antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was reconnoitering WallyWorld this morning and took a look at the antifrreze section. Not that I need any, since I put new Wally world antifreeze w/still water in last fall after I flushed the system as best I could.

All the containers save one, were featuring "long-life" and "for all systems" or words like that. The one container was a grey wallyworld container and says ethylene glycol plus some silicate compounds just like Prestone used to say.

So, When I have to replace antifreeze next year, if I couldn't get the old type antifreeze, would this new stuff injure my '72 Plymouth's cast iron block and heads and brass and copper and solder radiator?

Thanks

Nope. "OAT" antifreeze/coolants are taking over. Staaarrt likin' it. If you're really hooked on silicates that come out of solution as gel or hard precipitates and phosphates & borates that eat water pump seals, get the old stuff while you can. By the end of next year I doubt that the old stuff'll be available at all except possibly as Pig Lots closeouts or overpriced who-knows-what-brand at pump-your-own/convenience stores. You could also consider Zerex G-05, a "HOAT" antifreeze/coolant. G-05 has reduced silicate levels and no phosphates or borates.

[ August 29, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I find it very interesting that Yellow Jug Prestone is no longer the conventional "green stuff" to which we have been familiar.It's still green but.............
It says on the jug that it is compatible with ANY antifreeze that exists (or something to that effect) The ingredients listed on the jug are exactly the same as is listed on their Long Life (Dex-Cool equivalent). I guess that if a company like Prestone drops their highly slicated product in favor of OAT technology, the conventional green stuff is eventually going away altogether.
They claim that it meets all the specs from GM, Ford & Chrysler. I still like Zerex G-05.
Ed

My chief concern would be that it would attack the solder used to assemble the radiator and particularly the heater core because a new heater core is a job I definitely don't want. The information I've found so far is conflicting. I guess next fall when I replace the coolant, I will be starting my own experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back