2014 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking hard about buying a new Tundra 4x4. Double Cab with the 5.7L v8. Drove it the other day. Nice truck. Awesome power. It seems like these are great trucks with the only gripe about the fuel mileage. Very good deals to be had right now on these. Currently drive a 2009 GMC sierra crew cab 4x4 btw. Would love to hear some comments on this truck if you have the time. Thx.

I'm sure it'll be reliable, but not sure what you'd gain out of it over your current truck other than the satisfaction of having a brand new truck and a car payment for longer (unless you're paying cash)

Also watch this video on the Tundra

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodge has a little better interior, but I never been a Dodge fan, and I know Toyota's last. Look at how the Tundra was built, it was built to last..

Did I mention Toyota trucks are made in Texas?

I really prefer the Tacoma over the Tundra, I don't need a big truck, and even with the Tundra's new styling, I still think the outdated Tacoma looks better.

I've helped a few friends do oil changes on their Tundras (2012 4.6L (Silverado Guy), 2012 4.6 Crew (Dakota), & 2013 5.7 (F150)) and they love em. They all came from domestic brands and bought a Toyota for a variety of reasons. The interiors are nicer on a lot of the new domestics, but my friends didn't want to spend $50k+ on a new super fancy pickup.

As for the frame, the tundra has a combination frame just like the Ford Super Duty's

. Crawling underneath one of these things gives you a really good idea of how they really beefed up things everywhere.

Fuel Econ: in the real world they are all about the same at about 13+/- depending on style. The 4.6 guys average 16 around town and up to 19.5 on the highway.

Hope this helps
wink.gif

P.S. According to a recent study, the Tundra is more American than the Silverado
whistle.gif
yes, I just went there
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2011 Tundra Double Cab 4wd, with the 5.7L engine and tow package. I love the truck...the gas mileage is not that bad considering it is a 5,600 lb 4wd truck with almost 400 HP. I compared all the full size trucks before I bought mine. I liked the F150 and almost bought one...however I liked the power train on the Tundra better.

Oil changes can be a little pricey as it does have an 8 quart oil sump.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
I've helped a few friends do oil changes on their Tundras (2012 4.6L (Silverado Guy), 2012 4.6 Crew (Dakota), & 2013 5.7 (F150)) and they love em. They all came from domestic brands and bought a Toyota for a variety of reasons. The interiors are nicer on a lot of the new domestics, but my friends didn't want to spend $50k+ on a new super fancy pickup.

As for the frame, the tundra has a combination frame just like the Ford Super Duty's Crawling underneath one of these things gives you a really good idea of how they really beefed up things everywhere.

Fuel Econ: in the real world they are all about the same at about 13+/- depending on style. The 4.6 guys average 16 around town and up to 19.5 on the highway.

Hope this helps
wink.gif

P.S. According to a recent study, the Tundra is more American than the Silverado
whistle.gif
yes, I just went there
grin.gif

Tundra is more American that F-150, too. Does the Tundra still require the timing belt change? That's a significant cost down the road that most truck owners aren't used to paying. The mileage as described is not that great. I know Ford does better and Dodge definitely does.

Sure it's tough. But then so are they all. I love my F-150, but if I were shopping now, I'd give Dodge a hard look. Money talks.

Actually fuel economy is considerably worse than the competition and the price is a couple of thousand bucks more. Not too many regret their purchase, though. It IS a Toyota after all.

Tundra is more American that F-150, too. Does the Tundra still require the timing belt change? That's a significant cost down the road that most truck owners aren't used to paying. The mileage as described is not that great. I know Ford does better and Dodge definitely does.

Sure it's tough. But then so are they all. I love my F-150, but if I were shopping now, I'd give Dodge a hard look. You save a couple thousand bucks on the initial purchase price and the truck gets considerably better gas mileage comparably equipped. Money talks.

All Toyota engines are timing chain types for the last few years. The Toyota 4.6 & 5.7 are very high quality. I own the 4.0 tacoma & have worked for Toyota for 16 years & can say the reliability of the trucks is excellent.

I would look at an F150 since the new aluminum one is coming out you may be able to get a good deal on the 2014

I have had the 4.6 reg cab for the past few yrs. It's a beast. 96k and not a stitch of a problem. I came from GMC and the Tundra is light yrs ahead.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would look at an F150 since the new aluminum one is coming out you may be able to get a good deal on the 2014

+1
Or wait for the actual new one, can't wait to see one!
A lot of money and effort has been put into the new model and I'd expect it to be brilliant

From what I hear at the water cooler, the reAl mpg of these trucks hovers between 13-16mpg depending on your right foot. Even the eco boost v6 drinks like the v8 (acc to consumer 'reports) . Bottom line: they are big b'day heavy

I see the Toyota ads where they claim the Tundra is over built. If true, are parts like brakes, shocks, etc more expensive? Being over built, I assume it's heavier, and you're going to pay for that weight every day. If it was me, I'd be happier with a truck built more to what I intend to use it for.

With all this talk about heavier built, come on, it's a 1/2 ton grocery getter light duty truck. If people need a "heavy duty" truck, then they need a 3/4 ton and larger.
I don't see to many 1/2 tons of any flavor bending frames... Do you?

OP, you should post in brand specific forums on what you are interested in, because everybody thinks their own truck is the best. After all, they don't want to admit they wasted $35k+ on a POS.....

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Does the Tundra still require the timing belt change?

The short answer is no.

The only Tundra with a timing belt is one with a UZ-series engine (the 4.7L as installed in the Tundra). 2009 was the last model year where you could order a 4.7L V-8. Since 2010, the engine choices are a 4.0L GR-series V-6, a 4.6L UR-series V-8, and a 5.7L UR-series V-8. All of these have timing chains.

Can't speak to the 2014 Tundra but we did have a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7l V8. The engine was rock solid after ten years and 92K miles. Now there were some non-engine related issues, mainly the under-sized calipers and brake pads, that had to be corrected, but it was a pleasure to own and drive. Except for the before mentioned caliper/pad issue, it was a problem free vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back