2014 Dodge Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yep^^^ manual only, no slushbox offered.

Has ABS and stability control now, too. An amazing chassis in search of a nice stroker V8 IMO!

Widely regarded as a great used car bargain, they are tough and hold up well at the track. I never drove ANYTHING that was as smoothly controllable at the limit as a Viper is.

But it sure is pretty!

A punched out, current, Hemi with ALL of the NA power building 'tricks' would fit the bill, AND give it even better yet weight distribution, and lower overall weight!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

I want that all aluminum crate motor they sell. Lightening up the front end would require some springs and suspension tuning, but I feel the result would be worth it.

And don't think this is like your Grandpa's Viper. Check out this lap of Lagune Seca against the mighty ZR-1:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013...leguna-seca.pdf

This car is completely different in all the important areas, one very slick car from guys who LOVE cars...

I was NOT dissing the current car ONE BIT!!

Just that it could be that much more beyond belief in performance with that extra weight off of the nose (and yes, with the requisite spring, sway bar, etc. tuning).
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
34.gif

I think the V10 is important for the car just because its not a V8. It just makes the car a bit exotic and "better" than a V8 Vette, even if its not performance wise.
Most guys won't ever take it on a road course anyways and 1st gear spanks almost anything going light to light with simple NA engine driveability.
My impression of the 2001 I drove is that you feel that you are driving the engine around. Sort of like a hotwheels car, but without the motor sticking up through the hood. Maybe a corvette is similar?, never driven one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think the V10 is important for the car just because its not a V8. It just makes the car a bit exotic and "better" than a V8 Vette, even if its not performance wise.
Most guys won't ever take it on a road course anyways and 1st gear spanks almost anything going light to light with simple NA engine driveability.
My impression of the 2001 I drove is that you feel that you are driving the engine around. Sort of like a hotwheels car, but without the motor sticking up through the hood. Maybe a corvette is similar?, never driven one.

I haven't driven a new one, but I have significant seat time at a Skip Barber event in Homestead a few years ago.

It feels very clumsy in any normal driving. The gear ratios seem way too long, the engine sounds like a UPS truck and the amenities are sparse. AC is barely functional and the gearshift lever gets so hot that you must be cautious not to touch it! Then there's the sidepipes which will burn your leg, too.

But out on the track everything changes. Absolutely a sweetheart at speed, beautiful steering feedback, and some fabulous chassis behavior, I could literally set the car in a corner and adjust the line like a surgeon with my right foot. Many think they are tail happy, but on the track the thing was wonderful...

I was actually surprised how precise and direct the steering was, only did a couple hard corners and certainly not steering with the throttle(only in a straight-ish line to keep it straight) but the chassis felt well planted and ready to do whatever you tell it, good idea or not!
Just that the motor is impressive, something about having 1L of dispacement for less than 400lbs of car I guess, and you are offset in the car due to the motor, and how you feel/hear the motor right through the whole car.
Overkill gave me a brief ride in the M5 and on paper they nearly have the same torque and power curves but they certainly feel different in how they get their results.

If 10 cylinders makes it more exotic than V8 cars, why stop there? Nothing beats a smooth V12! V10 is that weird middle child in between V8s and V12s. Who wouldn't want two inline 6 in a V bank?

The viper started life with a warmed over truck engine and has come a long way, but for this much coin i'd like to see a V12 or V8 twin turbo.

Dodge used the V10 in the early 90's because that's what they had. They took their truck engine to Lamborghini since they owned part of them at the time, and Lambo sent them back something that would fit in a sports car instead of a 1 ton Dodge truck.

Now it has more to do with the personality of the car. Just like you will never see a V6 or 4 cylinder Corvette you will never see a Viper without its V10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back