2013 Ram 1500 QC 6 speed transmission fluid/filter change fluid level?

irv

Finally got around to changing out the 6 speed transmission fluid/filters on my 13 1500 Ram Bighorn 4x4 (95,000km') and I am curious, as the info is tough to find, imo, where, exactly the level should be on the dipstick when hot? Should the level be between the 2 "HOT" dots at the top of the hashmark area on the dipstick or is anywhere in the middle fine? The transmission fluid change was done at my buddies shop where he allowed the transmission to drain overnight. So far, due to this I believe, I've added 9 liters of Pennzoil ATF+4 but it still isn't to the first hole in the hot area. Should, when the trans is hot at 74-75c (167F), be at or between these 2 hot marks like I've already stated, or is that too much and the middle is fine?
Finding info on this is tough as everything I see is 8 sp, which, as anyone knows, is a whole different animal.
Thanks in advance. 🍻

1676842490414.png

1676842666071.png

Per Starparts techconnect content and Mopar service library.

View attachment 141126
View attachment 141129

Per Starparts techconnect content and Mopar service library.
Thanks, Samrsnow. Looks like I have to get the transmission a bit hotter first before I measure again? Drove about 20+km's the other day and the hottest it would get is 74c (165-166F) but since I am still down from the lower hot hole, I guess adding another 250mils wouldn't hurt?

In the future, keep in mind that the best way to change the ATF on most transmissions is to do it cold, measure how much you drained, and then refill with the same amount.

Looks like I have to get the transmission a bit hotter first before I measure again? Drove about 20+km's the other day and the hottest it would get is 74c (165-166F)
The distance you drove would have gotten it hot given the conditions so you might need to load the bed with some weight or pull a trailer to get it hotter (looks like 180 or 182º F on the chart ??). That said, if you don't want to do that, add 250ml and drive some more, check the level. Repeat until you get between the dots and call it good.

Since you have a dipstick, that's the final determining factor.

The distance you drove would have gotten it hot given the conditions so you might need to load the bed with some weight or pull a trailer to get it hotter (looks like 180 or 182º F on the chart ??). That said, if you don't want to do that, add 250ml and drive some more, check the level. Repeat until you get between the dots and call it good.

Since you have a dipstick, that's the final determining factor.
That is exactly what I plan on doing shortly.
Thanks.
Just and FYI. The transmission fluid was still mint looking and my bud said he hasn't encountered a cleaner looking transmission pan nor magnet. I towed a couple sleds and a boat but not with any regularity since new so I was real happy to hear that.

Attachments

• IMG_0510 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0510 (Large).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0659 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0659 (Large).JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 3
Got the transmission up to 75-76c (168f) and added about 100-125 mils and it is now just covering the bottom hole on the upper hot section. I figure, without being able to get it in the 180 degree range, this is likely ideal? I will keep an eye on it however.

I'd call it good. Theoretically, if the fluid got a little hotter, it should rise on the dipstick as well.

If you look at the graph posted earlier, the lines are fairly linear. At 170º F, here's about where you should be on the dipstick:

1676926508851.jpg

Reactions: irv
Back