2013 Tahoe clunk, pop, and shake.

I have a 2013 tahoe that now has 160,000 miles that I bought for cheap back in the spring time. The problems have not gotten worse but annoying. First, at highway speed if I hit a patch of rough road or a series of bumps I’ll get a shake in the steering wheel. A couple times it was actually kind of violent but most of the time it’s a shake and then it goes away quickly. Definitely not tire related.

Second, and this might be related, with the wheels turned all the way to the right and then backing out of a driveway I’ll get a nice clunk when the left front tire drops off the curb. That’s has only happened twice since I’ve owned the thing so I’m not super concerned.

Third, the Tahoe has a clunk in the drive line and that might just be the typical GM drive line clunk that doesn’t hurt anything. That clunk reminds me of a bad engine mount. I did go over the front suspension and engine mounts upon the lift today and I can not find anything out of place or obviously wrong. It has just a tiny bit of play at the right hand steering rack bushing. I also did the bake torque test on the engine mounts to watch for excessive movement or noise and all looked normal. Other then the slight movement at the right hand steering rack bushing I’ve got nothing.
What are the common things to watch for on these trucks?

Lower ball joints. I just replaced mine. Huge difference. GM lower ball joints wear out first. I couldnt feel any play myself. I took it to a garage and with it up on the hoist and a long bar was able to see the movement. I replaced them myself. Once the steering knuckle was off I could make the ball joint bounce around with my two fingers.

well that is certainly harder to find over internet than in person ;) .. but how are you checking.

The ole tire shake in midair doesnt always work.
Yeah the tire shake and a visual inspection on the hoist. Might have to put it back up in the air and give it a really good pry bar inspection as stated above

I have a 2013 tahoe that now has 160,000 miles that I bought for cheap back in the spring time. The problems have not gotten worse but annoying. First, at highway speed if I hit a patch of rough road or a series of bumps I’ll get a shake in the steering wheel. A couple times it was actually kind of violent but most of the time it’s a shake and then it goes away quickly. Definitely not tire related.

Second, and this might be related, with the wheels turned all the way to the right and then backing out of a driveway I’ll get a nice clunk when the left front tire drops off the curb. That’s has only happened twice since I’ve owned the thing so I’m not super concerned.

Third, the Tahoe has a clunk in the drive line and that might just be the typical GM drive line clunk that doesn’t hurt anything. That clunk reminds me of a bad engine mount. I did go over the front suspension and engine mounts upon the lift today and I can not find anything out of place or obviously wrong. It has just a tiny bit of play at the right hand steering rack bushing. I also did the bake torque test on the engine mounts to watch for excessive movement or noise and all looked normal. Other then the slight movement at the right hand steering rack bushing I’ve got nothing.
What are the common things to watch for on these trucks?
For that driveline issue, wise to check the U joints. Co worker just went thru that on older full size blazer and it was U joints

Back