2013 Pilot - Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've have owned a 2010 and now 2013 Pilot. I sold my 2010 pilot with 70K on it because I started consuming 1Q of oil every 1000 miles and honda or no one could find any problems. Fast forwad, my 2013 oil light came on the other day and at 2500 miles since my last oil change I was 1 quart of oil down. I am concerned about this kinda of oil consumption and whether or not it is normal? or could it just be a Pilot problem? I am thinking about just moving to another car again because something just doesn't sit well with me about this. Thoughts?

don't buy Honda V6?

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Toyota's V6 the best design in it's class? I read in a article linked here.

I'm inline 4 until inline 6 come back like they use in the BMWs of today!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
don't buy Honda V6?

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Toyota's V6 the best design in it's class? I read in a article linked here.

I'm inline 4 until inline 6 come back like they use in the BMWs of today!
There isn't much nicer than a straight 6 with a good exhaust instead of a computer chip noise maker. I'm currently hunting for a Lexus IS 250 with the in line six. THe V8 boys used to say the inline crankshaft was too long and "stuff happened" but that ptoblem was solved long ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There isn't much nicer than a straight 6 with a good exhaust instead of a computer chip noise maker.

are you referring to sound?

Inline 6 > Straight 6 , according to Physics, no?

Buy a Toyota. No car in my family or one I've owned has consumed oil at a rate anywhere close to that (Besides my brothers 96' Lexus, found out the PO had 20w50 in it to sell it). After 7,500 miles on my current OCI, I've had to top off less than half a quart. IMO what you're going through isn't acceptable. Try the Toyota version of your car.

If you decide to switch manufacturers, definitely don't look at Subaru. They have the market cornered in the world of oil consumption.
AND they'll tell you it's normal, no issue, all engines use oil, blah blah blah.

I wish I had stuck with a boring Toyota....

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

You're answer may be found in the link posted in the first response.

That's an eye-opener for me as a long time Honda loyalist....

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There isn't much nicer than a straight 6 with a good exhaust instead of a computer chip noise maker.

are you referring to sound?

Inline 6 > Straight 6 , according to Physics, no?
A V6 is two inline threes on the same crank. Two exhaust manifolds rather than one. The sound of a V6 with a true dual system is very interesting. Older Toyota FWD V6 installations have an "unusual" exhaust setup in which one bank exits directly while the other joins it via a longer pipe and at a 90 angle. There are aftemarket pieces to change this to equal length pipes and a "Y" tather than half a "T". It's an improvement in sound as well as performance.
Nissian is doing something with the V6 exhaust in their newer cars which sounds very good. I haven't yet been nutty enough to crawl under one in a parking lot to see what they are doing.
Toyota V6 sedans have plenty of muffler, it's when the modification guys get ahold of one and stick on an aftermarket system with "low restriction" that the unusual sound of the "L" becomes irritating and then they go looking for a Y kit to replace the "T".

Last edited:
Thanks, this helps...I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this...I called Honda and of course, they say my car isn't part of this lawsuit remedy

about 50/50 and drive 20K miles per year. Normal driving, nothing excessive...never been off road or pulled anything.

about 50/50 city versus highway and put on about 20K a year...normal driving, but never off road or pull anything.

I know - don't think I feel stupid now...just thought that it was a bad luck on the first - and didn't think Honda had a "systemic" problem with this car...silly me

That kind of consumption in such young vehicle with fairly low mileage is simply unacceptable, most likely going to a thicker oil will not solve the problem, so that leaves a mechanical intervention. If Honda is not willing to help, vote with your wallet and move to another manufacturer. Cut your loses and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back