One-time Coolant Question

2016 Optima 2.4 GDI, manual says ethylene glycol with phosphate based coolant. My brain will only hold so much, and antifreeze details aren't going to be included. The next time I think about this will be another 50K miles. I do worry a little more about oil :).
So many discussions about PHOAT, POAT, organic acids blah blah. I will flush first, use Asian pink, green, Peak too many choices? OR does it even matter?
Any quick help appreciated.

Hyundai/KIA owner here. I went down this rabbit hole because I don't like universal coolants and my (and professional) research led to Pentofrost A2 coolant. It's been working wonderfully.

The newest formulas of Prestone and Peak (10X) both meet the recommendation of your owner's manual (ethylene glycol and phosphate based). I'd use either without a second thought. The Prestone contains 2-EHA while the PEAK supposedly does not...so if 2-EHA bothers you*....use PEAK 10X.

*2-EHA wouldn't bother me in a 2016 Kia or any other vehicle made that recently....

2016 Optima 2.4 GDI, manual says ethylene glycol with phosphate based coolant. My brain will only hold so much, and antifreeze details aren't going to be included. The next time I think about this will be another 50K miles. I do worry a little more about oil :).
So many discussions about PHOAT, POAT, organic acids blah blah. I will flush first, use Asian pink, green, Peak too many choices? OR does it even matter?
Any quick help appreciated.
If you're going to flush, you might want to use a concentrate with distilled water and do 50/50. In socal, I don't supposed it would matter as much. Napa carries their house brand of asian specific atf's in concentrate, pretty sure its made by Valvoline.

I've switched all my vehicles to PEAK 10X. I can't seem to grasp the multitude of antifreeze/coolant options out there. My newest car is a 2012 Hyundai and they didn't seem to specify that well... Too many choices indeed!

Forget flushing a 2016 vehicle, for most manufacturers recommend a radiator drain and fill after 10 years or 120K (Hyundai/Kia maybe sooner though). Hyundai/Kia use a P-OAT (aka P-HOAT) just like all the other Asian makes, can use Prestone in it's place or any of the other numerous Asian aftermarket formulas.

kia coolant was behind the times and still using benzoate, like old toyota red

they recently upgraded to a formula with 2EHA as the main inhibitor

My philosophy on coolant usually is to just go OE because it’s something you do so infrequently and at such high mileage intervals that for a few extra bucks, why bother with something else? No flush needed, no worry about what is the right formula or not. No nothing but a simple drain and fill and you’re done for the next five years or until the next guy that buys the car has to worry about it.

However honestly an aftermarket formula close to what is needed will also be ok. But you wouldn’t catch me doing anything but a simple drain and fill. I’m not doing a flush, block drain or any of that stuff. Just, bottom of the radiator drain and fill whatever it takes. Repeat 50,000 miles from now. Easy.

Back