2015 WRX DI Castrol Edge 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It has been awhile since I had a uoa done on my engine oil. In the last year I switched from Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 to Castrol Edge 5W40. I also held off because I installed an oil cooler.

The car is now seeing regular track time, and it starting to see some oil brief oil starvation depending on the track surface and elevation changes. I figured it would be a good time to send out a sample to establish a base line.

Ignore the sample time, they added a zero in there. It only has just over 1000 miles and two full track events. Roughly 2+ hours on track seeing oil temps in the 230-240F range. Car also runs E85 while at the track.

Everything to me is solid. However I see some shearing. I believe this oil starts at car 14.5. it has sheared to 12.0 in only 1000 miles. I'm also surprised by the lack of Moly.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

UOA:

[Linked Image]

Spreadsheet tracking all UOAs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...sLH46QL80vKxc0UpB1Mv0c/edit?usp=drivesdk

Miles on that oil is just over 1000. Miles on engine almost 69000. Very little oil usage. She burns a tiny amount at the track but I overfill it slightly. I would guess 1/8 of the dip stick full to low. When no tracking, she might burn that same amount over 4000 miles.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on oil. It seemed good and cheap. I got cases in the garage. When I finish it I'll look for something else.

oil is cheaper than engines! in warmer climates higher viscosity with less spread of # being better + of course higher temps from track days can take its tool on oils as unseen damage can be done!! check out savagegeese.com's vid on oil the fine print, a real eye opener!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back