2016 Mazda antifreeze

So most engines are cast iron, cast aluminum, with rubber hoses. So why do I need special antifreeze for my Mazda or is that all hype? What is wrong with plain old green? Seems that not changing it is worse than worrying about what to put in there. Does it matter what I use as long as it is ethylene glycol based?

The antifreeze will last longer if it’s FL22, Zerex Asian, or similar PHOAT based. Some are even saying the new Peak 10X and Prestone Corguard AMAM/Motorcraft Specialty Yellow are OK. Old school green will need to be changed more often like every 3 years.

I am having a hard time finding the stuff. Looks like $25 a gallon for full strength.

Ok so the manual says 10 yrs or 120k miles which seems pretty long of an interval. It says FL22 antifreeze. What are the specs on it?

Ok so the manual says 10 yrs or 120k miles which seems pretty long of an interval. It says FL22 antifreeze. What are the specs on it?

Mazda FL22 is just a dark green dyed version of the typical Asian P-OAT coolants that all the Asian car makers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc use but with different colors. Prestone all makes all models is now a P-OAT so it's the easiest choice, and it's a neutral color so it won't change the color of the coolant you're adding it too. It would avoid old school green because it has a shorter service life and the it tends to eventually build up a film in the form of silicate that precipitates out.

So most engines are cast iron, cast aluminum, with rubber hoses. So why do I need special antifreeze for my Mazda or is that all hype? What is wrong with plain old green? Seems that not changing it is worse than worrying about what to put in there. Does it matter what I use as long as it is ethylene glycol based?

Use the OEM or approved antifreeze. Your engine is aluminium alloy. There is a reason your owners manual dictates which type of antifreeze to use.

Back