2014 3.6 Pentastar filter thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3.6 Pentastar specs a new oil filter for 2014...with a new Jeep Wrangler to play with I've been plotting my OCIs and filter usage...

Locally available (Southeast Michigan, centered around Dearborn) I've found these filters in stock so far:

Mopar oil filter (68191349AA) USA Dealer/$8.85
Wix oil filter (WL10010) South Korea O’Reilly/$6.99
Fram Extra Guard oil filter (CH11665) USA Walmart/$6.44

Napa said they could order a Napa Gold for me (I hear they're made by Wix??)
Autozone didn't have any Frams in stock but could order.

I had the oil changed at a Pennzoil place, providing my own Mopar filter (PP 5w20) at 2665 miles.
I then changed it myself at 7077 miles with another PP 5w20 fill and a Mopar filter.

(This is the Mopar filter with 4412 miles on it.)

Just curious what others will be doing with this motor -- it is ubiquitous across the Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep lines.

Right now I'm going with an OCI of around 4000 miles, as my Jeep is seeing close to 70% off-road in northern Michigan, with lots of dust and sand in the mix. Seems like the limiting factor might be the filters (including air filter), not the oil at this point...

The Mopar and Wix look very similar despite being made in different countries. The Fram has very different end piece construction and the cage with the small o-ring looks a bit different, though they seem to be dimensionally similar. (That cage is the bottom of the filter, btw.) Fram is not showing anything but the Extra Guard so far. For want of a better term, the Mopar and Wix filters look 'fuzzier' than the Fram, which looks more paper-like.

Opinions about the filters (and other options) greatly appreciated. I'll be staying with the PP (or maybe try the new Ultra) while the Jeep is under warranty, so that's a constant...

Thanks,

Commo

I've got a late model year 2013 Pentastar with the old filter. I used a Napa gold on the first OCI and haven't decided what to use for the second. Talk about a slacker.. I did the first OCI at ~7500mi and I'm due for another now at 15K. I've got a free OC coupon for the dealer and a yearly state inspection due in August, so she might see the dealer for the freebie.

Last edited:
I am only using oe filters in our 2014 200 S with the 3.6L motor. I'm the type that doesn't want to second guess oil filters so I always just use oe filters.

For your engine and the choices pictured, I'd probably go with the Fram. It looks quite good, though the Mopar also looks outstanding. The only knock against the Wix is non-US sourced.

My wife's 2011 uses the older design and its available in the Purolator P1 line, so that's my pick for it, though I think it was also non-US sourced:

IMG_2055_zps971f1adf.jpg

Hengst must make the oil filter assembly as their web site shows examples of their work that look close to identical to the Pentastar assembly -- yet they're not showing an updated (2014+) filter on their look-up widget. The photo they show doesn't have the little superstructure with small o-ring that the 2014 requires.

But it makes sense that they are making the Mopar filter.

Both Mobil 1 and Purolator web sites indicate they have a filter for the 2014 but I haven't seen one in a store yet...

I'm comfortable with any of those I've shown at 4,000 miles OCI, but will probably use the Mopar filters out through the warranty period just to negate any argument should catastrophe strike...;)

BTW, (guestimating) it looks like Fiat/Chrysler is using this motor in 17 vehicles so with that volume I would hope the aftermarket filter makers will bring out examples in their premier 'synthetic' lines for it...

Commo

Last edited:
Just bumping this up to see if any more info on these filters. I picked up a Charger this week that uses the 3.6

I got a Fram tonight to take a look at it. It does seem well put together as most of their cartridge do.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Anyone know why the design of the filter changed for 2014 on the pentastar?

Lots or manufactures going green. Since there is no steel, multiply that by millions of cars, and you have substantially less metal going into land fills.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Lots or manufactures going green. Since there is no steel, multiply that by millions of cars, and you have substantially less metal going into land fills.

They have always been a cartridge filter, but the '14 models use a different design. I haven't heard the exact reason, but I'll take my best guess. The old design did not have an ADBV. Thus, you had to check the oil when the engine was hot. If you didn't, the dipstick reading was way off (over-full). It probably was a different mindset, that people couldn't get used to, and resulted in too many issues. I have one of each design. I don't have problems with either, but it did take some getting used to checking the oil when hot.

My brother in law just got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition and I can't find a premium filter anywhere for him. He is going to go with Mobil 1 5W20, but nobody offers a premium filter for it, do they?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

They have always been a cartridge filter, but the '14 models use a different design. I haven't heard the exact reason, but I'll take my best guess. The old design did not have an ADBV. Thus, you had to check the oil when the engine was hot. If you didn't, the dipstick reading was way off (over-full). It probably was a different mindset, that people couldn't get used to, and resulted in too many issues. I have one of each design. I don't have problems with either, but it did take some getting used to checking the oil when hot.

I heard it was done to help with reducing/eliminating start up noise after the vehicle sat for a while. The older Pentastar engines didn't have the ADBV type filter design, and there were complaints about noise after the vehicle sat. All the oil would drain back to the oil pan since the filter high up on the engine.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
My brother in law just got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition and I can't find a premium filter anywhere for him. He is going to go with Mobil 1 5W20, but nobody offers a premium filter for it, do they?

No premium filters for the 2015 at this time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I heard it was done to help with reducing/eliminating start up noise after the vehicle sat for a while. The older Pentastar engines didn't have the ADBV type filter design, and there were complaints about noise after the vehicle sat. All the oil would drain back to the oil pan since the filter high up on the engine.

That would explain the valve/cam chatter I hear for the first couple of seconds on startup. I'm shocked that Chrysler only thought of this after the fact
33.gif

Chrysler went to the redesigned filter to consolidate part numbers and only have one filter to stock going forward for all their V6 engines both 3.6 gas and their 3.O Eco diesel that went into the Grand Cherokee starting this year.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That would explain the valve/cam chatter I hear for the first couple of seconds on startup. I'm shocked that Chrysler only thought of this after the fact
33.gif

Yes address the issue after the fact, it happens all the time though. They killed two birds with one stone with the filter redesign. They addressed a problem and consolidated part numbers. Not much the owners of the early Pentastar engine can do to eliminate the valve/cam chatter. They claim its harmless.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Chrysler went to the redesigned filter to consolidate part numbers and only have one filter to stock going forward for all their V6 engines both 3.6 gas and their 3.O Eco diesel that went into the Grand Cherokee starting this year.

This was posted on Allpar as a possibility but I don't think it came true as the VM diesels still seem to have a different filter. I will try to remember to check next time I get my son to log me into Chrysler tech.

As for the ADBV, the original has some sort of ADB because mine will release more oil if I drain the pan and then remove the filter. There is a center post that I am assuming performs maybe ADB & bypass functions.

Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Pentastar-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-015.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back