2014 Mustang GT info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my other half enjoy driving, so we are considering something as a fun vehicle to add to the garage. I do miss driving a big V8 and after doing a lot of research, the Mustang seems to be the most praised when it comes to comfort, visibility, performance and overall practicality for something not very practical.

Anyone have or driven a 2011-2014 Mustang GT that they could shed some info on? I heard stories about the Chinese sources manual transmission, but I would hope that by the final year in this model's generation things should be good. Seemed to be quality control issues more than anything.

My work deals with Ford's Partner Recognition pricing program so it would be a hassle free buying experience. A base Mustang GT runs a bit over 31k, the partner pricing is $26k. The manager also said how any ford incentives can and will be stacked on top of that price. I need to go there on Monday to see if she is accurate, because if so this could possibly get the price all the way down to $23-$24k. Lots of car for that amount of money.

Again, any user experience would be greatly appreciated!

A BLAST to drive! Especially equipped with a short shifter and a good performance exhaust. I say go for it!

I would worry a bit about the trans. I had big problems in the day with T5 in the GTs, none with the earlier T10 4 speeds.
Mustang is too big and heavy and sightlines too obstructed for me. (Im 6'2").

The new 2014 WRX is suppose to be schweet.

The GT is good bang for the buck. It's giving you M3 performance for about half the money, albeit with less refinement.

If you are going to buy new. I would wait a bit until the 15's come out. Ford may have some big incentives to help the 14's get off the lot by then.

Rented a 2013 V6 one last year, and even though it was an automatic (obviously), I kind of liked it. Not sure which particular version it was, but the suspension was nice and tight. That's in sharp contrast to another V6 Mustang I rented 2 years earlier that felt like a boat.

The V8 manual Mustang sounds like loads of fun for not a lot of money. I would peruse some Mustang boards/forums to see how big of an issue the manual trans is and see what you can do to minimize chances of failure, if possible at all.

The transmissions are just internet hype. I'm a mustang enthusiast. I frequent a bunch of mustang specific sites and I can tell you the whole tranny thing is internet amplification.

That being said the 5.0 with a manual 6 speed is hand built by god himself. I love the whole package.
If you buy one DO NOT GET A TUNER. Period.
Many of these tuning shops are shutting off or limiting knock sensor sensitivity and the number 8 cylinder gets fried and no warranty.
If your going to get it tuned get I'd done by a mustang expert and make sure knock sensor function isn't adjusted.
The 5.0 4v is my dream engine. I'm not too crazy about the car itself but the drivetrain is amazing.

Have a look at a challenger too. The 6.4l hemi is an animal and dodge is building cars like they did in the golden age. Brute torque and tire shredding hp.
If you can find a 6.4l with a manual and mds I'd have to flip a coin whether is want the challenger or mustang.

^^^Agree with the 'internet amplification. These days you must be careful not to get caught up in the Net and over react to the feedback of a very limited number of unhappy owners.

My old pilot buddy has had his Kona Blue GT for some time now and the car has been reliable. Car and Driver had some rear end issue but it was fixed under warranty, and it only seems to appear in the 3.73 geared cars. My biggest problem with the Stang is there are 3 on every street corner.

IMO the Challenger is in a completely different class, as it is much larger, has a much more sophisticated suspension and is an entirely different type of automobile.

Great feedback so far, thanks guys!

Basically this started up as the lady's idea. Her car's lease is currently being paid by her company and this is what kind of brought the idea into the equation. We both drive stick and enjoy a fun driving vehicle. If this partner pricing + incentives is really as good as the dealer makes it seem it would be hard to resist. I hear it's a good hassle-free experience.

As for tuning the car, no thanks. At least for now. More than enough power I would ever need comes in stock form.

The Challenger is basically a Mercedes E-class coupe. It's a huge car and more of a cruiser. Nothing wrong with that, but the Mustang would destroy it at an autocross or track event.

And yes, the transmission issue thing was an extremely vocal minority -- just like everything else in the world.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The Challenger is basically a Mercedes E-class coupe. It's a huge car and more of a cruiser. Nothing wrong with that, but the Mustang would destroy it at an autocross or track event.

And yes, the transmission issue thing was an extremely vocal minority -- just like everything else in the world.

Today's mustangs have gained a lot of weight. I think they are over 4000 pounds. A challenger is 4200 iirc.
The powerbands are different in both cars. The mustang is rev happy and likes rpm,and the powerband is very long due to the dohc and vvt.
The challenger is more torque right off idle and doesn't rev as high.
Both cars are dead sexy.
What rips the scales is mds for me. If the challenger comes equipped with a manual and mds I think that's the route is go.
If no mds on the manual then I'd go with the pony.

Popular misconception, it is NOT an E class or even a derivative. It does contain suspension patents from Merc as well as a ton of their expertise and even software, but the original LX chassis was designed on the Aurburndale Supercomputer and was the first use of hydroformed steel in a passenger car in the US market. Go to Allpar.com for details.

Never count one out at a larger road course, the Stang might beat it on a short course like an autocross, but the longer courses see LX/LC cars beat them every day. Perhaps you didn't see the videos of my old Formula A racing buddy patrick passing RACE PREPPED Stangs at callaboogie in Canada...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In case you haven't seen it...

Just found this link - C&D 2013 Mustang GT long term road test wrap up:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-gt-long-term-test-wrap-up-review

If I had to nitpick, the one thing I'm not a fan of is the speedo/tacho font/lettering - seems hard to read.

Thanks for the link! I agree about the tach/speedo... seems like it's trying too hard for the retro look. Definitely tough to read. I do like how the entire tach flashes red when getting close to redline though. I think you can change your dash colors around too, kinda cool...

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Today's mustangs have gained a lot of weight. I think they are over 4000 pounds. A challenger is 4200 iirc.
The powerbands are different in both cars. The mustang is rev happy and likes rpm,and the powerband is very long due to the dohc and vvt.
The challenger is more torque right off idle and doesn't rev as high.
Both cars are dead sexy.
What rips the scales is mds for me. If the challenger comes equipped with a manual and mds I think that's the route is go.
If no mds on the manual then I'd go with the pony.

I might be wrong, but I believe the new mustangs are the lightest of the bunch, weighing in at around 3600lbs.

- Stang? Overweight and overpowered for no good reason whatsoever. I pass all you performace guys goinig to work in my 93HP Honda. And I don't even need full throttle.
I rented a Sixer Stang in Fl a couple years ago - plenty of go, the trans prog terrible and the "car gestalt thing" was just not there. A nice Looker though.
Ivehad big and small and Fast and slow over 40 years. I keep coming back to small and perky. I REALLY need an Elise or similar. The older M Roadster are great cars often overlooked.
Old guy and Gal V8 'stang drivers? - Posers and soon to be all your wishes go unfulfilled by FORD guaranteed! Ive owned more trhan 5 or 6, I should know. Last one was a pricey DHG 2001 Bullitt. Pretty car.

Last edited:
ARCO, why are you so bitter towards the OP's legitimate question. Being too heavy or overpowered is a matter of opinion, but you state it as fact.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
- Stang? Overweight and overpowered for no good reason whatsoever. I pass all you performace guys goinig to work in my 93HP Honda. And I don't even need full throttle.

crackmeup2.gif

This has nothing to do with the OP's post. Nothing.

The newer Mustangs are kinda heavy (around 3600, IIRC), but not terrible compared to the weight creep a lot of cars have seen over the last 2 decades. Compared to a late fox body, they've only gained 500 - 600 lbs. A lot of other cars have gained far more.

Heck, the 4200+ lb Challenger weighs in within 100 lbs of my Jeep (another good example of weight creep, in the last 20 years, the Grand Cherokee has gained a full 1000 lbs). Cars have gotten heavier and bulkier as a rule, for the most part. Newer safety standards, etc. make it hard to keep the weight down (the 2700 lb BRZ/FRS is a rare exception to that, and even then, if something like that were built 20 years ago, it would have been a few hundred pounds lighter).

Last edited:
The new 5.0 Mustangs have a crazy upper RPM powerband. Seems like they never run out of power and just wanna keep revving. I love the big heavy car feel,just makes it feel solid to me. That's how my Z32 is. It's a tiny car,but feels huge,heavy,and solid when you're driving it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I rented a Sixer Stang in Fl a couple years ago - plenty of go, the trans prog terrible and the "car gestalt thing" was just not there. A nice Looker though.
Ivehad big and small and Fast and slow over 40 years. I keep coming back to small and perky. I REALLY need an Elise or similar. The older M Roadster are great cars often overlooked.
Old guy and Gal V8 'stang drivers? - Posers and soon to be all your wishes go unfulfilled by FORD guaranteed! Ive owned more trhan 5 or 6, I should know. Last one was a pricey DHG 2001 Bullitt. Pretty car.
Spent over $100,000.00 over the years trying to get a good mustang GT but ford didn't build one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back