2015 Ford Edge brake decision

Tsmith967

Changed the oil on my wife’s 2015 edge and the rear brakes are really close to needing replaced. Of course with having our first child I can’t in my mind just jump to Napa and buy their kit and call it a day because my mind would just run rampant… thanks anxiety!

So I have it down to four options from reading on here minus the Napa. We are in Alabama and travel a lot to Florida so no issues of rust, but if a coated rotor is what is needed for “premium” so be it. I just want them to be safe.

Leaning towards the Raybestos for the braking feel I’ve read about on here, but any suggestions here would be amazing.

Napa silentguard and premium rotors
Wagner oex pads and matching rotor
Akebono ProAct (not sure of rotor here)
Raybestos element 3 pads and rotors.

Changed the oil on my wife’s 2015 edge and the rear brakes are really close to needing replaced. Of course with having our first child I can’t in my mind just jump to Napa and buy their kit and call it a day because my mind would just run rampant… thanks anxiety!

So I have it down to four options from reading on here minus the Napa. We are in Alabama and travel a lot to Florida so no issues of rust, but if a coated rotor is what is needed for “premium” so be it. I just want them to be safe.

Leaning towards the Raybestos for the braking feel I’ve read about on here, but any suggestions here would be amazing.

Also look into PowerStop they have some pretty good pads also

Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors are high quality, easily sourced, and are reasonably priced. They will serve you well.

I don’t really know why it’s so, but up here in the rust belt, 1 year for uncoated rotors, 2-3 for coated. I tried both. The rotors get pitted from rust and you get pulsing. OEM rotors last 6-7 years for me or about 80,000 mi. Bad metallurgy?

Why rotors? Have you checked their thickness and runout? The Edge's solid rears are rather beefy...something like 11.1mm new and not considered trash until they are down to 9.5mm. Is replacement necessary? If not, grab some PowerStop Z16 or Z17 pads.

Why rotors? Have you checked their thickness and runout? The Edge's solid rears are rather beefy...something like 11.1mm new and not considered trash until they are down to 9.5mm. Is replacement necessary? If not, grab some PowerStop Z16 or Z17 pads.
Just peace of mind. Almost no one in this town turns anymore and I really dont want to just pad slap.

We are in Alabama and travel a lot to Florida so no issues of rust, but if a coated rotor is what is needed for “premium” so be it. I just want them to be safe.
Coating has nothing to do with safety. It's a cosmetic issue.
Just peace of mind. Almost no one in this town turns anymore and I really dont want to just pad slap.
Assuming yours are the original rotors, I'd rather have those than the new Chinese rotors. And if you have no pedal pulsation or noise, there is nothing wrong with a pad slap. You can clean up the rotors with a proper sanding disc to break in the pads correctly.

Wife is having a baby, you don't want to be on your back doing a brake job?

Most shops will resurface the rotor and install new pads for a song.
I dont care about doing the brakes, I just want to buy the best for the car. Honestly a local dealer has a special for 179.99 for motorcraft pads and turning the rotors, but how often do they actually turn vs just saying they are bad....

I dont care about doing the brakes, I just want to buy the best for the car. Honestly a local dealer has a special for 179.99 for motorcraft pads and turning the rotors, but how often do they actually turn vs just saying they are bad....
Rears can be tough to turn. There isn't much of a window between the new and discard thickness to begin with. Measure the rotors now and see how the thickness compares to the new thickness. You need to subtract that number from your current thickness, subtract at least 0.5mm for material removed during machining and hope you're not past discard. And if you use different pads than what you are using now, those may wear the rotors more/less.

I thought from the original post that you were going to DIY, after listing some options.

Back