2015 F150, which coolant from my stash?

2015 F150 5.0 150k

Considering preventative replacement of (unknown age/miles so assuming factory original) pump, belts, tensioners and Status before the heat of summer.

I have a 5 gallons of HD coolant stashed left over from my 7.3 Excursion. I'd prefer to use it up if no ill effects in this application.

Also have some regular AF but I was hoping to either return it to Walmart or save it for my 2016 Honda Odyssey if the Odyssey cannot use the HD coolant.

I like and understand oil compatibility discussions but the infinite compatibility concerns with all the flavors, colors and chemical make ups of coolant make my eyes glaze over. I have tried, it just doesn't sink in.

See pics and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 20210426_153611.jpg
    20210426_153611.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210426_153603.jpg
    20210426_153603.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210426_153545.jpg
    20210426_153545.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 22
Oil is compatible, coolants not necessarily so. My 2015 Ford F150 came with a Dexcool type of coolant. Read the label on the Fleetguard and the Prestone Corguard .

So, no to fleet charged? That's what I have 5 gallons of. Any particular reason? I honestly don't know. I would flush for 30 mins with water, then flush with distilled water and finally put in coolant.

So, no to fleet charged? That's what I have 5 gallons of. Any particular reason? I honestly don't know. I would flush for 30 mins with water, then flush with distilled water and finally put in coolant.
fleet charged is a low silicate/phosphate + SCA (high nitrite + molybdate) coolant. it is very different from modern HD and passenger car coolants

rotella ELC NF is advertised for mixed fleets and has no SCAs. i had a lot of this stuff at work and used it in my cars that call for dexcool.

Last edited:
I read all the bottles. Read an article on irontite com. I agree with your assesments.

I think I'm gonna donate the fleet charge SCA precharged stuff to the local diesel repair shop. Maybe they can use it in older apps. Final count was 6 unopened gallon jugs. Hate to lose the money but I guess I'll never need them.

Now, how to convince them to reverse donate 2-3 gallons of bulk ELC into some empty water jugs I just happen to have with me....

Last edited:
I would say go with the Peak Long Life as it's essentially Dex-cool dyed a different color. The Prestone is also a good choice as it's the successor to the Dex-cool used in your 2015 F150. I wouldn't worry about the color not matching since both Peak LL and Prestone are dyed a neutral color that won't change the Dex-cool orange when mixed with it.

Back