2014 Jeep Patriot w/ new Powertech 6sp Trans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
I am considering a 2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude it comes with the 2.4 world engine, mated to the a (new to Chrysler) Powertech 6 speed auto transmission. After lots of research on this vehicle my only concern at this point is this transmission. I can't find too much info on it, I believe it is a Hyundai transmission, and that it is a "fluid for life" set up. It does not come with a dipstick to check levels, claiming that if driven under normal conditions fluid should last for the life of the vehicle. I really don't know how to feel about this, I do not drive hard or tow, winters are brutaly cold here in Cleveland though, I mostly drive highway. I could not find if this transmission is completely sealed, or could I do a tranny fluid change 5 years in? Also does anyone know anything about this Tranny, I know it is the new Dodge Darts, I have yet to hear anything bad about it. I assume this 6 speed is also found in several Hyundai's?
Any thoughts info?
Thanks

I've also heard that it is a Hyundai-sourced unit. From what I've read, it's smooth and greatly improves the driveablility of the Patriot/Compass vs. the previous CVT.

The Hyundai tranny is a good one as far as I know. I have a "lifetime" fluid tranny set up in our KIA too. However the manual says the dealer is able to service it for extreme service such as towing, so if you want to have it changed, you can.

I will probably have ours done around 75k even though we are not in severe service just because I'm an anal BITOG'er.

The Patriot 2014 owners manual does have a fluid replacement interval "if you frequently drive: on rough or unpaved roads, on mountain roads, on short trips, in heavy city traffic during hot weather, or if you use the vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing."

The interval is 12 years or 120,000 miles. So, the fluid can be serviced. The dealer is supposed to measure the fluid level at a certain temp. as determined with some type of scan tool.

I have not determined if there is a diy method possible yet. I don't believe in the lifetime fill idea, so I would probably do a change at no more than 60,000 miles. I'm guessing the dealer would charge about $250-$300 for this, because they can.

It's getting tougher to find new vehicles that are perfect in every aspect. It's also tough to find much, if any, bad comments about the 6f24 tranny (a good thing). Powertech has a large new facility in Georgia now. Time will tell.

I will PM you about my mostly good Patriot experience.

I'd go for it, my grandparents have a 2012 Patriot 2.0L CVT. Ita the worst tho ever. It's so slow it can't even get out of its own way.

How is it sealed if it's got a dipstick? That's a step ahead of the game IMO.

The only Hyundai transmissions I owned had a dipstick and a drain plug. 2008 Santa Fe AWD F4A51 4spd auto.

Patriot is a very good vehicle for the $$$. I had a 2011 Latitude 2.4L 4WD(FDI)and it treated me right. I am still on the Patriot forums even though I sold it. Haven't heard any complaints about the new 6spd. Personally, I had no issue with the CVT I had. Worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back