2016 F-150 Lariat Transmission Acceleration Jerk & Brief Shut Down

Need help ASAP as the frequency of this issue is increasing daily. I have a 2016 Ford F150 Lariat 8 cylinder with 117k miles and recently in the past couple months into today, my truck is doing some "jerk/hesitation" when driving on the road. When I let off the pedal and coast for a bit then accelerate normally, I get a "jerk". The jerk is happening more and more with today almost after every light change. Some other times infrequently, my truck will briefly drop all power like the engine shuts off mid acceleration so I have to let off the pedal and repress again to return accelerating then the wrench light will come on very briefly but that part only has happened 1-2 times though in the midst of this.

I get my regular maintenance and honestly Im still working remotely so I mostly only drive to take and pick up the littles then back home. No codes comes up on my Ancel Code Reader either. Any ideas? I see on google that this is a frequent thing that happen with F-150 whether low or high mileage on the odometer

Do you have the 6R-80 transmission(I think you do) ? If so, they are known for delayed shifts and hard bangs. Often feeling like being hit from the rear.

What happens is an electronic OR mechanical delay in the shift, and subsequent witholding of power by the ECU. It is fairly common if one lifts throttle, then gets on it again. Such as a U turn.

Look on YouTube for procedures to reset the TCU. Then go through the transmission re-learn procedure.

Another worthwhile task is to change the transmission fluid (if not done recently) with the OEM fluid (not aftermarket) which I believe is Mercon LV.

Reactions: wtd
I did just now. Thx for this and I had my spark plugs replaced last August/September. I had 8 Denzo Iridiums put in. So I need to see if I too have a leaky cover gasket and if there is oil in the plug areas.
Doing a relearn might help as well. I don't know if leaving the battery unplugged overnight does clear the adaptation on the 6r80 but i guess it doesn't hurt to do it now. Wrench a terminal off.

Do you have the 6R-80 transmission(I think you do) ? If so, they are known for delayed shifts and hard bangs. Often feeling like being hit from the rear.

What happens is an electronic OR mechanical delay in the shift, and subsequent witholding of power by the ECU. It is fairly common if one lifts throttle, then gets on it again. Such as a U turn.

Look on YouTube for procedures to reset the TCU. Then go through the transmission re-learn procedure.

Another worthwhile task is to change the transmission fluid (if not done recently) with the OEM fluid (not aftermarket) which I believe is Mercon LV.

Doing a relearn might help as well. I don't know if leaving the battery unplugged overnight does clear the adaptation on the 6r80 but i guess it doesn't hurt to do it now. Wrench a terminal off.
That’s the exact feeling like I have been rear ended. I am noting both of these suggestions for tomorrow with my mechanic who does house calls. I’ll keep you updated with your suggestions as well as the one above with the possible leaky gasket and such.

Last edited:
I doubt it is your transmission. Willing to bet your fuel pump is dying. Any of those littles shove dirt down the filler tube?🧐
I had the exact same issue. Intermittent but worse over time. Finally figured it out it was a fuel supply issue by watching the fuel trim and o2 sensors. (Would just zero out early on) problem with fuel pressure gauge is that you will get a good reading while idling but it has to be under load. My kids had shoved sand and dirt in it🤦‍♂️ pictures of dirt in bottom of tank and plugged fuel pump filter.

Not saying this is it, just a possible diagnosis.

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

I doubt it is your transmission. Willing to bet your fuel pump is dying.

Interesting suggestion. The crazy thing about troubleshooting such problems is that there can be a completely unrelated cause.

I still think a two step plan is in order.

1) Change fluid, using Mercon LV (from OEM)
2) Clear TCM correctly (might require a trip to a shop), and perform the learning procedure correctly.

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine and transmission computers for codes. The check engine light is on only when an emissions related code is present.

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine and transmission computers for codes. The check engine light is on only when an emissions related code is present.
He says in Post #1 no codes.

The next step is live data and misfire counts.

Then I'd consider transmission. Does the 6R80 have a full manual mode?

His Ancel code reader probably only accesses the ECM and not any of the other modules on the truck. I would get a better scanner hooked up to it to see if there are codes in the TCM or other modules.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Back