2016 Subaru STI 31,463 miles, 2800 mile uoa Castrol edge euro 0w40 w/ OEM filter

Just sharing another oil change - again using the good old Castrol 0w40. The next UOA will be edge 0w30, I have to use up my stock from circa 2017-18 LL01 era. This gets daily driven about 7-8 mile one way to work everyday, high rpms and WOT runs here and there for good times of course.
blackstonesti.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report. However, they are all very low mileage intervals . You could easily go 5-6k miles between changes.

Good report. However, they are all very low mileage intervals . You could easily go 5-6k miles between changes.
Probably because of the low mileage rate. I'm seeing ~10 months between oil changes. It looks like he's averaging ~4400 miles per year since August 2020.

I agree OP that you could at least bump the OCI to every 12 months, but I also understand getting antsy to do an oil change.

What grade oil does your Subaru 2.5L engine call for?
I too have done short OCIs(+/- 3K mile) when I did lots of short tripping during a particular OCI.

What grade oil does your Subaru 2.5L engine call for?
I too have done short OCIs(+/- 3K mile) when I did lots of short tripping during a particular OCI.
5W-30 required for "optimum engine performance and protection".

5W-40 is also shown on the chart and the manual mentions that in higher temps higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

The older turbocharged EJ's thrive on thicker oil.

To answer a couple of questions -
1) Car isn't modified, stock intake stock tune
2) Factory grade recommendation is 5w30
3) Yes, I'm sure i could extend the intervals but those of you familiar w/ the EJ25 turbo and its issues across the years could see why I prefer to shorten the interval. In fact subaru has extended the warranty of the motor to 10 year 100,000.

Car takes around 4.5 quarts per oil change so theres not much oil. The short tripping, WOT runs + the factors listed above make me just change the oil around 3k give or take. I usually try to find a day off to do it so sometimes over 3k sometimes under.

Castrol Edge 0W30 is back with LL01.
Really? Awesome! is it still “high” PAO?

I’ve been using Euro Castrol for 40-45k miles (approx 9 OCI’s), “stretching” the OCI’s to 4500-5000miles (OM says 3750), which is about 12 months or so. car has 146k total. Still getting single-digit wear metals on the UOA’s; I’ve tested only 4 times. Ending KV100‘s mostly low 11’s, lowest was 10.8. TBN’s 3.2-3.5). Current fill is mix of the last of my 0w30, with 0w40 (About 50-50%). I’ve been thinking of what next, but if 0w30 Euro Castrol has returned, I’ll be looking for it…before Dec 2023 (LOL). Without any compelling evidence, I prefer it to the 0w40. It used to lose a little oil, but replacing the O-ring on the oil filter/cooler sleeve appears to have rectified that. hoping it will last a bit longer, given the crazy prices for cars recently.

To the OP, I don’t know how tough your climate or driving style is, or how much more your engine is tuned compared to my bone stock ~250hp 2007 turbo, but the Euro Castrol has done well for me. It’s possible any Euro 0w30, 5w30, 0w40 oil would do as well. I do like this Castrol better than “normal” USA SN Mobil 1 5w30 (which I used while under extended warranty), which in turn, I liked better than Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 I tried once… Which might have been SM, maybe SN...whatever we had 10-11 years ago.

people might think I’m paranoid about oil…in my Ford EcoBoost, they’d be right. It isn’t the Subaru that causes me to lose sleep. The two shops that have seen my Subaru in the last 5 years both like Motul. I wonder what they charge their customers for Motul nowadays?

Back