2014 Ford Fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That isn't dark at all. This is what my dipstick looks like after 6,500 miles on my current fill, LOL

4sjsqp.jpg

Haha thats because you have a TDi :p

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Take a picture of the dipstick with oil on it. I think your definition of "dark" is too light. It's probably just dark amber. If the oil really is pitch black & sludging up after 6k miles then the only explanation is that your GF is using too low of a gear and the engine is revving way too high all the time which would also explain the MPG drop.

This looks perfectly normal after 6K miles. Like I said, this is more of a dark amber colour rather than real dark dark oil.

In regards to the MPG drop, are you gauging this by the instant mpg readout? If so, that can vary significantly.

MPG is something that varies significantly depending on the weather conditions, traffic, tire pressure, weather, how hard your driving, etc....

If anything, in this weather, check your tire pressure.

That isn't dark at all. This is what my dipstick looks like after 6,500 miles on my current fill, LOL

4sjsqp.jpg

That isn't normal. Maybe try shorter OCIs.
smile.gif

Dipstick looks good to me - not overly dirty. It's possible the M1 is cleaning up previous abuse, a process that the MC synblend started. What was the mileage on the car when you bought it? Was it an ex-lease or ex-rental car? Both of those rarely get much maintenance - I have seen that 1st hand many times. As to the 15mpg mileage drop - no way M1 caused that.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
That isn't normal. Maybe try shorter OCIs.
smile.gif

For a diesel, the color is quite normal.

As for whether the oil is still suitable for continued use, only a UOA can answer that.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Dipstick looks good to me - not overly dirty. It's possible the M1 is cleaning up previous abuse, a process that the MC synblend started. What was the mileage on the car when you bought it? Was it an ex-lease or ex-rental car? Both of those rarely get much maintenance - I have seen that 1st hand many times. As to the 15mpg mileage drop - no way M1 caused that.

It had about 50 miles on it. Bought it brand new. The MC was only in for about 3k. If it's just being cleaned the PU should be the best choice for it.

4sjsqp.jpg

From a diesel?

I've never in my life had motor oil get that dark, but then I don't run more than 5k OCI either. Not even the old lawn mowers.

Originally Posted By: RGR

From a diesel?

I've never in my life had motor oil get that dark, but then I don't run more than 5k OCI either. Not even the old lawn mowers.
Lol yes it's a diesel

That figures. When I saw the car in the sig I thought I should ask to make sure. I almost bought one last year, hemmed and hawed, want Mazda to get off their butts and get the Mazda6 diesel out there, but I can just see myself going crazy over oil that looked like that. I'd be changing it every 1000 miles trying to get the engine clean enough to make it STOP.

I'd be changing it every 1000 miles trying to get the engine clean enough to make it STOP.

And it would still be black. Just because the oil is black in a diesel engine, doesn't mean the engine is dirty inside. If the oil is changed regularly in a diesel engine, it will be just as clean inside as the gas engine.
The main reason oil gets so black in diesel engines is the EGR. If you remove the EGR, the oil will stay as clean as in the gas engine because it no longer gets loaded with soot.

Get it back to the dealer on the low MPG.

The only way an oil change could reduce your mileage that much would be that you still have one of the ramps stuck under the car.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

The only way an oil change could reduce your mileage that much would be that you still have one of the ramps stuck under the car.

It didn't reduce it, 8t went back up to 45+ from 29 with M1 0W-20 EP on a side note Mobil Web site no longer lists the Ford spec WSS-M2C945-A for the 0w-20 EP or AFE. Perhaps they found a problem with it not lastig as I did?

Well PU 5w-20 has ACEA 1A/1B and neither Mobil product does (0W-20 or 5W-20) so maybe it will be better. Or the fact it's 5W-20 will be the only factor. If this doesn't work I'm switching to PYB @ 5k OICs

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'd be changing it every 1000 miles trying to get the engine clean enough to make it STOP.

And it would still be black. Just because the oil is black in a diesel engine, doesn't mean the engine is dirty inside.

I know. But I would still probably do it anyway just to prove to myself, empirically, that the effort was fruitless. Because it would REALLY [censored] me off.

Originally Posted By: Krisz

The main reason oil gets so black in diesel engines is the EGR. If you remove the EGR, the oil will stay as clean as in the gas engine because it no longer gets loaded with soot.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy one because of that as well. Plus I'm not convinced a VW would make it home from the dealership without the CEL coming on (had this happen to a buddy) so it wouldn't be a car I would ever start messing with mechanically in any way for fear of the stealership to begin..stealing.

It didn't reduce it, 8t went back up to 45+ from 29 with M1 0W-20 EP on a side note Mobil Web site no longer lists the Ford spec WSS-M2C945-A for the 0w-20 EP or AFE. Perhaps they found a problem with it not lastig as I did?

Boy, I don't know how just another within spec oil could cause that kind of mileage drop. So they don't claim it now, I just checked the M1 0w-20 EP I collected during the Autozone fracas for just that spec for my Ford and it was there. And even if it wasn't on a new bottle I bought today, I'm not sure I would care much, because I find it unlikely they would decide to start throwing sand in as a ingredient in their motor oils one afternoon and hoping folks the world don't notice.

Boy, I don't know how just another within spec oil could cause that kind of mileage drop. So they don't claim it now, I just checked the M1 0w-20 EP I collected during the Autozone fracas for just that spec for my Ford and it was there. And even if it wasn't on a new bottle I bought today, I'm not sure I would care much, because I find it unlikely they would decide to start throwing sand in as a ingredient in their motor oils one afternoon and hoping folks the world don't notice.

Maybe the bottle is from an older run. check out the mobil ep 0w-20 and then 5w20 they took the 945 spec off the approved list on there site for all there 0w-20 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back