2014 Mustang GT info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
If you buy one DO NOT GET A TUNER. Period.
Many of these tuning shops are shutting off or limiting knock sensor sensitivity and the number 8 cylinder gets fried and no warranty.

Old news, the problem is that the Coyote has aggressive spark adders and SCT Advantage had only a tiny % of the PIDs available. Tuners were basically tuning the 5.0s blind and that's why they were popping. Not really an issue anymore if your tuner is better than decent.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Many of these tuning shops are shutting off or limiting knock sensor sensitivity and the number 8 cylinder gets fried and no warranty.

Old news, the problem is that the Coyote has aggressive spark adders and SCT Advantage had only a tiny % of the PIDs available. Tuners were basically tuning the 5.0s blind and that's why they were popping. Not really an issue anymore if your tuner is better than decent.

We had the same issues when the Predator was released for the 6.1 cars. There were some very unhappy folks out there for a while.

There is always a learning curve, and things must be tweaked carefully on an engine that is already aggressively tuned. That's why they call it "tuning"...

I log on for the first time in like a year and find this thread. I actually traded in my 2012 Civic Si for a 2014 GT last week. I had really wanted a Challenger or Mustang in 2012 when I got the Si but cooler heads prevailed. I finally said *%$# on cooler heads and am commuting about 130 miles a day in a V-8.

At first....it felt like I was driving a 1970's Caddy. Not going to lie. But once I got comfortable with the car (and I'm still adjusting) it's shrunken around me (if that makes sense). Not so much lumbering handling but sight lines I guess. I'd forgotten what it was like to look out the windshield and see a hood in front of me. Of course, I had an Eibach ProKit on the Si so I AM readjusting to "normal" handling again. BTW, I got my base GT coupe for $26k. I'm still adjusting to not having all the doo-dads that my "loaded" Civic Si had. The music made by that Coyote V-8 goes a long way...

Oh, and laugh at me, but I paid for the service plan where the change all my oil and do all the maintenance, lol. I figure it gives me a good reason to spend a Saturday morning in the showroom...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
But once I got comfortable with the car (and I'm still adjusting) it's shrunken around me

So, you've put on considerable weight?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But once I got comfortable with the car (and I'm still adjusting) it's shrunken around me

So, you've put on considerable weight?

Well the rear seats are perfect for holding buckets of KFC!

Many of these tuning shops are shutting off or limiting knock sensor sensitivity and the number 8 cylinder gets fried and no warranty. If your going to get it tuned get I'd done by a mustang expert and make sure knock sensor function isn't adjusted.
The 5.0 4v is my dream engine. I'm not too crazy about the car itself but the drivetrain is amazing.

The #8 cylinder hasn't been an issue in a long time. But if warranty is a factor, get an FRPP tune and have your dealer install it.

As far the transmissions go, the manual isn't the greatest but its not horrible either. The 6L80 auto is much stronger than the mt-82. It's a shame Ford didn't give the Mustang paddle shifters.

I've gotta say, I've been pleasantly surprised w/ the manual trans and the shifter. The engagement isn't neck snapping and the shifter throws are short and precise. My Si with it's so called perfect six speed was a lot stiffer and notchier for the first several thousand miles.

I really like the current crop of V8 Mustangs. Even though I am not a Mustang guy, I rent the Hertz V8's every chance I get. They are a blast to drive.

Ford has done a great job with the engine and suspension. As a complete package, it works very well indeed.

I also like the cabin and gauge lighting options very much. I can adjust for the color I like, a very nice feature. Plus there are some interesting digital gauges (A/F ratio, G's, 0-60 and so on) available if you select them.

Given the choice of all conventional Mustangs, I'd pick the Boss 302, or 5.0 with the track package.

Last edited:
Keep in mind you have to option up to the track apps as well. I didn't get it on mine. I just stayed as cheap as I could since I couldn't believe my wife agreed it was a good idea to get a Mustang, lol.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
So somebody please tell me.... what is a paddle shifter??

Something VERY worthless.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Given the choice of all conventional Mustangs, I'd pick the Boss 302, or 5.0 with the track package.

Good luck finding a Boss 302, as they are as rare as hens teeth around here, and priced accordingly. Still a bit of a bargain performance wise, and Ford really did a great job of involving the driver in the car, something many other mfgrs could take a lesson from, IMO.

The Boss 302 was discontinued already. You'd have to go used. Track pack is, of course, still an option. But the great thing about Mustangs is the aftermarket is incredible. You can modify to the absurd....

BrianWC, we need to see some pics of your new ride.
smile.gif

The Boss 302 was discontinued already. You'd have to go used. Track pack is, of course, still an option. But the great thing about Mustangs is the aftermarket is incredible. You can modify to the absurd....

Yes, it actually hurts one's mind just trying to review all of the aftermarket parts/manufacturers available for these cars, and that's just the SERIOUS handling/road race/autocross oriented ones!!!!!!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: HM12460
So somebody please tell me.... what is a paddle shifter??

Something VERY worthless.

Sorry, but only people who have never driven a well-programmed dual-clutch or auto-trans would say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back