2015 Ford Fusion, 2.0L Ecoboost, 6k+ mile OCI, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

The reason this OCI was longer than my normal(ly OCD) 5k miles was because I was more or less right up on the 5k mile mark when I left for my trip to TOTD; I had briefly contemplated changing the oil before the trip, but I wanted to see what a run to and from the Dragon would do to the oil, plus previous reports have indicated that I could push it a bit. I had also made an executive decision to run 6 quarts of oil in the car from now on, since that amount of oil gets to the full mark on the dipstick, whereas Ford's stated oil capacity of 5.7 quarts does not; make of that what you will.

The overheat event mentioned in the report occurred while I was on the Dragon; I had been driving somewhat aggressively, using the SelectShift mode (the car is automatic), with the A/C on, and I'm guessing the airflow through the radiator simply wasn't enough to satisfy the car's cooling needs at that specific time; that or the mild witches brew of coolant in the cooling system (a mixture of Ford's orange and yellow coolants, a result of a drain-and-fill I performed before leaving on the trip) wasn't up to the task of removing that much heat from both the engine AND the trans. I immediately pulled over (luckily I was coming up on a pull-off), shut off the A/C, popped the hood, and let it idle; the temperature immediately came back down. I'd like to think it was a result of the aforementioned coolant drain-and-fill, rather than a design flaw/oversight on Ford's part, otherwise I doubt they would've put the manual shift mode on the trans in the first place. I've been monitoring the coolant surge tank ever since and I have not seen any evidence that internal damage occurred (such as oil in the coolant), a belief backed up by these results.

As far as the oil consumption issue I've noted in the past is concerned, I'm still at something of a loss to explain it, especially since I checked the oil before I left the Dragon for home, and well as right after I got home, and the level was the same (low, but the same). I'm thinking it's just the PCV system, something I'll have to service soon.

Attachments

• blackstonereport_6.jpg
    blackstonereport_6.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 362
Looks like you got a new oci (6). Looks good. Do you know at what point in the oci the oil level started to drop?

Last edited:
What were your prior fills, same pp 5w30?
Yeah. I worked at a chain that used Pennzoil products, so I got a nice discount on oil changes. This was my last use of the regular Pennzoil Platinum, though. I switched to the Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for the current OCI; I wanted to see if it would be more resistant to the fuel dilution.

For what it is worth, I remember reading a Consumer Reports from the 1980's and they were complaining about a Mercedes they had tested had consumed oil. M-B responded that the acceleration and performance testing the magazine did accounted for the burned oil. M-B stated that a properly designed engine will consume oil when pushed to the limits. The magazine reported that after they topped it off and resumed normal driving testing, the Mercedes did not burn any more oil and did not need any more oil added in regular driving.

It's somewhat common for turbocharged (and some NA) vehicles to show heat management issues when driven beyond their intended duty cycle. I don't think autocross and Deals Gap runs are what Ford had in mind when they built the Fusion. Do you know what your oil temps were?
This isn't to discourage you from enjoying this type of driving (I actually very much encourage it) but you may want to look into an inexpensive way to monitor coolant, engine oil, and trans oil temps. This way you can set limits or alarms for yourself when certain values are reached. I was able to get through a couple years of autocross and HPDE with just a scan gauge, and had no issues along with clean UOA's.
Best of luck, and enjoy the car!

Back