But 6 quarts... ouch!
Ouch? $40k for a new Cadillac and $35 for oil is a lot?

Actually, I wouldn't let them touch it. Who knows what they'll put in. Even if you bring it back for a proper oil change, the oil comes out of hoses. Who know what hose the guy will grab.

Or they may not change it at all but say that they did.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I agree, might bring in my own oil. But 6 quarts... ouch!
Ouch? $40k for a new Cadillac and $35 for oil is a lot?

Actually, I wouldn't let them touch it. Who knows what they'll put in. Even if you bring it back for a proper oil change, the oil comes out of hoses. Who know what hose the guy will grab.

Dang, now my dealer paranoia radar is in full boost :p

So I'm going to put this sweet ATS into my maintenance stable, and forget about the "free" maintenance from Cadillac.

I'm leaning towards swapping the oil tonight with my stash of PP 5w30 with an XG10060 filter. The PP is only Dexos1 licensed not D1G2 licensed.

I would like to know if the new PP 5w30 D1G2 is a different formulation.

[

With this vehicle being a DI Turbo if you check the oil before you leave the dealer if should be a lot lighter if they changed the oil. If you bring your own quality synthetic oil for them to install I'd be more concerned with the "dealer oil tech" using the dealer oil on your vehicle and keeping your synthetic for his ricer. You can ask for your empty containers back but he still could have transferred your oil into other containers he can walk away with. If this vehicle is one you're not going to keep for a long time, more than the 4 year warranty, I would not worry and let the dealer use his oil. Sad to say it's the next owner's problem then.

Whimsey

I’m not using my free changes on the Tahoe … they told me I could pay the difference if I requested M1 … but it’s not like they let you in the shop anymore …

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
[

With this vehicle being a DI Turbo if you check the oil before you leave the dealer if should be a lot lighter if they changed the oil.

Based on what the OP described, his oil was just changed a few days ago, so it's probably still clean looking, which means it would be difficult for him to tell the difference between this oil and brand new one.

Just got a call back from Pennzoil tech support in tx. They confirmed that PP D1G2 is reformulated and that they only starting producing it in September. The old PP is close, but not the same.

So I'm going to put this sweet ATS into my maintenance stable, and forget about the "free" maintenance from Cadillac.

"maintenance stable"

I punched that into Google Images as this is what I got.
grin.gif

l-img-6500.jpg

Just got a call back from Pennzoil tech support in tx. They confirmed that PP D1G2 is reformulated and that they only starting producing it in September. The old PP is close, but not the same.

PP 5W30 was a mid-level calcium oil (2200-2400 ppmish) without sodium, pretty similar to the QSUD 5W30 that, in its Gen 2 version, now looks a lot like the last few years of M1 5W30 (~1200ppm calcium with a pretty good dose of magnesium). Probably not a terrible choice if you're concerned about LSPI, of course I have no idea if it could have passed the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI tests (maybe not since it did get reformulated, after all).
PP is one of the Gen 2 oils I have seen on the WM shelves locally.

Last edited:
Look Webfors,you are a paying customer.Demand they change out that oil and put proper spec 5w30 from the 1 liter bottles. Don't settle for anything less! Start your new ride out on the right foot.Good luck.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Every Ford is spec'd for 5w20 except for the 3.5 ecoboost where it is spec'd 5w30. I buy a used 2014 Lincoln MKS and the dealer says it's ready to go. I asked if they changed the oil and he said yes when it was prepped. I mentioned 5w30? and he said we put 5w20 in everything; it doesn't need anything special (manual calls for 5w30). Drove the car 2,000 miles and I changed it out with Magnatec 5w30.

2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost: factory spec is 5w30.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Look Webfors,you are a paying customer.Demand they change out that oil and put proper spec 5w30 from the 1 liter bottles. Don't settle for anything less! Start your new ride out on the right foot.Good luck.

The threat of going to another dealer for your service should have them scurrying to please you. If that is not the case you are better off somewhere else anyway. It sounds like you are having a bumpy start with this service dept. Talk to the Service Manager.

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
Doesn't the EcoBoost mustang also call for 5w30 in the 2.3?

We have a 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer and it specs 5W-30 in the owner's manual and on the oil fill cap. Direct Injection and Turbo's beat the oil pretty hard. I think that's why Ford has gone away from recommending 5W-20 on the EB engines to 5W-30. And for the first time in all the years I've owned Fords, in the owner's manual, they also spec synthetic oil for the EB engines. If you plan on keeping your vehicle past the warranty and for a long time I'm sure synthetic oil is preferable to a blend or conventional oil even if they meet Ford's oil spec, which some conventional oils do.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: madeej11

Aint nobody got time for that!
grin.gif

30 minutes DIY, vs a half day of driving, arguing and waiting. I called them and let them know that if they want my business they'll need to do better. Expecting a call back from the service manager to discuss tomorrow.

Went by the dealership today, spoke with the Service Manager regarding the concern about 0w20 going in my sump, and he confirmed two things after an internal investigation:

1. The part number on my work order was a "clerical error". That part number no longer maps to anything they have in their bulk offerings. He confirmed with the tech who did the work and they are certain 5w30 D1G2 went in the sump.

2. And most importantly he confirmed the part numbers of their bulk oil and they are indeed ACDelco bulk 5w30 Dexos1 Gen2. He said they have two part numbers they can use in the ATS, one is the ACDelco and the other is the M1 5w30, both full syn 5w30 D1G2 spec'd.

So all that to say is, it looks like I dumped perfectly good oil. They offered to change the oil again for me and even gave me a $100 gift certificate for their service and/or parts counter. Pretty good response IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back