2014 Subaru Crosstek Oil & Filter Recommendations & Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Group,
I got rid of the old Jeep due to transmission problems.

I bought a new '14 Subaru XV Crosstek. Just got my last free OC at the dealer.

Manufacturer recommended OCI is 7500 & oil is 0w-20
Engine is the 2.0 normally aspirated version.
Current mileage is just under 24k.
Most driving is hwy.

Any recommendations on oil and filters?

Any excessive oil consumption? Subarus sometimes use too much oil.
Go by the OLM, not miles.
Use Fram Ultra oil filter.
Mobil1 0w-20 EP from WallyMart

Last edited:
There is no OLM, IIRC.
I would use Supertech Syn WPp 5w20 or Valvoline 0w20. Ive had over 8 subarus and 2 FB engines. The Valvoline ran better than the other top 2 M1 0w20

Edge gold bottle is very VERY good too but $$$$$$$$ unless not on giveaway sale.

Filters?
OE: Fram-a-baru or My Boss recommends: oc1177 MAHLE

MAHLE OIL FILTER

There is no OLM. 7,500 miles is fine, just watch for consumption.

Your owner's manual requires 0w-20 API SN. Pick a brand that you like. I've been using NAPA's 0w-20 when it goes on sale.

I've been using Wix filters on mine for its life thus far. All is well. OEM Subaru or Fram Ultras are fine too.

Any name brand full-synthetic 0W20 will be fine for 7500 miles. Oil filter: Wix, NAPA Gold, Fram TG or XG.

Pep Boys has Fram Ultra at around $10/ea, they have 25% discount code(25PEP50) for $50 purchases, this code will bring down the price to $7.50 which is pretty good for 1 of the best full-synthetic oil filter.

I could not remember what API the book called for and I have misplaced it or the wifey may have moved it.
smile.gif

The service guy who is a motor buff, says they recommend 5-6 OCIs. He has a STI and he says he uses Motul 8100 oil. Thoughts?

For the oil filter, use Mahle OC1177. There's also the Wix 57055 (Napa 7055), but it's made in Mexico. The Mahle is made in Austria. Fram and Purolator use a more-or-less generic filter with a much lower bypass than OE. Wix and Mahle use the correct spec.

For the oil, use Magnatec 0w20, or the cheapest full syn you can find on sale. AAP and Carquest have the Havoline syn sale, $20, and you get individual quart bottles.

Originally Posted By: mikeintx
I could not remember what API the book called for and I have misplaced it or the wifey may have moved it.
smile.gif

The service guy who is a motor buff, says they recommend 5-6 OCIs. He has a STI and he says he uses Motul 8100 oil. Thoughts?

7,500 is normal service.

Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 is API SM. I believe Subaru requires SN, if that matters to you.

This motor is nothing special. Use whatever 0w-20 API SN you prefer. Combine it with a Subaru, Wix, NAPA Gold, or Fram Ultra filter and run it for 7,500 miles.

You can download and view the owner's manual on Subaru's website.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
smile.gif

7,500 is normal service.

Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0W-20 is API SM. I believe Subaru requires SN, if that matters to you.

This motor is nothing special. Use whatever 0w-20 API SN you prefer. Combine it with a Subaru, Wix, NAPA Gold, or Fram Ultra filter and run it for 7,500 miles.

You can download and view the owner's manual on Subaru's website.

I have it just got to find it!

I find it interesting that Subaru allows for conventional but then recommends 5w-30 and 5w-40 when 5w-20 would be closer to the "optimal" 0w-20 Synthetic.

As long as you aren't consuming oil and since your mostly hwy miles then just about any 0w-20 would work. Magnatec is probably the best deal running for a 0w-20. Filter wise I'd use one with the correct bypass valve PSI. AFAIK, other than OEM filters the only other ones with correct bypass valves are Wix (and Wix made such as Microguard, Napa, etc.).

Anybody know what the correct bypass valve pressure is for sure?

I see it was 23 on one and then 23.2 on the latest Honeywell made for Subaru. Seems odd the Fram aftermarkets are no where near that...Ultra and Tough are at 13 psi

Wix 57055 for it is at 27 psi...

What gives with the differences?

I see it was 23 on one and then 23.2 on the latest Honeywell made for Subaru. Seems odd the Fram aftermarkets are no where near that...Ultra and Tough are at 13 psi

There is no such thing as "correct" bypass pressure. This is an internet invented problem and shows how ignorant these internet armchair engineers are that they do not understand even the basics of an oil filter. When a filter manufacturer recommends a filter model they have done the research for you, not some stupid spec sheet lookup and compare that the Subie forums consider as gospel to choose the best filter. Bypass pressure is a function of the media flow characteristics. All media is not the same hence you can NOT have the same bypass setting for all filters.

I suggest the Fram Ultra. Step up to the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I find it interesting that Subaru allows for conventional but then recommends 5w-30 and 5w-40 when 5w-20 would be closer to the "optimal" 0w-20 Synthetic.

As long as you aren't consuming oil and since your mostly hwy miles then just about any 0w-20 would work. Magnatec is probably the best deal running for a 0w-20. Filter wise I'd use one with the correct bypass valve PSI. AFAIK, other than OEM filters the only other ones with correct bypass valves are Wix (and Wix made such as Microguard, Napa, etc.).

Yeah, I just read the OM online.
Says a 0W-20 synthetic, with a 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil as an alternative. All SM / SN or GF-4 / GF-5.

A full synthetic 5W-30 wouldn't bother me, but I live in Australia, hot here, almost like Texas over there.

You want the higher bypass spec... most of the "others" with 8-12 or 13psi are really designed around Honda or Toyotas. Subarus move a lot of oil compared to other makes so really anything in the higher range 20+ is ok. The higher the bypass means the filter will not default into bypass with temp/volume difference. Will a lower bypass hurt? Not likely but I will trust Subaru on this one.

I use WIX/Napa 57055... 57055 is branded into my head.

Any 0w20 will do. Napa 0w20 goes on sale fairly often and is a good deal. I use Havoline mostly because it is impossible to find. Otherwise, my pick would be Pennzoil or Quakerstate after that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any name brand full-synthetic 0W20 will be fine for 7500 miles. Oil filter: Wix, NAPA Gold, Fram TG or XG.

Pep Boys has Fram Ultra at around $10/ea, they have 25% discount code(25PEP50) for $50 purchases, this code will bring down the price to $7.50 which is pretty good for 1 of the best full-synthetic oil filter.

Or you could go to Walmart & pay $7-8 all day.

Any of the name brand synthetics would be good for a 7,500 mile OCI. I personally would go with Valvoline SynPower or Castrol Edge Titanium. Pair with a Fram Ultra or Tough Guard.

How can Subaru "move a lot of oil compared to other makes" when the flow is restricted by the bearing clearances and piddle oiling of cams and chains as is any design?
FUJI Oil pump volume spec is an unimpeded flow capability - nothing to do with in-situ flow. I can see the turbo having incrementally more flow to the turbo fan bearings and piston cooing squirters - design amendments not used the OP's 2L NA F-series. BTW this engine series is NOT easy on oil - better than an integrated EX engine head design that are becoming popular but, as "bad" as most multi chain DOHC rocker arm HYD lashed units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back