2014 Nissan Altima

I will add - do transmissions throw pending codes like engine OBD? Maybe someone knows. If so might be worth pulling transmission codes.

I know ABS either has codes or it doesn't - no pending codes, so if you get an ABS code you get an ABS light. Might be same with transmissions - don't know.

I will add - do transmissions throw pending codes like engine OBD? Maybe someone knows. If so might be worth pulling transmission codes.

I know ABS either has codes or it doesn't - no pending codes, so if you get an ABS code you get an ABS light. Might be same with transmissions - don't know.
Good question. If so, I think not all OBD2 readers can read special codes like for the transmission, ABS system, etc. 🤷‍♂️

Good question. If so, I think not all OBD2 readers can read special codes like for the transmission, ABS system, etc. 🤷‍♂️
No, you need one that reads transmission codes. The more expensive 2 way trouble shooting ones do - they will usually specifically call out everything - ie engine, ABS, Transmission, air bag, etc.

So I took a look at my Nissan FSM - and note this is for a 5 speed auto - so CVT might be very different, but at least here it shows some codes set on first sign and some are stored as 2 step - so presumably a pending code might be available for certain things but the manual certainly doesn't spell it out, so maybe, maybe not, or maybe only Nissan Consult can read it. Who knows, Nissan likes to be different? I

One or Two Trip Detection Logic of OBD-II INFOID:0000000003080427

ONE TRIP DETECTION LOGIC
If a malfunction is sensed during the first test drive, the MIL will illuminate and the malfunction will be stored in
the ECM memory as a DTC. The TCM is not provided with such a memory function.

TWO TRIP DETECTION LOGIC
When a malfunction is sensed during the first test drive, it is stored in the ECM memory as a 1st trip DTC
(diagnostic trouble code) or 1st trip freeze frame data. At this point, the MIL will not illuminate. — 1st Trip
If the same malfunction as that experienced during the first test drive is sensed during the second test drive,
the MIL will illuminate. — 2nd Trip
The “Trip” in the “One or Two Trip Detection Logic” means a driving mode in which self-diagnosis is performed
during vehicle operation

Last edited:
No, you need one that reads transmission codes.
Yeah, I said: "think not all OBD2 readers can read special codes". Figured a special higher end code reader would be needed, which I don't have either.

There comes a point where you realize you won't live forever and choosing a car on that criteria doesn't mean that much. Nobody builds a death trap anymore, so even if an Odyssey is the car to least likely to die in, I would be bored to death having to drive one every day.
That's what I initially thought too, but I believe Honda felt bad for all us middle aged dads, and made the Odyssey fun to drive.
Whenever I drive or ride in any other kind of car, I notice a distinct downgrade in fun, refinement, and comfort.
The leather steering wheel and seats are so silky smooth, Navigation screen, DVD screen, 8 passenger, heated seats, 6 disk CD changer, three zone AC system, outside temp on dashboard, nimble handling, etc, make them fun and luxurious to drive.

ZeeOSix,
You can still contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and they can tell you if that vehicle qualifies by the VIN & MY(model year)...if you have an issue. It will have to be inspected for any damage be it rust or otherwise. I mean, if there is NO rot or damage, then there is no need to replace. The car you're looking at may in fact already be past the 120 month extended warranty based on the original date of purchase. The car you're looking at may in fact be perfectly fine. 🤷‍♂️

Nissan Consumer Affairs:
PO Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003

Phone:
1-800-867-7669

Hours of operation:
7am – 8pm (CT) Monday – Friday
7am – 5pm (CT) Saturday

Last edited:
My friend has a 2014 Altima SV with about 114k on it. I've actually borrowed it a few times and worked on minor stuff for her air filter, cabin filter, wipers, etc... seems to run fine and don't think she's had to do anything major on it yet. She drives it very cautiously though so that probably helps things not wearing out as quick.

It is certainly sad that NISSAN can build such a nice driving car in the Altima(I love'em and have had others) and make them with such a terrible CVT in terms of reliability. Not every NISSAN CVT has a failure and many outlast the rest of the car. But, there were/are just too many and this has caused NISSAN to have the bad reputation that they deserve.

My daughter has a 2013 Rogue. The CVT died at about 130K. The car was well kept and I changed the tranny fluid twice. Some last and some don't. It's really the luck of the draw.

It is certainly sad that NISSAN can build such a nice driving car in the Altima(I love'em and have had others) and make them with such a terrible CVT in terms of reliability. Not every NISSAN CVT has a failure and many outlast the rest of the car. But, there were/are just too many and this has caused NISSAN to have the bad reputation that they deserve.
I was thinking the same thing. Doing all this research for a used car, it seems many cars have some kind of "Achilles heel", but a transmission going out is a major one. Any failure that costs $3K or more on a $10K car without a warranty isn't good.

Mazda went the smart route and stayed away from CVT transmissions. Maybe it's back to a Mazda3 or Mazda6 search.

I don't mind CVTs. I just don't think the transmission builders have made them strong enough for more hard acceleration or towing.
My FIL(RIP-1929-2020) always said, "Anything can be made correctly or built to last, it just needs to be done. There are too many bean counters involved".
He always proved them wrong when someone said, "it can't be done"!

Back