2014 Subaru Crosstek Oil & Filter Recommendations & Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
Says a 0W-20 synthetic, with a 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil as an alternative.

That's another one of those manual gems. I haven't seen any 5w-40 conventionals.
wink.gif

A quick search shows me that Motul 6100 5w40 is not synthetic and Neither is rotella t6 excepting the U.S. where "synthetic" is a marketing term. Groups II and II are pretty much "conventional" these days I suppose.

My wifes car ( 2015 forester) has a rod or wristpin knock like a wood pecker running 0w20 when hot - beware!
That's two in a row FB25 knocking.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Says a 0W-20 synthetic, with a 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil as an alternative.

That's another one of those manual gems. I haven't seen any 5w-40 conventionals.
wink.gif

Apparently Subaru thinks there are 5w-40 conventional oils out there because that is exactly how they state it in their manual...

I'm still puzzled at why they'd recommend a 5w-40 if a 0w-20 wasn't available. Seems like a bit of a jump when there are perfectly good 5w-20 conventional oils available.

Last edited:
I've seen some other similarly strange notions posted, too, in manuals. In any case, I suppose they'd recommend a 5w-40 if a 0w-20 isn't available as a kind of backhanded way of allowing other viscosities. The average 5w-40 out there, particularly if a CJ-4/SM, E7, E9 is going to be a fairly stout lube, at least.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

Apparently Subaru thinks there are 5w-40 conventional oils out there because that is exactly how they state it in their manual...

I'm still puzzled at why they'd recommend a 5w-40 if a 0w-20 wasn't available. Seems like a bit of a jump when there are perfectly good 5w-20 conventional oils available.

Yet another clue that viscosity means very little aside from fuel economy.
smile.gif

The X7055 is certainly the way to go in my 2014 Outback 2.5, especially when the WIX/Napa is available as a N/C option in an oil change special deal.

5 qts. of almost ANY 0W-20 + a X7055 in the $22 range is quite the deal, IMHO.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
A quick search shows me that Motul 6100 5w40 is not synthetic and Neither is rotella t6 excepting the U.S. where "synthetic" is a marketing term. Groups II and II are pretty much "conventional" these days I suppose.

My wifes car ( 2015 forester) has a rod or wristpin knock like a wood pecker running 0w20 when hot - beware!
That's two in a row FB25 knocking.

Can you get it to do that at the Stealership? An ipso facto extended warranty if you can document it... And I certainly would get it down in writing ASAP!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back