2014 Tundra 4x4 - Road Force Balancing Helped

This is more of a documentary post that hopefully will help others.

I have a 2014 Tundra, 4x4 with 117k miles. I'm on the 3rd set of tires. First OE set (BFG AT type tires, NOT AT KOs) were severely mis-worn at 55k miles. I attribute that to my lack of maintenance (rotate/balance). I replaced them with Toyo Open Country AT-2. These were not cheap tires. Pricing at the time was about $312/tire. I bought them at a chain store that was running a local promotion, something like 4 for price of 3. I had the rotate/balance performed more regularly but I failed to pick up on the shop I was using for that and alignment that the alignment wasn't being done properly or at all. Poor alignment ended up chewing these tires up. I replaced these at 100k miles with a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S, my 25+ year standby for light truck/SUV tires. Ahhh. Back to a great ride.

Fast forward 12k miles and the ride is horrible. I went and had a R/B done at the chain tire store and the ride was better for 3-4 days. Went back 2 weeks later and "the tires were out of balance." It still wasn't good. I went to my go-to mechanic and he balanced them. Tires were not balanced. It felt better, but not cured. So in a period of a month, I had been to have them balanced 3 separate times and they still weren't fixed.

I decided to try a small tire shop near my house. I go in and explain everything to them. There is an older fella and a young (20-21?) kid with me. They go out and look the truck over. The kid (his grandson) takes it and starts going through it. He road force balances the wheels/tires. None met his level of desired spec before. He got them to passenger car range and my truck feels like it's new.

I told them they've earned a customer for life.

So if you are having trouble with vibrations and have gone through the ordeal of balancing after balancing, find a shop that will really investigate it.

I went through a similar ordeal where multiple regular & RF balances couldn't fix a shimmy. Ended up going to a local race shop and told them my sob story. The owner RF balanced in front of me and it turned out each tire needed to be broken down and remounted to new positions. Car rode smooth as glass afterward. The guy said many shops fail to use the RF machine properly. Moral of the story: Tire balancing is only as good as the tech doing it.

Absolutely, Mclasser. The young boy doing all this work even said that he's had to re-mount tires before, move them around on the wheel. It really takes someone with experience as well as someone who has absorbed info, such as these stories and stored it in their noggin for a later date.

Originally Posted by thooks
This is more of a documentary post that hopefully will help others.

I have a 2014 Tundra, 4x4 with 117k miles. I'm on the 3rd set of tires. First OE set (BFG AT type tires, NOT AT KOs) were severely mis-worn at 55k miles. I attribute that to my lack of maintenance (rotate/balance). I replaced them with Toyo Open Country AT-2. These were not cheap tires. Pricing at the time was about $312/tire. I bought them at a chain store that was running a local promotion, something like 4 for price of 3. I had the rotate/balance performed more regularly but I failed to pick up on the shop I was using for that and alignment that the alignment wasn't being done properly or at all. Poor alignment ended up chewing these tires up. I replaced these at 100k miles with a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S, my 25+ year standby for light truck/SUV tires. Ahhh. Back to a great ride.

Fast forward 12k miles and the ride is horrible. I went and had a R/B done at the chain tire store and the ride was better for 3-4 days. Went back 2 weeks later and "the tires were out of balance." It still wasn't good. I went to my go-to mechanic and he balanced them. Tires were not balanced. It felt better, but not cured. So in a period of a month, I had been to have them balanced 3 separate times and they still weren't fixed.

I decided to try a small tire shop near my house. I go in and explain everything to them. There is an older fella and a young (20-21?) kid with me. They go out and look the truck over. The kid (his grandson) takes it and starts going through it. He road force balances the wheels/tires. None met his level of desired spec before. He got them to passenger car range and my truck feels like it's new.

I told them they've earned a customer for life.

So if you are having trouble with vibrations and have gone through the ordeal of balancing after balancing, find a shop that will really investigate it.

Does the vehicle have the original suspension?

Originally Posted by CKN

Does the vehicle have the original suspension?

I replaced the OEM Struts/Shocks about 50k miles ago with Bilstein 5100 struts and shocks. These ARE Toyota OEM struts/shocks for TRD Pro models. I did place the clip on the struts in the middle ring to raise the front of the truck up about 1-1/2". Standard shocks in the rear.

That's all the modification that has been done to the suspension.

Back