2016 F150 supercrew cab 4x4 w/ NA 3.5 V6????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nyumski
why dont u try Chevy colorado? it has 3.6 L V6 308 hp @6800rpm and 275 lbf.ft torque @4800, curb wight is 4419 lbs and GVWR is 6000 lbs.

i think so much faster that F150 with that V6 engine unless you buy with ecoboost one. way different.

and F-150 also midsize truck, right?

No, the F-150 is a full sized truck.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: 04SE
It will be strange going from a 2009 FX4 with a 5.4 3V that has intake, exhaust and tune to a V6.

At the risk of sounding like I'm preaching (I'm not), I'd ask why you'd trade out of something you know and like into something that you're already afraid you won't like?

It isn't that I am afraid of it I was more caught off guard and confused. It makes sense to me now and I am intrigued by the engine option of the truck. I am looking for a newer truck so this fits the bill as I didn't want a 5.0 or 3.5EB. Not to mention my 5.4 3V has 124,000 miles and will eventually need an oil pump, timing chains, tensioners and phasers along with new exhaust manifolds. All are common 5.4 3V failures. The parts alone are north of $1,200 for OEM not to mention the myriad of specialty tools I would need to acquire, the down time and that doesn't include any repair problems or account for having to drill exhaust studs out. I am not afraid of a new truck, I am afraid of what my current truck can do to me in terms of down time.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do the 3V engines need to wind out as bad as the 2V engines did? In my experience towing with a 5.4 2V, they need to wind out just as bad.

Pulling a 5000 pound trailer in my Friend's FISO with this engine, the most RPM it saw was 4000. And that was when he was slowing down in Tow/Haul mode.

I am honest-to-goodness impressed with this engine. If I was searching for a later model truck, I wouldn't even bother looking for a 5.0 - this engine would suit my needs perfectly.

Yes, it will hold 4K RPM with a good trailer load uphill but it not only pulls it, it will accelerate while doing it. My FX4 has 3.73 gears and gobs of low end torque. This truck has major nanny controls on it. I wish I could experience this thing full tilt with no nannies dialing back my timing on the low end. The intake, exhaust and tune woke this thing up big time. The factory tune runs it lean below 3K and above 3K enriches it up a touch. You can feel a noticeable bump in power at 3K, presumably from an enriched mixture and cam timing kicking in.

I had two F-150 Supercrew rentals courtesy of Honda's airbag recall.
First one was a 3.5 Eco 4x4.Bloody hot rod until it decided to have
no throttle input 80 miles north of Houston driving from Chicago.
Then I was given an 3.5 n/a but no 4x4.It was fine in city and highway
driving.I would take that over an Eco boost because of less complication.

Sounds like you have a decent truck now, maybe would consider waiting for the newer F150s to come out. Check out all the new engine upgrades for 2018, they are all getting way more betterer.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Sounds like you have a decent truck now, maybe would consider waiting for the newer F150s to come out. Check out all the new engine upgrades for 2018, they are all getting way more betterer.

The new trucks are all coming standard with start/stop technology. No thank you.

I honestly don't get the hate for the start stop system. I've owned my 16 F150 with the 2.7 for 7 months now, and one of the things I like about the truck is the start stop system. I've driven several other vehicles with this technology, and this is honestly the easiest one to manipulate to do what you want. In the dead of winter, I find myself being annoyed that the truck doesn't shut off nearly as much at stoplights due to the current cold. You really do start to realize how much fuel is wasted just sitting and waiting at lights.

With fuel economy standards doing what they are, you better get used to it - the lower hanging fruit is gone, and solutions like this will find their way into a lot more platforms.

In regards to the 3.5NA, it has similar power to what my late 90's trucks with the 4.6 V8 had in them. I found those trucks to be perfectly fine for doing what needed to be done, and doubt I'd feel any different today. If you told me 4 years ago I'd be driving a fullsize truck with half the displacement of my '04 5.4, I'd have said no way... How the times change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back