2015 Nissan Altima Amsoil XL 0W20 8,272 miles

First report on wife’s 2015 Nissan Altima SV. Oil was in use from 8-16-21 to 6-17-22. Oil filter was a yellow can Purolator PL14610 (have several left overs from my sportbike I no longer have). Filter had 16,703 miles on it, filter sent to 53 Stude to cut open and paste.

Refilled with QS 5W30 synthetic and my last PL14610. I may just stick with the Amsoil xl 0w20 for her

Attachments

• 9DE63C78-762D-40A7-BCA1-CB9E3DF44F06.jpeg
    9DE63C78-762D-40A7-BCA1-CB9E3DF44F06.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
I look forward to seeing the filter autopsy. That's quite a run on a yellow can Purolator.

Yes indeed good UOA, thanks for sharing. (y)
I have the same vehicle/year/engine/~80,000 miles.
I will be doing 2 UOAs with the first one coming around Autumn timeframe.

You can’t infer actual wear from a UOA, but it certainly shows the XL easily deals with your wife’s driving habits and that engine. While TBN doesn’t decline linearly, I certainly wouldn’t be scared to run the next fill of XL out to 12k before a retest, as long as your air filter is clean and your oil filter is new. Thanks for the UOA!

You can’t infer actual wear from a UOA ...
Yes- you can. I'm going to nit-pick here in your choice of words.

UOAs do not show all wear; that is true, because they cannot see wear particles larger than 5um. But the UOA will show a very accurate level of small wear metal particles, and than can, in turn, imply the loading of larger particles, because multiple SAE filter studies have shown a very good correlation between the overall particle loading and the UOA results. If there is a good wear signature in the UOA, (directly showing low ppm counts in small particle sizes), then the PCs echo this in the lack of heavy particle loading in larger sizes. This effect has been confirmed in more than one SAE filter study. UOAs can tell you composition, but not size. PCs tell you size, but not composition. But together, they can compliment each other with implied logic. My point is that you can we cannot infer "actual wear" from a UOA; that's just not true. We can take the inference from the level ppm of seen particles, which in turn implies the level of loading in larger particles.

Further, UOAs have also shown good correlation to other means of measuring wear, such as electron bombardment weight analysis. Same generall effects are present; low ppm in a spectral analysis is echo'd in the calculated mass change of EB measurements, as also seen in SAE studies.

So, yes, UOAs are a good representation of the overall wear. They are not perfect, but they are a very cost effective means to get a good idea of wear.

This UOA shows good wear, low contamination, and strong TBN retention.
If the QS UOA comes back good also, I'd say 10k miles is a no brainer OCI.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. I originally bought the XL for my accord but after a UOA came back on the 5w20 supertech and it was a 16 grade after 6K miles I bumped up to 5w30 (recommendation from others on here as well) and decided to use it in her car to see how it held up.

I’m pleased with the results shown. I wasn’t sure how it would hold up so I changed it out, I could have left it in longer for the magical 10K (or 1year) but I wanted to see how it held up

Yes indeed good UOA, thanks for sharing. (y)
I have the same vehicle/year/engine/~80,000 miles.
I will be doing 2 UOAs with the first one coming around Autumn timeframe.
It’s been a good vehicle for her. Doesn’t use a drop of oil so far, decent gas mileage. I did a 3X drain and fill with Castrol cvt fluid around the 50-52K mile mark, and did a single d/r with Castrol cvt fluid a few days before the oil change but didn’t send in a sample.

I will be sticking with 25Kish drain and refill intervals for her cvt

I’ve done two CVT D&Fs thus far and will stay with ~ 30k mile maintenance intervals.
Maybe on the next service I will change out the filter(s).

First report on wife’s 2015 Nissan Altima SV. Oil was in use from 8-16-21 to 6-17-22. Oil filter was a yellow can Purolator PL14610 (have several left overs from my sportbike I no longer have). Filter had 16,703 miles on it, filter sent to 53 Stude to cut open and paste.

Refilled with QS 5W30 synthetic and my last PL14610. I may just stick with the Amsoil xl 0w20 for her

Thanks for posting this UOA!

After further review, I have no issues with running Valvoline ME or EP for one year or 8,500k in my 2014 Altima SL 2.5L with 112k miles.

Thanks for posting this UOA!

After further review, I have no issues with running Valvoline ME or EP for one year or 8,500k in my 2014 Altima SL 2.5L with 112k miles.
I would think any name brand synthetic would be able to do a year short of a lot of excess idling and short trips like crazy.

I’ve always wanted to try QS and refilled her car with it. I probably should have done the 5w20 for comparisons sake but the w30 is in their now so…

Back